Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my bike is f\'ed... check out the video :) *fixed link

well i think my bike is in need of some dire repair... although i havent crashed or anything it is making some horrible horrible noise! the other day when i was going to work early in the morning i was driving it hard without a warmup, and this wierd noise appeared... so i took it back to the house, grabbed the car and went on my way

after this the sound seemed to go away.. and now its back!
i have no idea what it would be... im inclined to fix it, but i dont know where to start, so i took a video with audio of the bike and you can hear the 'clicking' sound pretty good...

check it out:

http://jester.gamewarrior.net/jessebike.mov (12mbs)

any ideas on what it could be? im going to pull the plugs tomorrow night and try to get to the bottom of thisbut for now i just have it set up with the tank above the bike, bc i was getting ready to do a carb synch, bc i know they arnt in the best sychage (sp? lol) but i dont think that would really help at this stage (would it?)... anyways...

any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated!
ps: i havent seen anyone try this before, by tdoing a vid with audio to try to help diagnose a bike, but if it works i can try to host some peoples vids for them!

oh yea.. and does anyone know what is behind the fairing rubber attachment thing? as you can see there is some mysterious oil on one side of my bike, an di dont think its coming from the cam chain hex head bolt on that side...

cheers

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
Re: my bike is f\'ed... check out the video :)

yeah, one of my bike's engine left me stranded on a ride about two weeks ago. i think it is going to be the tranny. it made some horrible noise rattling noises from the bottom end.

i was thinking the same thing; taking a video so gixxer.com members can listen to it and help diagnose.

good luck.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

sounds like you and i might just have the same problem!
haha
i cant get the f'in thing to u/l right now tho!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts

What's troubling is that the sound started abruptly. It's so hard to hear where the sound is coming from, and also to differentiate the sound that you are talking about from the rough idle the bike has. Although your carbs are out of synch, and/or your mixture screws are jacked, I don't think that would cause a tapping in the top end (as much as it might a chattering in the bottom end). At any rate, if the sound is coming from the top end, it sounds like one of your valve-tappet nuts may have come loose. If I am hearing correctly (which I am probably not), it sounds like one valve tapping to beat hell. Wish I was there to give a listen. To rule out simple stuff, did one of your header bolts jump out on one of those cold-start thrashings? Is your camchain tensioner acting a fool? If the sound is coming from the top end, I would pull the valve cover and have a look inside. Make sure your rocker arms and tappets...wait...your year model doesn't have tappets, does it? If there are shims in that head, it's (theoretically) possible that one of your valves "spit a shim." I've heard that it can happen on those shim-no-bucket heads (never actually seen it though). If it is a shim model, wiggle those rocker arms, and look for one arm with a retarded amount of play in it, and missing a shim. If your bike has no rocker arms, i.e. the cam lobes contact the shims directly (I know little about your year in particular), still look for a missing shim. It stands to reason that it would be easier to spit a shim when the bike is cold. By the way, I'm just brainstorming, hoping that something I say may help.

If the sound is actually coming from the bottom end, maybe you and 86 should start the "BBE" Club--Busted Bottom End Club. Just kidding.

On a side note, (and I know it sucks to have someone tell you what you "should have done" when the damage has already occured, but) I always ride my bike with a girlie wrist until it is hot enough that I can almost burn my hand on the clutch cover--usually takes about ten minutes of riding like my grandma did the time I let her ride the gixxer (at least till it was warmed up--then she started stunting.) But at any rate, good luck.

Not to point out the obvious, but I wouldn't ride it until you have a look at that valvetrain--rockers/shims/cams.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts

I just watched the video again, and it sounds like your bike is not running on all four cylinders. To eliminate this possibility, put some spit on your finger and tap it onto each header pipe immediately after starting the bike. The spit should disappear (maybe sizzle)quickly on all pipes whose cylinders are firing. If one pipe doesn't get hot in a few seconds, you may not be running on all fours. This would cause a strange sound. Anyway, I gotta go to bed.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

good stuff tbrown

i'll check it out tonight when i get home from work...
just one quick q, i know i can do the camchain while the motor is in the bike, but what about the valve stuff you are talking about?

i do have a haynes so i wont be fumbling in the total darkness, but i just like to clarify things!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts

The valvetrain can be checked with the motor in the bike. Just remove the valve cover, and have a look. Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

well i took off of the valve cover... and it looks like all of the valves have their shims...
how can i check if the cam chain has the right tension?

anything else i can check/do in here? lol
it seems i just took it off to look in it, so i feel like i have to play in there somewhere haha
and it seems to be running on all four... they all got really really hot within like a min

·
Registered
800 Posts

If you think you have an oil leak, left side fairing mount, and you want to check for it.
Clean the suspect area . dry it. Then Spray Foot powder (aerosol) on the suspect area.
If its leaking, it will show up quickly as a dark patch on your footpowder.
You can 'pin-point' the problem, as oil has a way of leaching into some strange places.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

awesome thanks james... i was finding it really hard to tell where it was coming from bc of the way the wind pushes the oil back as i drive... ill try this when i put it back on the road.. if ever!

haha

1 - 10 of 10 Posts