Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,

just purchased my first GSXR600..she's a 97 model..

had her for a week and a bit now and have already racked up 1500k's!!

i'm getting so used to the bike it's great! goin back on 250's make them seem like such a toy...
i got sideways of the green light for the first time aswell...pretty nice feeling...

anyways i'm pretty new to bikes...so have a few questions...to ask about the bike and these forums also...if you would kindly take some time to help me it would be muchly appreciated..looking forward to making this site my homepage for a fair while to come yet!

What is a Gixxer...? i have a fair idea it relates to the GSXR...from browsing through on here...where did the term originate and how?

Also wondering how often do ikes need a rebuild...mine has 50k and i know in terms of bike engines...that is a lot yes? however my bike is really quick...i'm getting used to the power and torque now..but my mate who previously own a 600GSXR says it's not as crisp on the power delivery as it should be...

i use to own a 12second street turbo charged car...but the bike feels so much quicker it's insane..so i ask what is the 1/4mile times like for these bikes in stock form?

i have also lowered the front end by an inch and a half..to accomadate my small size....any thoughts or comments on this handling wise? i was thinking of lowering the rear end too but my mate informs me that a higher rear end makes handlin better anyways..is this true? i don't want to comprimise handling too much as i'm pretty comfortable with the height right now...lower would be better but not essential.....

Also i was thinkin of adding a car cannon style muffler instead of a motorcycle specific one (i would like a yoshi down the track but can't afford one atm)...can this be done? is there a technical difference betwwen the two?? ie back pressure required etc...?
wat is the best size for tubing for a custom made full system for this bike and how much performance gain will i be expecting?

what are other commmon performance mods carried out?

i have riden alot but have neva really cared to be hands on with my bikes..now with the new GSXR i am planing to learn and do as much myself as possible...

looking forward to getting to know more about these bikes and getting to know all of you on here...

ps rode a mates 02 R1 the other nite...hmm very temtping...please persuade me to keep the gixxer!!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Congrats on the purchase. I just picked up one myself, I'm loving it.

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,133 Posts
What is a Gixxer...? i have a fair idea it relates to the GSXR...from browsing through on here...where did the term originate and how?
Try pronouncing GSXR...

i have also lowered the front end by an inch and a half..to accomadate my small size....any thoughts or comments on this handling wise? i was thinking of lowering the rear end too but my mate informs me that a higher rear end makes handlin better anyways..is this true? i don't want to comprimise handling too much as i'm pretty comfortable with the height right now...lower would be better but not essential.....
Yes, lowering the front and/or raising the rear makes the bike handle better - although too much makes it unstable, I'd say 1½ " is a bit much. If you feel it's unstable, especially coming out of corners, raise the front back up a bit - tank slappers suck. Also check for clearance between the front fender and the uper fairing and radiator at full fork compression - hitting a pothole and then breaking the fender would suck...

Leave the rear where it is, if you lower that too, you loose ground clearance - which potentially can make you loose traction in corners because touching down with hard parts can lever the rear wheel off the ground

Also i was thinkin of adding a car cannon style muffler instead of a motorcycle specific one (i would like a yoshi down the track but can't afford one atm)...can this be done? is there a technical difference betwwen the two?? ie back pressure required etc...?
wat is the best size for tubing for a custom made full system for this bike and how much performance gain will i be expecting?
DON'T put on a car muffler. Just leave it stock until you can afford a proper exhaust that's made for the bike. If you buy a full system down the road, go for one of the good brands, I have an Akrapovic full titanium system on my '98 600 and it's great quality. You do get some decent gains from a full system, mostly in the mid range while just a can won't do much except better looks and sound.

what are other commmon performance mods carried out?
They are many but really - you get the most performance gains from track days - most riders can't utilize the full potential of stock 600s anyway, track helps this a lot. Suspension upgrades are good too

And welcome to GdC, BTW

·
Registered
3,340 Posts

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Welcome!

Learn the bike first, then worry about performance mods.

Car muffler on a sportbike? I think we'll let it slide because your a newbie...but don't ever repeat that question again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cheers for all the positive feed back and welcomig fellas...much appreciated...

"Try pronouncing GSXR..."

lol here DownUnder, i seem to pronounce that just fine...dunno how how u get Gixxer out of is i can see the similarity..but this is a predominanty american forum yes..? you guys must have weird tongues.. =P jks

ahh ok i was just curious as to why a car muffler would e so deferrent to a bike specific one..is the design specific for bike only application is it? it's just that i can get really expensive car ones for very cheap...i have no contacts with bike shops atm...=(

yeah perfomance wise i was thinking like steering dampers, brake pads and suspension mods etc not so much go fast bits...what type of coilovers are reccomended usually?

oh i've also seen some photo's of slammed bikes ie busa's and gixxers...so lowering it that much in terms of handling is a no no? what are these bikes then..just posers or drag specials?

cheers again fellas! Ride on!

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have a yosh can But the can off my Eclipse would be cool looking and no one else would have one... Just playing

1 - 12 of 12 Posts