Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been riding for 25 years....YES, im old but feel like i did at 20. Booked my first day at Fontana Speedway and Im so stoked. Obviously I have to do the class/begginer group which I have no problem with at all. I know how to ride, I ride canyons every weekend....BUT! Do I know track etiquette, getting used to not being able to look behind me...No!. Lot of things excite me as well as worry me about the upcoming date.

Question: I ride the 2018 gixxer 1000R. it comes standard with the RS10's, tires that I love. I have about 450 miles on the tires right now, track day is about 2+ weeks away, which means I'll probably have about 700+ miles when I go.

Should I be concerned?

I dont want to miss out on a track day, and I hear these tires have a fairly short life span.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Stefan,

I've been to Fontana. It's an oval track (translation = NASCRAP) with an infield course. You can haul ass on the banking, but be careful about Turn 1. The gyro effect at very high speeds is quite strong. It took all the strength I had coming down from 175 mph to muscle it through Turn 1. Warning: the rumble strip for T1 is plastic and has a vertical edge 1 inch tall--hit it and you'll go down ugly. If you're not going to make T1, just cut the corner--it's all asphalt. I never did, but lots of others did. They have a cone for T2 but I'm like, "Where-the-fuck is it??" It takes a lap or two to figure it out and take T2 nicely. With a 1000cc bike, you have to be careful not to spin up the rear on exits, high-side, and pitch yourself into the weeds. If your bike has traction control, you might want to turn it on. Don't think that canyon-carving means you have track skills. You don't. What you probably have are bad habits. Public roads teach bad track habits because the turns are all set at a constant radius--just set the steering wheel/handle bars in a fixed position and go around the corner. You're going to have to learn where the apex of each turn is. Most beginners will apex too early and this causes them to run wide on the exit. Running wide on the exit is fine, but you want that to happen because you're on the gas and not because you picked a bad line. The easiest way in the world to pass a newbie on a corner is to set up just behind and outside as s/he enters a corner too early, apex early, and exit wide and slow--then just tuck it under them and sayonara. It's like that Linda Ronstadt song Blue Bayou (blew by you). DO trailbrake into the corners. How much you trailbrake is up to you, but you need to do this. The last bit of advice I'll give is to get a map of the track and print out several copies to take with you. Try to mark as accurately as you can where you brake/turn-in at each corner. You need accurate markers so that when you make adjustments they are small adjustments and not big ones that will lead you off the track. Did you see The Hunt for Red October? There's a scene where Capt. Ramius is blasting through deep sea canyons in a huge submarine, and he can only do this because he has hyperaccurate maps. They will use the AMA circuit (link).

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hahaha. Good stuf...Thanks guys....I do look forward to it big time. Its my first track day so I have to start at the level 1 slow group, but I have no problems with that at all. I do aqppreciate the input fellows and I will ease in to it. No craziness to start with:)....I'm much to old for that shit

·
Registered
15 Posts
You should do a search for track day prep and if possible find videos of people doing laps at track days at the track you are attending.

My normal prep:
New tires (you go through tires much faster at a track day)
Is the track gas station going to be open?
Do they have a tire person at the track supporting the riders?
Do they have a suspension person supporting the riders?
What time does the track open?
Remove Mirrors
Replace Oil and Filter
Tape and disconnect headlight and taillight
Some places will not pass your bike for tech with standard coolant (replace distilled water or engine ice)
Do I need spare gas?
Bring a chair
Bring water, snacks, and other drinks
Bring tools, chain lube, various cleaners for bugs or track debris (Make sure you have tire gauge they will give you the track temp and expected tire pressure changes)
Tape up wheel weights
Bring extra tape.

How am I getting to the track day carrying the bike on transport or riding? Always best to carry the bike you are going to be very tired after the day. I did the ride all day and ride home once in my 20's not going to do it at 49.

Practice loading/unloading your bike solo (I have seen this a few times, people dropping bike off transport vehicle as day starts, some could not ride from the damage. Broken levers, pegs or lost valuable time fixing bike if parts were around to buy and fix bike.)

I did a search for track day prep I saw a few with wiring tie as a recommended and that is something that isn't needed for a normal track day. I can't post links or images I don't have enough posts.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Do they have a suspension person supporting the riders?
Very good advice, Vexar. You must call to ask about coolant. If you have a kind coolant not allowed, you don't go on the track. Period. Bummer. If you don't want to tape the lights, you could also pull the fuses (they're often labeled). If there's a suspension guy at the track, they can set your sag based on your weight with gear. All suspension adjustments (compression, rebound) are made AFTER the sag is set. If you want to set the sag yourself, you will need a friend, a tape measure, and possibly a wrench to adjust the spring on the rear shock. Setting the sag correctly causes the shocks to operate in the middle of their range of movement (i.e., the sweet spot).

·
Registered
15 Posts
I like to tape just in case of a crash (you make it easier for the folks to clean up the track.) Pulling fuses forces you to disconnect the battery (to be extra safe) which causes you to take the seat off.

That particular guy Dave Moss is known as a (god of suspension) imo, if he is around get him to check your bike for you (consider yourself very lucky.) I have seen him at a few track days in NorCal he might have a schedule on his site.

I didn't mention this, but take a couple hundred in cash for parts, gas, to pay for things. Don't expect a guy to have a credit card machine.

Get 90 degree tire stems nice for pressure checks super cheap handy upgrade.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks so much for all the input. I have put a lot of effort in to this first track day. Get a motel out in Fontana, trailer booked, tape and all the good stuff. Gonna rent safety gear for first track day but bying boots tomorrow on Black Friday....Here are the requirements....seems fairly lenient for this track.

I be riding the level 1 beginner.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
And yes.......I absolutely dont believe that im fast......Im just looking forward to push it a wee bit harder and not having horses, hikers, bicycles and Jay Leno come around a corner and ram me down:)

·
Registered
196 Posts
go as fast as u can. if you crash blame it on cold tires... all the other guys are trying to make you look slow infront of your female!!!!!!!

take a look at the sexiest ladies in the pits... are they with the slow guys? NOPE they are with the fast guys!!!!! stand that bitch up across the finish!!!!!!111!!1!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
About this Discussion
30 Replies
7 Participants
Stefan Olsson
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing