Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found a good deal on a K5 1000 frame with a title so I decided to upgrade my old K1 "750".

Frame didn't have the recall done, so that was the first thing to do.

A month later.

The engine was fully rebuilt two years ago when I did a 1K engine swap and we did some performance mods.

Modified pistons, we used K7-K8 1000 pistons because they are supposed to be stronger than K5-K6 1000 pistons. Decked head and block (total 1.22mm) to raise comp to ~14:1, K7-K8 1000 cams + APE gears, Yoshimura valve cotters and APE ti retainers. Also the normal upgrades like APE MCCT, Akrapovic full system and Factory pro shift star.

I used K8 1000 electronics system because K8 ECU is fully compatible with EcuEditor and WRT software. IAP/TPS fuel maps and IGN map are custom mapped on a dyno and I have made some fine tuning using Woolich Logbox.

Front forks are K9 1000 with Andreani cartridge kit and rear shock is revalved SU-149 Öhlins to suit linear linkage, longer swingarm and 1K's power.

My friend's stock -15 S1000RR, my bike and someone's K5 1000 with a full system and custom map.

I'll use some of the old parts like Spondon swingarm, suspension, rearsets and lights.

Parts I have bought so far:
A set of race fairings with a K7 tail because it looks better than a K5 tail. :)
SES front fairing stay
K7-K8 Motoholders rear subframe
Renthal clip ons

A new swingarm pivot axle

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
9,699 Posts
"A Suzuki dealer did the recall. The original bike was imported from Germany and the VIN wasn't in Suzuki Finland's database, so it took a bit longer before they ordered the parts."

The sense that I got from your original post is that you started with a bare frame. Did you simply take it to the dealer? If so, I'm a bit surprised that Suzuki wanted anything to do with it. I guess that there are some ongoing liability issues with a defective part but their responsibility ought to be much lower here.

There are some associated under cowling replacement parts that I assume you didn't get since you're using aftermarket race fairings.

·
Premium Member
3,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
"A Suzuki dealer did the recall. The original bike was imported from Germany and the VIN wasn't in Suzuki Finland's database, so it took a bit longer before they ordered the parts."

The sense that I got from your original post is that you started with a bare frame. Did you simply take it to the dealer? If so, I'm a bit surprised that Suzuki wanted anything to do with it. I guess that there are some ongoing liability issues with a defective part but their responsibility ought to be much lower here.

There are some associated under cowling replacement parts that I assume you didn't get since you're using aftermarket race fairings.
A bare frame is the same thing as a whole bike as long as the VIN checks out good.

I got also these, but won't need them.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
9,699 Posts
^Yep. Instead of a stepped mounting screw, they use a standard screw, washer, and a flanged spacer. I think the effect is to push the cowling outward slightly. I've never seen a part-to-part comparison but the underside of the new parts must have additional clearances.

I continue to be amazed that they added the brace to a bare frame. In the US I'd expect to be told to buzz off.

Or can I show up at the dealership with this (claimed 4 miles and clean title) and they'll give me a new frame?

·
Premium Member
73,384 Posts
So in your logic, I should have waited until I have put the bike together and then the frame would be ok?
No, what he is saying is the here is the US, if we were to bring a bare frame to a dealership and ask for the frame brace to be put on, they would tell us to fuck off.

It would have to be a complete bike for them to work on it.

Reactions: marcadamski

·
Premium Member
3,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No, what he is saying is the here is the US, if we were to bring a bare frame to a dealership and ask for the frame brace to be put on, they would tell us to fuck off.

It would have to be a complete bike for them to work on it.
Yes, I get that and it would be poor customer service and wouldn't make any sense. But there's a frame recall thread for more speculation...

1 - 20 of 106 Posts