Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got my first bike ever on tuesday (3/1) a 2k2 gsxr 750, and learned to ride it around my parking lot for about an hour before going out on the road (go ahead and flame me for getting the 750 i'm ready for it, although the extra displacement isn't why i dropped my bike).

So to make a long story short over my first week of riding i got pretty comfortable with the bike and yesterday night at around 4 in the morning, my friend who taught me to ride takes me out on some nice twisty backroads to i can throw it around alil. First he gave me the pep talk, do it at your own speed, don't worry about keeping up with me (plus he had passenger) so he planned on taking it slow already.

We make the first pass, and everything goes flawlessly, i love it! So we decide to call it a night, but we decide to take the same roads back (or rather i decide cause i liked em so much). So we get out and right before the first really nice turn some air gets under my visor and my contacts which i'd had in too long begin to fog up. So i'm already at the turn doing about 60 and i'm squinting trying to judge how deep to go, well since i was basically using one eye my depth perception was screwed and i go in to deep. Well both my front and rear tire are new and haven't been broken in yet, so i feel alil funny motion, plus i realize that i'm too low (headed towards the double yellow) so i bring the bike up and over compensate and go right off the road at around 50. I managed to keep the bike up but it was dirt and grass and hard to control, I feel like i can ease the bike back onto the road cause the turn had just let out and the road was pretty close, i didn't go off at too much of an angle, BUT theres a pole direclty in the path.

So i decide (or at least i think i did) to lay the bike down, rather then head on a pole at 50, so i do that and i tumble a bit, bang my helmet around a tad (not too much at all although i landed on my face shield and cracked it right off, then i roll over on to my back and slide about 50 feet and come to a stop.

First thing i do is jump up like HOLY SH!T i'm alive, and generally unhurt. Well my friend having seen this comes back, and long story short we got my bike up and looked at the damage to see if i could ride it home, which i could and i did, the crash was stickly cosmetic luckily. And i got away with a slightly sprained shoulder, i'm guessing from landing on it and thats it, totally fine aside from that.

My bike on the other hand broke: The left fairing (low sided it) the fairing cracked around the headlight (headlights fine), cracked the air intake on the left side, and i'm guessin the bike slid into the pole after losing alot of speed cause i also cracked the solo seat (or seat cover whatever you call it back behind the main seat on the tail, and the trail plastic is also cracked pretty bad. So now i'm in the market for some new parts lol. My question is where should i start looking and what should i get? I had aftermarket fairings that we're one piece (upper and lower) and i didn't really like them in particular anyway.

I was already planning a repaint and i have a friend who's pretty good who's gonna do it for me, for just the price of the paints (the guy i was driving with when i wrecked lol) so now thats gonna be a must anyway since my bike wasn't a stock color to begin with (i'll have pics here tomorrow btw of before and after the wreck). Where should i start lookin to replace that stuff? I was gonna try the classifieds here after making this post and also e-bay. Any suggestions in particular of things i should do (to my bike not my driving
)?

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,130 Posts
although the extra displacement isn't why i dropped my bike).
No not extra displacement - but choice of bike together with inexperience... You are the perfect example of why most of us here recommend non-R type bikes for beginners...

Don't make the mistake of blaming tires, road, etc. for your crash - you made several of the classic new rider errors (thinking you're going to fall over, target fixation, panic) and R type bikes bite you in the ass much faster than any other bike when you make errors.

Seriously, if you're smart take your time with the repairs and get a better learning bike like a GS500E or similar and LEARN TO RIDE before you get back on the GSX-R! Or you'll probably be on eBay again looking for parts next month... Or in the hospital...

Glad you're (relatively) ok

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Damn

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
although the extra displacement isn't why i dropped my bike).
No not extra displacement - but choice of bike together with inexperience... You are the perfect example of why most of us here recommend non-R type bikes for beginners...

Don't make the mistake of blaming tires, road, etc. for your crash - you made several of the classic new rider errors (thinking you're going to fall over, target fixation, panic) and R type bikes bite you in the ass much faster than any other bike when you make errors.

Seriously, if you're smart take your time with the repairs and get a better learning bike like a GS500E or similar and LEARN TO RIDE before you get back on the GSX-R! Or you'll probably be on eBay again looking for parts next month... Or in the hospital...

Glad you're (relatively) ok

I was just gonna say the same type of things. Trying to learn to ride on an unforgiving R type bike is why you crashed.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know why you recommend non R bikes BUT i don't see how being on ANY other bike would have stopped me from crashing. When i went off road i wasn't under power at all. I just miss judged the turn because i was looking out of one squinted eye. I coulda been on a vespa and did that (Shrug). Now had it been a speed issue, i'd understand the comments but i'm very happy and comfortable with my purchase none the less. I do know now however not to ride when i've worn my contacts for more than 14 hours. But thank you for the concern anyway.

Oh and just as an update the shop i got the bike from is gonna fix all the damage for 350 + paint cost.

·
Registered
132 Posts
the exact same thing can happen on an ex250 - it just takes more effort to get it to that point. pushing your ride beyond your control is possible with any unfamiliar bike...

·
Registered
851 Posts
what the hell does an hour of driving in a parking lot do for motorcycle practice...there are no other cars following traffic laws or assholes on cellphones in a parking lot.....

and what does "some air gets under my visor and my contacts" mean..where you riding with the visor up and no goggles or glasses on...what did you expect..stick your head out a car window at 60 and try to see clearly..

i am glad to hear you are ok, but it only takes these little careless things on a bike before you are road pizza....if you don't already have gear, buy some b4 repairing the bike..

·
Registered
33 Posts
A 250, that was my first bike.
Anyway take their advice and get some proper gear..um and use it properly. It doesn't take much to mess you up. I saw a guy freeze up for some reason and fall over at a light. That guy was sitting still when he fell over and was still unconcious when they loaded him up in the squad. I think alcohol had to do with it but none the less your body is not as hard as the concrete.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts