Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
3,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The damn threads are on the floor of my garage.
From the looks of it I think I can remove the oil pan, and it should fit between the frame rails. Then I can go for the heli-coil action. What do you guys think, is this the best way to repair it?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
The best way is to repalace the oil pan.
The heli coil shopuld work fine.

·
3,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
O.K., I got all the bolts out of the pan and the thing won't budge. I tried to persuade it with a prybar, soft mallet hammer, and a lot of swearing already. I'm sure doing the heli-coil with it attached would be a hack job. What now?

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
Try putting pressure on the pan flange (not to much just enough to help it realase) and tap on it with a rubber or plastic mallet. The gasket sealant is pretty tough stuff.

Once you get it off you could weld the hole and re-tap it, or Heli-coil, or whatever.

Bones

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
My logic in these situations has always been: "hit it with a bigger hammer; if it breaks, it needed replacing anyway." It would certainly solve your dilemma about whether to replace the pan or use a heli-coil... ...prolly explains why I'm not a motorcycle mechanic for a living, huh? Be careful, go slow, and don't drink too many beers while you're swinging that hammer, `k?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Ragnar,

We just put an oversized self tapping plug,from an auto parts store,in my brothers bike and it worked great. It only cost $2.49. Good luck

Phil

[ 04-09-2002, 12:51 AM: Message edited by: 88/1100 ]

·
Registered
243 Posts
What ever you do... DON'T FIT THE HELI-COIL WITH THE PAN IN PLACE!!!

The swarf from the tapping will cause havoc with your bearings!!!

With things like oil pans, you're probably better off replacing it. Even with the heli-coil fitted, it'll more than likely leak after a while.

Good luck dude

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Originally posted by EarL:
What ever you do... DON'T FIT THE HELI-COIL WITH THE PAN IN PLACE!!!

The swarf from the tapping will cause havoc with your bearings!!!

With things like oil pans, you're probably better off replacing it. Even with the heli-coil fitted, it'll more than likely leak after a while.

Good luck dude
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Nothing to say except Earl's right

Andy

·
Registered
156 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me right before a road trip with the boys. I ended up following and carrying all their gear in the car.
Anyways i removed the oil pan and replaced it with a pan from a blown motor i had there.
Did you get all the bolts off? i forgot that there is one right in the middle of the pan , you cant see it but its there counter sunk in. Maybe you forgot that one , because the pan usually just drops real easy. Dont forget to put the crush washer back under neath the oil pump or it will not pump oil right.
Oil pans that match are from 88-89 750's and 90- 91 oil pans . good luck ...make sure you have all the bolts in the center of the pan

·
3,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the suggestions, but we all forgot one thing. Sometimes you just have to bleed on it for it to all work out. I wedged a block of wood on the forward oil gallery plug and hit it with a big hammer. Shortly thereafter as the oil pan was liberated from the engine I head butted the bare headlight housing and am bleeding from the forehead. I think it was a fair trade. At least now I can sleep. I want that oil pan J. Janssen, call ya tomorrow.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts