Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey well i today i woke up with big balls and decided to try power wheelies ive try a few times before but with small balls so no wheel up.

well i went out with helmet and all my gear ready i was in 1st and then opened wide the throtle i could feel the wheel came up just a few inches not a real wheelie , so i tried a few times again but i got them just a few inches.

i got a little more of conficense sat way back and bounced it a little and it was easier but i could just do a few inches up.

so i was like well i guess thats all a power wheelie in first can do just a few inches :biggrin i was wrong.

on my way back home on the last straight i sat way back bounced it up and open widee and damn :frantic i got a real wheelie i even turned the handle bar all the way to the right by mistake i wasnt able to see what was in front of me just the sky :punkand then let go the throtle and it came right down.

i really wasnt scared at all i was like daaaaaaaaamn thats a wheelie hehe :punk

and well i gonna be practicing power wheelies a lil bit more before i go to clutch em up, i got one question , if i do to many power wheelies can it harm my engine?
i know stupid question but well:hammer
any advice welcome.

i forgot i ride a 06 600 gp1 and pc3

·
Registered
493 Posts
I've been doing power wheelies for a while, first learnt on those.....once i moved to clutchies, my wheelie improved a LOT quicker...reason being, its more controlled coming up, not to mention you are going slower too.
I don't think it really harms the engine, IF anything if your chain isn't done up properly you could damage it and ur sprockets...anyone feel free to correct me if i'm wrong...

Now, as far as ur handlebars turning...its because you're holding on more with ur hands than ur legs...squeeze ur knees against the tank and loosen ur upper body a bit and you will be fine....btw, practice covering the rear brake. U don't have time to think if you're going to flip, you want it to be instinct.

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
hey well i today i woke up with big balls and decided to try power wheelies ive try a few times before but with small balls so no wheel up.

well i went out with helmet and all my gear ready i was in 1st and then opened wide the throtle i could feel the wheel came up just a few inches not a real wheelie , so i tried a few times again but i got them just a few inches.

i got a little more of conficense sat way back and bounced it a little and it was easier but i could just do a few inches up.

so i was like well i guess thats all a power wheelie in first can do just a few inches :biggrin i was wrong.

on my way back home on the last straight i sat way back bounced it up and open widee and damn :frantic i got a real wheelie i even turned the handle bar all the way to the right by mistake i wasnt able to see what was in front of me just the sky :punkand then let go the throtle and it came right down.

and well i gonna be practicing power wheelies a lil bit more before i go to clutch em up i got one question , if i do to many power wheelies can it harm my engine?
any advice welcome.

you'll be fine. these engines are meant to take this kind of abuse. make sure you keep those handlebars straight before you tank slap or something though.:nono

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for input mfs well now that i know it wont harm my engine ima go do some more power wheelies , maybe im gonna try the stand ups i see them safer.

laterr :burnout

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
You actually got your bike back together already? Last I knew, you crashed? NO?
yep i got it all together 2 days ago it looks like new i put 1100 bucks in the rebuild all done by myself im gonna post a pic of it when i get a camera.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if you dont come down straight and the steering starts going left and right, whats the best thing to do in that moment? brake? accelerate?

·
Registered
8 Posts

and well i gonna be practicing power wheelies a lil bit more before i go to clutch em up, i got one question , if i do to many power wheelies can it harm my engine?
any advice welcome.

Bad ass dude! ive been a Bitch so far. tried power wheelies but no dice. Im ridin GSXR 600

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bad ass dude! ive been a Bitch so far. tried power wheelies but no dice. Im ridin GSXR 600
id say you just gotta wake up with big balls and try after the first try you kinda lose the fear.:punk

any advice about my previous question ?

·
Registered
493 Posts
if you dont come down straight and the steering starts going left and right, whats the best thing to do in that moment? brake? accelerate?
do NOT hit the brakes lol...good way to stack it...

First of all, the reason this is happening is because you are still holding on too tight on the handlebars and not relaxing your upper body. Use your legs to hold on more.

2nd, when this DOES happen, you have an 08/09 gixxer yeah? you should have a steering dampener on it, so basically just once again, relax your grip and let the wheel go straight by itself.

When i land my wheelies i get a small shake for about half a second...just relax your arms...

People try and control tank slappers and thats what stuffs them up. The front wheel wants to go straight, so let it, just relax ur arms...let the front wheel correct itself...

Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong guys..

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
do NOT hit the brakes lol...good way to stack it...

First of all, the reason this is happening is because you are still holding on too tight on the handlebars and not relaxing your upper body. Use your legs to hold on more.

2nd, when this DOES happen, you have an 08/09 gixxer yeah? you should have a steering dampener on it, so basically just once again, relax your grip and let the wheel go straight by itself.

When i land my wheelies i get a small shake for about half a second...just relax your arms...

People try and control tank slappers and thats what stuffs them up. The front wheel wants to go straight, so let it, just relax ur arms...let the front wheel correct itself...

Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong guys..

alright man that was in the back of my mind "what if that happens" now im more relaxed :biggrin thanks for the advice :cheers ima keep training

·
Registered
493 Posts
yeh man if i had to give ONE piece of advise.... all i would say is TAKE IT SLOW.

i'm still learning myself....i can't hold mine for more than like 4-5 seconds. I don't care if it takes me a year to learn, i'll keep my bike in one piece. just take it slow, don't prove yourself to anyone and eventually it will just happen with experience.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
i've been tryin to pop the clutch but my damn clutch its not stock, and its veery stiff like i got to pull it with 3 fingers atleast!
for riding its great but to pop the clutch very unconfortable for me, i'd preffer a soft clutch to do it with one finger. i've tried adjusting it but same crap.

UPDATE

well i went to a empy lot , and used 3 fingers at first i didnt know at what rpm i was poping the clutch i had to get used to sound then figured it all out and started at 4k, pull clutch, pop it at 5.5k or 6k. after 15 min, i was popin wheelies for like 1 hour :flipoff, just letting the front go up and shut the throttle.

clutch wheelies > power wheelies (for me)

·
Premium Member
3,277 Posts
shit i have that problems sometimes too with my wheelies where ill accidently turn the handle bar right...come to think of it i do hold on with my arms too tight and i should try to practice just relaxing

·
Premium Member
3,277 Posts
yes def be slow!!! even with a lot of practice...i went from power wheelies to clutch then to stand up clutch and was really good and still managed to fuck up lol...

Make sure you got protection on the bike in case you crash!! thats the best advice...i had barrier bars on mine and it saved me more pain than i had to deal with fixing all the other shit

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
damn man thats fucked up,what happened you flip over? damn even with racerailz all the left side its baad. how did they work?

·
Premium Member
3,277 Posts
damn man thats fucked up,what happened you flip over? damn even with racerailz all the left side its baad. how did they work?
i was gettin waaaay too brave and just poppin wheelies like left and right, i mean I was basically asking to crash lol but basically i went to do a stand up (right foot on rearset and left foot on passanger peg) and i went up fine but almost in slow motion i felt myself start to go too far back (another bad thing is that i didnt get myself used to saving a wheelie with the back brake...ALWAYS cover and know how to use that back brake, i am positive that if i had gotten myself used to the back break and bringing wheelies down with it that i couldve saved myself). So as i was commin too far back all i could do was just hop off the bike and all hell broke loose as you can see after that. Also wasnt wearing any gloves...another bad mistake that i payed the price for

They had to pick rocks outta that....it was pretty painful belive me.

knee pads wouldnt of hurt either haha. Im just postin this stuff to save you guys from learning the hard way like me. I used to think i couldnt do wheelies with my gloves cause it is harder to feel the throttle position....but of course i was wrong, all it takes is practice just like anything. Now the same gloves i said i "couldnt" wheelie in before that crash are what i use to pop wheelies all the time now that ive had practice with the gloves on. As far as the "race railz" (they are actually militant moto barrier bars) they held up good, i was happy my whole plastics didnt get damaged, but def ill be putting these on my bike soon...http://www.motomummy.com/store/product.php?productid=18319&cat=0&page=1
as it cost me like 800 bucks to repair JUST the damaged engine side. All i can say tho...i gotta reiterate...just take your time and go slow....youll be sooo happy to start doin consistent wheelies that youll start to feel invincible...so take it from me :) and be SAFE

·
Premium Member
3,277 Posts
Heres my bike tho all in good condition :) same plastics and all, the only new plastics are on the rear of course, which had to be entirely replaced of course as well as the rear sub frame...all in all cost be a good 4 grand to fix X(

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
now that im much better in gettin it up, i can get it up in 1st at any rpm, so i was trying 2nd and realized that i got to give it a lot of gas to get it up, just matter of time to get her up in 2nd.
now one question, whats the best gear to find balance point , 1st or 2nd?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
8 Participants
chettie
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing