Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Everybody is waiting, but you are probably too tired to lift your arms and type...lol

How did it go? How many more did you sign up for while you were there?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Forget everything you've learned in 25 years. Everything will be extremely exaggerated at the track (throttle, braking, leaning, etc.). Make sure you've booked a track day that includes coaching. Spending your first track day without classroom sessions is almost a waste of the day because you're going to be spending most of it getting out of everyone else's way and finding the right/safest lines. The number one rule I have for the track is leave your ego at the gate. You're not going to be the fastest guy there, and even though it's your first day you probably won't be the slowest one either. Your bike is expensive, ride it like such. Take things easy. You'll be dragging knee by noon I guarantee it. Make sure your tires aren't cold for the first sessions (3 warm-up laps and 1-2 for the rest). The track takes time to heat up itself so note that as well. Novice is usually the last on the track but still... Did I mention leave your ego at the door. Most importantly though, have fun! Don't forget the key either! Trust me... I've seen it happen more than once!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Anddddddddddddd I just saw I'm late to the post :lol: !!! Looks like you had fun but your tire wear isn't great. That thing will be toast in no time! Look into adjusting your rebound adjustment (more rebound) and perhaps bump up your rear psi by 1-2. Hows the front look? You really shouldn't have chatter in the middle like that on a street-tire. Your wear should look like finely grated cheese not as thick and clumped as it is. You're probably already noticing how hard it is to remove that gunk today aren't you?

And if I can recommend anything for future track days, put some protection on that beauty. Everything BUT frame sliders (unless you put low-profile woodcraft pucks). I had these long shogun ones on my previous bike and a 45mph low side at the track had her spinning like an olympic gymnast till a frame tab broke... $60 slider turned into a $3000 frame replacement. Also OEM tank+fairings are no less than $2600 for take-offs and likely extremely hard to find for such a new bike.. so it might be worth it to invest in a set of $700 track fairings. Better to have them and not need them, then need them and not have one. As "safe" as the track is, you're doing extremely high speeds and all it takes it a little cold rubber, brake fade, or under-compensation, to turn an easy corner into a run-off!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks for the info GLopez...I had such a great time. I did set the tire pressure but have not touched suspension at all. That is something Im planning to do. I'm hooked and im certainly going again. I was not the fastest by a long shot but faster than many. It took awhile just to get used to getting passed when I was doing 150 mph....hehe I did realize that its so much technique involved and I have a new found respect for racers.....I did take classes which helped tremendously

·
Registered
184 Posts
The track is definitely a humbling experience. Getting passed on the outside by a girl on a 400 while you are knee down and scared to death that the bike can't take any more lean angle...been there! Like you said, you have a whole new respect for the pros.

Glad to hear you had fun and didn't get too carried away and wad the bike up.

·
Registered
213 Posts
post track day
The tire got too hot and melted. You need the pressure low enough to heat up fast and have a big contact patch, but sometimes you can actually reduce the pressure more which causes the heat to dissipate faster (Pirelli, for example, which has a very soft carcass). Or did you use a soft compound on a hot day?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
The tire got too hot and melted. You need the pressure low enough to heat up fast and have a big contact patch, but sometimes you can actually reduce the pressure more which causes the heat to dissipate faster (Pirelli, for example, which has a very soft carcass). Or did you use a soft compound on a hot day?
Probably wrong tire pressure Im guessing. I used the stock RS10 tires.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
About this Discussion
30 Replies
7 Participants
Stefan Olsson
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing