Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All the swedish bikemags claim that it´s virtually impossible to find an -86 gixxer in this condition....but i did and know she´s all mine

One question though: the 4-1 exhaust (sings lovely..
) has no make on it and the dealer has´nt a clue. I´ve ruled out Yoshi and V&H but perhaps Laser or Arrow....ideas anyone??

·
Jurassic Skool
79,800 Posts
Not impossible to find one, but it is a little challenging.
Mine was found completely original, except for the seat's black cover.

Nice looking bodywork on it. Shame about the yellow wheels.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, those wheels wont be yellow for long...i´m a sucker for orginal stuff.

So, any ideas regarding the exhaust? The "end pipe" on the can has quite a sharp downward angle which i´ve seen on some systems like Arrow and Laser but that does´nt help me without a label or some markings.

·
Jurassic Skool
79,800 Posts
Good to hear on the wheels.
What WAS the original owner thinking...

No ideas on the exhaust. Mine's still the original Suzuki equipment. Somebody on here might recognize it though.

Was just looking over the pic... your fork tube (inside the fairing) looks too clean. Are you missing the steering damper? I don't see the fork bracket for it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
beats the hell out of me...they´ll be shinin black in no time

Steering damper? Hmm...i missed that one....do you have a pic on how it´s supposed to look like?? I hav´nt picked up the bike yet so i can still harass the dealer...

·
Jurassic Skool
79,800 Posts
I don't really have one pic that shows it right, at least not from here at work, so here's a couple from two angles. One shows that bracket I was noticing that seemed to be missing, the other is since I polished up the replacement damper from this spring.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, thanx a bunch. And this damper is standard on the 86?

I´ve sent the dealer a mail so i guess we´ll see what happens.

·
Jurassic Skool
79,800 Posts
Standard equipment on the 86 1100s. There should be a tab off the steering head portion of the frame for it. You can almost make it out in the second pic. Not uncommon for them to develop leaks, and it might have been just taken off, since they aren't rebuildable. Bad choice, imho. The tricky part would be to locate the fork bracket for it. It's considered a separate part.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Standard equipment on the 86 1100s. There should be a tab off the steering head portion of the frame for it. You can almost make it out in the second pic. Not uncommon for them to develop leaks, and it might have been just taken off, since they aren't rebuildable. Bad choice, imho. The tricky part would be to locate the fork bracket for it. It's considered a separate part.
ok. So what youre saying is that it might be hard to find a new one? How will it affect the handling if i ride without the damper?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
nice bike! they might not be orig. but I like the wheels....but then I like colors that clash
Thanks!! No, the yellow wheels are not original but they´ll be back in black in no time...

·
Jurassic Skool
79,800 Posts
ok. So what youre saying is that it might be hard to find a new one? How will it affect the handling if i ride without the damper?
Not impossible to find, just not real easy. You can probably get an aftermarket one easier, which isn't a bad thing. Don't know what they're like riding without one. Mine's always had it. Helps to have one to avoid tank slappers. Lots of guys put aftermarket ones on the 750s, which didn't come with them.

That's not to say the bike's useless without one, but it's good leverage to negotiate a slightly better price out of the dealer if you haven't signed anything, or maybe he'd toss a good deal on something else. I wouldn't refuse the bike on account of it missing, but it never hurts to ask.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Great looking bike. Ck out these dampers for your bike. They are fairly cheap and work great. You are gonna want some kind of damper. click here BTW, I have never seen that exhaust and I thought I had seen them all. lol.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Oh. That's that new $20 exhaust for cheapos. You don't want that. I'll take it off your hands for 30.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not impossible to find, just not real easy. You can probably get an aftermarket one easier, which isn't a bad thing. Don't know what they're like riding without one. Mine's always had it. Helps to have one to avoid tank slappers. Lots of guys put aftermarket ones on the 750s, which didn't come with them.

That's not to say the bike's useless without one, but it's good leverage to negotiate a slightly better price out of the dealer if you haven't signed anything, or maybe he'd toss a good deal on something else. I wouldn't refuse the bike on account of it missing, but it never hurts to ask.
Ok. I´ve talked to the dealer who promised to check if the damper was missing. If that was the case he would give me 50% off on a new one....
did anyone say Öhlins??

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh. That's that new $20 exhaust for cheapos. You don't want that. I'll take it off your hands for 30.
yeah right...nice try buddy....
i can´t figure out why my exhaust is so amusing...the rims ok, but in my eyes, the 4-1 looks sweeeet...

·
Premium Member
3,306 Posts
Go to Ebay and buy a stock one off any new GSX-R I swear that they are the same part after all these years. Troy341

1 - 20 of 24 Posts