Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike was stolen!! And now it won\'t start...

A few weeks ago my 2000 GSXR 600 was stolen. I use the term "stolen" lightly though, because they didn't make it very far. They pushed it down the road a ways and into the woods where they attempted to hotwire it. I also use the word "attempted" lightly because they just cut the wiring harness going to the ignition and tied all the wires together. After this didn't work, they just left it.

So needless to say, I got the bike back, but now it won't start up. I spliced the harness back together and tried jump starting it... no luck. When I turn the key nothing even lights up.

What worries me is that when they tied all the wires together, there was at least one or two that were hot. As a result, several of the wires' insullations look a little melted near the splices.

So, what I'm wondering now is: what damage could this have caused? I know several of the wires run to things like the starter relay, lights, etc. What are the best and worst case scenarios here?

Thanks

·
Registered
9,693 Posts
Re: My bike was stolen!! And now it won\'t start...

first off check the fuse box. if there is a fuse blown look to see there it goes and then follow that wire to make sure that it is insulated.

·
Registered
213 Posts

you should just pick up another wiring harness off ebay.

·
Registered
822 Posts

What fuckin tools, MAN would I like to catch somone doing this shit........................

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

first off check the fuse box. if there is a fuse blown look to see there it goes and then follow that wire to make sure that it is insulated.
haha, oh man, that makes me feel really dumb. I don't know why I hadn't thought of checking fuses... I'll take a look later this morning.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

you should just pick up another wiring harness off ebay.
I know; and I probably will. But the weather just turned beautiful after 3 weeks of rain, so I suddenly have "the urge."

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

haha, oh man, that makes me feel really dumb. I don't know why I hadn't thought of checking fuses... I'll take a look later this morning.
Well, unfortunately, no fuses are blown. That makes me pretty nervous... Any more ideas?

·
Registered
4,058 Posts

get a manual and a soldering gun and go to work. it sounds like you have something crossed

·
Registered
105 Posts

atleast you got yours back, i would rather have mine back with the wiring problem then to still be sitting here with no bike. Good luck on fixing it, i would check the battery to make sure it didnt lose charge for some reason and then replace the entire harness

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

get a manual and a soldering gun and go to work. it sounds like you have something crossed
I have both, however, I don't think I have anything crossed. There were only 8 wires that were cut so the fix was pretty simple, except that there were two red wires of the same gauge but after looking at the wiring diagram in my manual (which was far from accurate) I assumed the wires went to the same place (they were probably both hot all the time.)

I think the problem is worse than having something crossed. My guess is something got fried up... but I don't know what or where to start looking...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

atleast you got yours back, i would rather have mine back with the wiring problem then to still be sitting here with no bike. Good luck on fixing it, i would check the battery to make sure it didnt lose charge for some reason and then replace the entire harness
I'm definitely happy I got it back. My 5.0L Mustang was stolen last summer...and it never came back. So I know how you feel. If I ever caught someone pulling this shit with any of my vehicles again...well, I'd probably be up for a manslaughter trial.

I'm sure the battery is, at best, dead, if not completely shot. I hooked the bike up to my bimmer with jumper cables, but to no avail. It should have been getting enough juice from that to at least light up some gauges, but it wouldn't do anything.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts

It's your main fuse. Its in the tail section on the left side of the bike with you sitting on it. Take the tail off, it's a 30 amp fuse in its own holder connected straight to the battery.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

It's your main fuse. Its in the tail section on the left side of the bike with you sitting on it. Take the tail off, it's a 30 amp fuse in its own holder connected straight to the battery.
You were right; sort of... The fuse was blown, so I replaced it, but I'm still not getting anything...

·
Registered
352 Posts

did you check the main fuse in the back or just the front fuse'? check each wire that was cut for current , do you have a tester? what about a wiring diagram.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

did you check the main fuse in the back or just the front fuse'? check each wire that was cut for current , do you have a tester? what about a wiring diagram.
I replaced the main fuse (the one on the starter relay in the tail.) None of the fuses in the front fuse box were blown. I'm going to borrow a multimeter from a friend today and start testing individual wires. I have the Clymer manual which has a decent wiring diagram; however, it doesn't appear to be very accurate. There are several wires in the harness that was cut that don't appear on the diagram...

I'm really hoping the ECU wasn't shorted out; if the main fuse blew though, it should have kept anything too messy from happening, but I still can't seem to pinpoint the problem.

I really appreciate all the input so far; if anyone has any more ideas please feel free to share them.

Thanks

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Well, I got it running. After poking around with a multimeter I discovered that a connector on the harness going to the ignition came undone. I had to pull the tank and air box off to find it.

Anyway, thanks for all your help!

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts

Well, I got it running. After poking around with a multimeter I discovered that a connector on the harness going to the ignition came undone. I had to pull the tank and air box off to find it.

Anyway, thanks for all your help!
Well that's good. Maybe that was the reason the theives couldn't get it started. I bet they pulled a little too hard on the harness and it came disconected.

gixxerman

·
Registered
4,058 Posts

thank god srads were made with some cheap as fucking wiring harness'.. and here i was pissed because my lights kept on flickering all last summer till i fixed it with a toothpick

1 - 20 of 25 Posts