Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Today I just finished up another project... I usually do galaxies, but I also do nebulae.... This one is the Wizard nebula in Narrow Band colors... The filters only let through a narrow band of the light spectrum within 3 nm of the doubly ionized Oxygen frequency (OIII) and the Ionized Sulfur (SII) and 5nm of the ionized Hydrogen,(Ha). They are mapped as Sulfur being red, Hydrogen being green and Oxygen being blue. This one is 30 total hours of exposure time on the camera.

https://www.astrobin.com/full/357259/0/

·
That’s Mister Chalet To You ....
7,744 Posts
30 hour exposure? I went back to the first pics to check-out your equatorial mount. Damn... that's not the stuff you rent from the astronomy store lol. I also noticed the garage door opener set-up to move your roof on & off. I imagine you A/C to pre-cool the whole place before opening even..... Nah that's more Mauna Kea than Mount Wilson. Damn.

So you're taking pics over the course of several nights? Pretty neat that the subject is so far away that the earth / camera will have moved around 1.6 million miles between every exposure (24 hrs) without changing perspective (noticeably, anyway).

You doing any spectroscopy in there too?

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
30 hour exposure? I went back to the first pics to check-out your equatorial mount. Damn... that's not the stuff you rent from the astronomy store lol. I also noticed the garage door opener set-up to move your roof on & off. I imagine you A/C to pre-cool the whole place before opening even..... Nah that's more Mauna Kea than Mount Wilson. Damn.

So you're taking pics over the course of several nights? Pretty neat that the subject is so far away that the earth / camera will have moved around 1.6 million miles between every exposure (24 hrs) without changing perspective (noticeably, anyway).

You doing any spectroscopy in there too?

I do have a heating and cooling system for the scope itself to keep it thermally stable. You'd be surprised how much temperatures even 2 degrees will affect focus and boundary layer air turbulence on the surface of the mirrors. The CCD chip I keep cooled to -30C to decrease the thermal noise in the electronics.

Most of my images take 3 to 4 good nights to gather enough information to make a relatively noise free composite image. :)
And nope, I don't do any of the spectroscopy as of yet... the astrophotography I do keeps me busy enough.. and broke enough.. LOL

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
About this Discussion
25 Replies
13 Participants
duc1098
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing