Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been meaning to do this for a while and finally getting around to it. I was considering the Targa Fender Eliminator kit but I'm not crazy about the licence plate location (too far forward in in the "wheel well"), plus it's like $78 bucks for a simple aluminum bracket. I could make it myself for like $10. Then I found this CNC milled anodized bracket and decided to go for it. And I love the turn signal style but not entirely happy with their brightness. For now it's just bolted to the plastic undertail, which I don't think will hold up in the long term. I plan to fab an aluminum block-off plate to mount where the stock fender bolts on which should give it adequate strenght. So far I'm in for $43. On to the pics:

Before:

After:

https://s15.postimg.cc/6i4pytdvf/20180819_113448.jpg

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,628 Posts
Can't tell from your pics. Are there just two screws attaching the blue hanger to the underside of the tail? It looks highly cantilevered and, if so, will be placing high stresses on everything at the mounting point. Check the screws that originally mounted the rear lower fender. If they have a step near the head, that's to keep the plastic fender cover from being squished when the screws are tightened. That stress will lead to cracks and breakage. Off-hand some serious rework is needed.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't tell from your pics. Are there just two screws attaching the blue hanger to the underside of the tail? It looks highly cantilevered and, if so, will be placing high stresses on everything at the mounting point. Check the screws that originally mounted the rear lower fender. If they have a step near the head, that's to keep the plastic fender cover from being squished when the screws are tightened. That stress will lead to cracks and breakage. Off-hand some serious rework is needed.
Yes, it's just held on by the 2 bolts into the plastic. The bracket is pretty light and it's fairly sturdy once I installed the original 4 fender mounting bolts. But as I said, I'm still going to fab a plate in the shape of the fender mounting indent you see in 4th pic hopefully next weekend. I wouldn't be much of a Structural Engineer if this simple bracket fails on me! :grin2:

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,628 Posts
If you're an actual structural engineer you must know how unsound that design is with the license plate & turn signals hanging way out there. The impact loading due to normal riding is going to wear away at the mount and material where it's mounted.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its looks really nice why do you say its cheap? Looks billet aluminum.

Im actually thinking about buying one of those fender eliminator / plate flippers from 007PLATE - Hide Away License Plate & Flipper Hide Plate Gadgets but they kinda expensive.
Not cheaply made, cheap in cost. I've got like $43 in the bracket and signals, and I've ordered the reinforcing plate for like $10 so $53 total. I could get the cost of the plate down I'm sure but I just wanted to get it in quickly. Versus $80-$160+ for some of the kits out there, none of which I'm too crazy about to begin with.

Not looking for a plate flipper. You planning of running from the fuzz?! :facepalm

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, and forgot to mention I also have a few bits worth of heat shrink tubing, zip ties, solder, etc. to tidy everything up for a finished look.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts