Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
So reading this thread yesterday inspired/encouraged me to go home and practice some emergency braking on my bike.

What I found was if I hit the brakes very hard and very quickly my rear end would start to side out from under me.

After attempting the hard braking several time I was able to minimize the rear end from sliding out from the back by applying more pressure to the rear brake.

So the rear end sliding out seems to be from unequal brake pressure. If substantially more brake pressure is applied to the front versus the back then the rear slides out quick.

Its impossible to apply as much braking force in the rear as you could in the front but by forcing myself to hit down hard with my foot on the rear brake when I mashed the front brake I was able to do a much better job of controlling the rear from sliding out the back.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Glad that you're okay... The bike is fixable and life will go on. Like someone posted above, even with experience, things can happen so quickly as to not afford you the opportunity to react appropriately. Braking is one of those things that relies on a lot of confounding factors: speed, tire wear, road surface, brake wear, body position, distance to obstacle in front of you, experience, reaction time, where you're looking at the very moment you need to apply the binders...as well as many other things. At the end of the day, you took responsibility for the fact that you have more to learn and that is the best lesson. Now, you know what NOT to do the next time around.

Strong work!

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
So reading this thread yesterday inspired/encouraged me to go home and practice some emergency braking on my bike.

What I found was if I hit the brakes very hard and very quickly my rear end would start to side out from under me.

After attempting the hard braking several time I was able to minimize the rear end from sliding out from the back by applying more pressure to the rear brake.

So the rear end sliding out seems to be from unequal brake pressure. If substantially more brake pressure is applied to the front versus the back then the rear slides out quick.

Its impossible to apply as much braking force in the rear as you could in the front but by forcing myself to hit down hard with my foot on the rear brake when I mashed the front brake I was able to do a much better job of controlling the rear from sliding out the back.

You're hitting the front too suddenly then or jacking the bars. You should be able to brake with the front hard enough to completely unload the rear where the rear is useless for stopping anymore and the bike stay in line.

The rear can help with chassis stability but does fuck all for stopping power. For now forget the rear. When you get the front right the rear is all but useless and will lock up and cause the rear to skid worse

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
Need to be progressive on the brake application. Can be quickish but need to ease in gradually getting faster and harder progressively (. :giggity: ) . Have to give the front tire time to compress so the contact patch is larger and not upset the tire. Apply to fast and it breaks traction. Not fast enough you don't stop lol

·
Rectum Rupticus
9,925 Posts
So @CourtJester140 (I'm not accusing just asking) were you failing to maintain a proper distance from the vehicle in front of you or was your speed approaching the intersection higher than it should have been? (or maybe even both of those)
Usually New riders are not looking far enough up the road to anticipate what's going on up ahead . The means looking through the back windows of cars in front of you . If you're behind something you can't see through back off farther or pass it . Granted you can't pass a big truck if you're coming up on a stop light .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
Alright! I've removed all of the pieces that need replacing. Here's an updated list of what's been damaged:

-Fairings (will need to get a whole kit)
-Windscreen (scuffed pretty bad)
-Intake Ducts (only right side is damaged, left is ok)
-Steering Damper (sucker is bent pretty bad, seals held though)
-Front Fairing Stay (snapped like a twig)
-Headlight Assembly (shattered)
-Tac & Computer (anyone know how to transfer mileage to a new one?
-Stator Cover (is this flooded with oil? left side of bike...)
-Shift Lever (toe piece sheered off)
-Sliders (frame, bar ends, swingarm spools)
-Coolant Resevoir Plug (missing! no spillage though)
-Chip in front wheel (could probably just be sanded down, wheel needs re-balancing)
-Tank dented (on right side, from my knee slamming into it, hardly noticable)
-Bend Forks!? (front wheel is about 5-7 degrees off centerline....WHY)

So there it is. The complete list. I got it started today....it was just a pain getting it into neutral without the toe piece, but I got it. Ran perfectly fine. I didn't ride it anywhere because a) can't shift and b) front wheel is off-center and c) no steering damper in place.

I am going to take it to a repair shop so they can do the master cylinder recall repair on it, and then i'll ask them to quote the job. If it's prohibitively expensive (which i'm sure it will be), i'll fix it myself. The only thing i'm unsure of is the front wheel being turned slightly. I can't tell if it's the forks or the axle or something else. The shop will have to tell me that.

I'm estimating cost between 1500 and 2500 to repair myself. I purchased it for 3000 (had less than 3k miles on it, now only has 3200 miles on it!!!!).

Maybe I can make a track bike out of it at this point...

Here's a pic of the front wheel...see the angle?

EDIT:
I've loosened the clamps on the front forks, and managed to straighten the front wheel with respect to the bars. However, if I look closely enough, one fork is clamped slightly (maybe .050") higher than the other. Additionally, The front wheel does not rotate freely; the front brake pads seem to be contacting. I lack the proper equipment to support the bike by the frame and do a proper job, and i'm not sure I want to give the "ladder" method a go.

I'm going to trailer it to the dealership so they can perform the brake recall work, and then maybe give a prognosis on the front end alignment.

In other news, I've purchased a replacement headlight ass'y, upper fairing stay, ram air ducts, and a fairing kit. Went with Auctmart since it's the best of the non-OEM's from what I hear, plus free bolt kit with purchase! Considering I was missing bolts before any of this, and probably am missing more now, seems like a good choice.

·
Banned
2015 GSX-R 600
4 Posts
Alright! I've removed all of the pieces that need replacing. Here's an updated list of what's been damaged:

-Fairings (will need to get a whole kit)
-Windscreen (scuffed pretty bad)
-Intake Ducts (only right side is damaged, left is ok)
-Steering Damper (sucker is bent pretty bad, seals held though)
-Front Fairing Stay (snapped like a twig)
-Headlight Assembly (shattered)
-Tac & Computer (anyone know how to transfer mileage to a new one?
-Stator Cover (is this flooded with oil? left side of bike...)
-Shift Lever (toe piece sheered off)
-Sliders (frame, bar ends, swingarm spools)
-Coolant Resevoir Plug (missing! no spillage though)
-Chip in front wheel (could probably just be sanded down, wheel needs re-balancing)
-Tank dented (on right side, from my knee slamming into it, hardly noticable)
-Bend Forks!? (front wheel is about 5-7 degrees off centerline....WHY)

So there it is. The complete list. I got it started today....it was just a pain getting it into neutral without the toe piece, but I got it. Ran perfectly fine. I didn't ride it anywhere because a) can't shift and b) front wheel is off-center and c) no steering damper in place.

I am going to take it to a repair shop so they can do the master cylinder recall repair on it, and then i'll ask them to quote the job. If it's prohibitively expensive (which i'm sure it will be), i'll fix it myself. The only thing i'm unsure of is the front wheel being turned slightly. I can't tell if it's the forks or the axle or something else. The shop will have to tell me that.

I'm estimating cost between 1500 and 2500 to repair myself. I purchased it for 3000 (had less than 3k miles on it, now only has 3200 miles on it!!!!).

Maybe I can make a track bike out of it at this point...

Here's a pic of the front wheel...see the angle?

EDIT:
I've loosened the clamps on the front forks, and managed to straighten the front wheel with respect to the bars. However, if I look closely enough, one fork is clamped slightly (maybe .050") higher than the other. Additionally, The front wheel does not rotate freely; the front brake pads seem to be contacting. I lack the proper equipment to support the bike by the frame and do a proper job, and i'm not sure I want to give the "ladder" method a go.

I'm going to trailer it to the dealership so they can perform the brake recall work, and then maybe give a prognosis on the front end alignment.

In other news, I've purchased a replacement headlight ass'y, upper fairing stay, ram air ducts, and a fairing kit. Went with Auctmart since it's the best of the non-OEM's from what I hear, plus free bolt kit with purchase! Considering I was missing bolts before any of this, and probably am missing more now, seems like a good choice.
…..

·
Registered
148 Posts
slightly better than the last thread I read that you commented on. This one is only 7 years old. Your last one was from 2004 also trying to sell auctmarts fairings haha. Btw auctmarts are shite. Arseholes who don’t replace dodgy products in my opinion.

·
Registered
‘06 GSXR 750, with Lorry lights
90 Posts
slightly better than the last thread I read that you commented on. This one is only 7 years old. Your last one was from 2004 also trying to sell auctmarts fairings haha. Btw auctmarts are shite. Arseholes who don’t replace dodgy products in my opinion.
Hahaha I commented on the last one joking that I thought she was a rep for auctmarts, now I KNOW it isn’t a joke.

how does someone forget the name (that she said) but remember exactly how many free gifts come with each order and that OMG they will evencolor match any existing fairing set? *gasp wow!

probably a dude that hasn’t sold his quota for the year so far and figures the idea of a girl rider will catch the interest of some google search victims looking for gsxr fairings.

·
Premium Member
73,384 Posts
Just an FYI, Auctmarts is not only a shit company but they have shit product as well.

So a while back when I was much more active on this site, and an active racer, Auctmarts offered to sponsor me with a few sets of fairings if I would rep and review their products. Long story short, they never followed through with any of their promises, and when I was trying to find out what was going on all I got was radio silence. So I wound up getting Hotbodies bodywork, and couldn't have been happier.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just an FYI, Auctmarts is not only a shit company but they have shit product as well.

So a while back when I was much more active on this site, and an active racer, Auctmarts offered to sponsor me with a few sets of fairings if I would rep and review their products. Long story short, they never followed through with any of their promises, and when I was trying to find out what was going on all I got was radio silence. So I wound up getting Hotbodies bodywork, and couldn't have been happier.
similar thing happened to me and them. Said I would buy one as a sample. Didn’t get discount. Was working with a motorcycle dealer and had plans to sell the fairing from there but 1) they were shit and 2) I couldn’t be arsed to wait for a week for a response (if I actually got one).

21 - 32 of 32 Posts