Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

Well, we took Toyman's 40-foot "rock star bus" to the track on Friday night and slept in the paddock area. Was super to be able to go in style. All the creature comforts ... and he made me lunch .

It rained ALL night ... and when we woke in the morning, it didn't look good. But, the rain stopped and the track dried. The "A" group was out by 09:15.

QuickNez, SportinR1, Lizzi, and Gixxer7Fool were in the "B" group with me. It was super. I spent all morning chasing Lizzi and not catching her.

The backside of the Summit Point Jennings Circuit has a stretch of about 4 corners (called the carousel) that was particularly slippery in the morning. Rumor is that a police training school put peanut oil on the track to practice cornering in slippery conditions there ... and that's why it's so bad.

It was pretty nasty. In my first session I was all over the place through there. But, by Noon the asphalt in that section of the track turned from a dark black color to gray ... and it was nice. I could cruise right through.

We got 5 sessions in before the rain came. That was good for me. I was riding really hard and was pretty much worn out. Man, I gotta get to the gym.

Only 3 wrecks all day in our "B" group ... all lowsides ... all riders walked away.

See you on the high ground ... super day!

Here's a video ...

LO RES (20 MB):

http://home.comcast.net/~tflanders3/SummitJCSmall.wmv

HI RES (58 MB) (FAST):

http://spike13.com/stlarvideos/SummitJCBig.wmv

ALTERNATE HI RES (58 MB) (SLOW):

http://damnnet.com/view/3599/

Pix:

·
Registered
3,340 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
Nice pics! I have my 1st track day comin up in 14 days!

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Cool pics!!!! Looks like it was a fun time!

Rob

·
Registered
361 Posts
Great pics and vid
I'm going to Jefferson in June for a two dayer. I've never been there before. Me and a friend are bringing one of thosetow behind pop up campers. Do they let you put those were you guys stayed in the paddock? Also where did you guys set up for the pits.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great pics and vid
I'm going to Jefferson in June for a two dayer. I've never been there before. Me and a friend are bringing one of thosetow behind pop up campers. Do they let you put those were you guys stayed in the paddock? Also where did you guys set up for the pits.
Yep. You will have no problem. The Jefferson Circuit is out in the countryside ... there are 4 paved rows of pits to park in ... plenty of room ... and grass to put stakes in the ground. No electricity, tho. A generator would be nice to have.

Also, no food ... just a coke machine ... so bring your own stuff. We set up on the second row of the 4 ... cause our bus was so big.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Looks like a blast!

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Awesome video Rat, I was loving watching that motard behind ya, and I even think I saw a Aprillia pass ya hehe. Looks like a blast makes me want to go to another one lol. Thanks for sharing bro.
LOL. Yep. There seemed to be an abundance of people passing me.

Actually, I was right about in the middle of the pack. There were about 24 riders ...

The lead 6 bikes or so lapped me every session. That's what you are seeing.

I loved it. Can't wait to go again.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
People from my club have been sending me pictures all day. Here's my favorite:

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Magic-Rat,
What are you running the Regular Diablo's or the Corsa's ?
on the first track day.
Diablo Corsa's ... man they are great (compared to my normal Metzler M-1s that I use on the street). I thought they made a big difference ... course I was on total perception overload all day.

·
Registered
21 Posts
magic-rat, how'd you like NESBA? They are the best in my book. How'd you get the video? lipstick camera? What kind of setup do you have?

The Corsa's are awesome. I was on those all three days at Summit this weekend. I'll probably try Dunlop's new 208 trackday tire when these wear out. I'll try to post some pics and a video when I get them.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
magic-rat, how'd you like NESBA? They are the best in my book. How'd you get the video? lipstick camera? What kind of setup do you have?

The Corsa's are awesome. I was on those all three days at Summit this weekend. I'll probably try Dunlop's new 208 trackday tire when these wear out. I'll try to post some pics and a video when I get them.
Well, was my first time, so I don't have anything to compare it to ...

That said, I thought the control riders were awesome. They were super helpful. They ought to call them instructors ... that's what these guys were. Damn, they are good riders.

I have a lipstick cam that is mounted to my rearset. The wires run into my seat cowl where I keep my camcorder wrapped in a towel. I power the camcorder and camera from the bike via 12V wiring harness I made.

Looks like this:

This part holds it on. It's the top of a tripod mount. I just took it off the tripod and mounted it on the bike.

... and power:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts