Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
GSP 652
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I was out playing around yesterday doing burnouts, stoppies, ect...and I did about 3 "DRAG" launches, well I went out and rode my bike a little while ago and it seems as if my clutch is slipping, it doesn't do it in first gear, only in second or third. When I am at full throttle and the rpms are climbing, when I reach about 9 grand the rpms jump up to the redline then slowley come back down...it feels as if the clutch is slipping (I guess) could doing burnouts, launches ect... have caused this??? The bike only has 6800 miles on it and I would have thought the clutch would have lasted long than that!!! Any ideas...anyone??

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
well you can burn a clutch in no time if you are hard on it.. I have seen people get over 20K miles out of them if they are easy on them...

Burnouts and DRAG starts can do it very easy.. Check that there is slack in the clutch cable to make sure that isnt the problem..

John

·
GSP 652
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok...Can I do that at the lever or do I have to take the fairing off and adjust it down there???

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
You should be able to do it at the lever.. I am just saying that you want to make sure the cable has play in it so that it isnt pulling on the clutch when you let it all the way out..

John

·
Registered
265 Posts
John is having you check that as it could be the culprit, BUT HOMEY YOU SMOKED YOUR CLUTCH! You are new to bikes, and those types of launches if not performed properly will toast a clutch in no time flat. Replace em with stockers, and get back out there practicing so you can lay down some good 60 foots when need be!

[ 01-15-2003, 09:50 AM: Message edited by: Melampus... ]

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
yeah dude, you smoked the clutch. time for new plates...

·
GSP 652
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea...How much can I get a set of new disks for and where can I get them from? BTW I've been to the drag strip several times and pulled 1.7 60 ft times, which I guess isn't too bad for a beginner, but you guys are right I need to practice more before I do that again!

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
since the clutch is smoked anyway, get out there and practice as much as you can while you have some resemblence of plate surface left... might as well...

a stock OEM clutch disk set is around $150-200 ?? I dunno, I got it mad cheap because my boy was parts manager at a shop...

and it you plan on doing drags, use regular oil, synth seems to burn clutches faster

CALL RON AYERS! Chip will hook you up

·
GSP 652
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks man...just wondering how come it only does it in 2nd and 3rd gears and not in 1st??

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
you're *sure* it does not slip in 1st? hopefully nothing actually happened to your gears.... that would be nasty.

Pull the clutch plates and measure their thickness (you'll prolly be able to just look at them), compare your thickness to the manual...

·
GSP 652
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea...I'm sure it doesn't slip in 1st and as of today it doesn't slip in 2nd anymore either...this is really weird...it still does it in 3rd but not as much early! Any ideas on that??

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Maybe it is the springs going bad... Not the whole clutch.. but if you are going to change the springs you may as well do it all.

John

·
GSP 652
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What if the slipping goes away completly should I still look at replacing it in the future...is it possible that they got "hot spots" on the disks and they finally wore off...since it's not slipping anymore??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts