Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I going to have a hard time removing the carbs from the bike?

I was told I am likely going to have to take them all four off to clean them.

Is there anyplace that sells rebuilt carbs that I could buy and send the old ones back for a core fee?

I am brand new to bikes so I have lots of odd questions.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Not to be an ass, but shouldn't you be posting this in the Water Cooled Gixxers forum?

·
Registered
553 Posts
Carb cleaning....I don't think this is on anyones list of fun bike things to do..!!

I don't know of any places that offer a core replacement service, it would probably be way too expensive if they did. The best bet is to set some time aside and do the job yourself. A manual will be your best friend here, especially when you delve into the carb internals.

The job is more of a pain than being difficult. You need a firm (but not rough) hand to remove them and put them back again afterwards. As for the carb internals, you just need to be very careful and delicate with the components.

As long as you work in a clean environment and work methodically you will do the job just fine. Take your time and you'll learn a new skill.

Good Luck....

·
Registered
763 Posts
Originally posted by Bold:
Not to be an ass, but shouldn't you be posting this in the Water Cooled Gixxers forum?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Bold,

Cut this guy some slack, 1992 GSXR's 750 & 1100 are oil-cooled in the USA....

JDB1371

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Originally posted by J.D.:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Bold:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Bold,

Cut this guy some slack, 1992 GSXR's 750 & 1100 are oil-cooled in the USA....

JDB1371
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Oops! Guess I was being an ass afterall!!! DOH!!
Sorry...

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Originally posted by Jason94Cobra:

Is there anyplace that sells rebuilt carbs that I could buy and send the old ones back for a core fee?

Thanks
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">If nobody's welcomed you to gixxer.com yet allow me...welcome!

As for cleaning your carbs...did the bike sit for an extended period or did you use evil/crappy gas?

If you're removing them because the bike is running rough, it could be you just need to get it jetted properly or it could be some undiagnosed problem.

In any event, here's a link to amazon.com for a comprehensive manual on carbs...you could also order it from your local shop or Ayer's Motorsports here on the site...
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0856966037/qid%3D1023123299/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F0%5F1/104-8846773-4100749

Pulling the carbs off is relatively easy. You just have to not be ham-handed when you pull them and steady when you reinstall them.

A brief procedure would be...

...remove the seat
...remove the tank & unplug the fuel/vacuum lines from the petcock
...unscrew the "hose clamps" around the airbox intakes and the intake manifolds (in front and behind the carbs)
...remove the rubbers between the airbox and the carbs to allow you room to wiggle the carbs off
...remove the breather tube from the top of the valvehead cover to the airbox
...gently rock the carbs fore & aft while pulling rearward
...slide the carbs (oh, BTW all 4 are attached together) to the right hand side of the bike
...disconnect the throttle cable from the pulley(in the middle of the carbs is an end to the cable, slide it out of the pulley)
...don't invert the carbs or you'll get gas everywhere.
...there is a screw at the bottom of each carb perpendicular to the drain line(looks like a nipple on each bottom of the carbs) give the screw a turn COUNTERCLOCKWISE to allow the gas out of the carb (do this outside into a disposal container)

...now get a manual before you take anything else apart.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Once you have cut the air box apart with a hacksaw it's easy. Don't bother with the air box just replace it with some K&N's and the carb removal is a breeze. I was forced to do this job a week ago on my 86 1100 and it sucks but can be done.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Originally posted by GSXR1255JIMMY:
WELCOME

JUST go buy a set of 38mm mikunis and that will solve your problem
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
The 92 750 comes with 38mm Mikunis

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
Welcome! Tehy are a pain to get out but as long as you are careful the rebuild will go pretty smooth.
Bones

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
He means RS flatslides......
-Karl

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Pulling the carbs off is relatively easy. You just have to not be ham-handed when you pull them and steady when you reinstall them.

<snip!>
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Simon, I don't mean to step on toes or anything, but having just gone through this on a US-model, I thought I could offer some additional hints...

there are "wire clip-thingies" in the airbox that secure the rubber boots from the backside of the carbs to the airbox... if you pull those out (one on each side) the rubber boots will fall back into the airbox after you unclamp them from the backs of the carbs. This gives you *just enough* room to get the carbs out of the boots on the back of the engine (which are much tougher to remove).

...the throttle cable is easier to deal with once the carbs are on a workbench somewhere instead of dangling half-in/half-out of the bike... disassemble your throttle-grip (two phillips-head screws on the bottom) and take the cable out of there and it makes getting the carbs to the workbench a whole lot easier.

...and lastly... on US models, there are dastardly plugs (blame the EPA) over the idle-mixture screws that Simon (who has a Canadian-model) is talking about... you'll need a 1/8" drill-bit and sheet-metal screw (and a careful drill-hand) to remove the plugs before you can adjust those screws.

Do yourself a favor while you have the rack out of the bike too... toss all those phillips-head fasteners on the float-bowls and vacuum-caps (that you will likely foul-up when you remove anyway) into the dumpster, and replace them with allen-head screws. This will allow you to easily swap main-jets and/or change needle settings without having to remove the carbs from the bike again.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Originally posted by Jason94Cobra:

Thanks
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">send them to us and i will clean them for you for $50 plus shipping back to you...

thanks,
dwayne

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Originally posted by FastCat:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

<snip!>

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Simon, I don't mean to step on toes or anything, but having just gone through this on a US-model, I thought I could offer some additional hints...
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">No offence intended and I never took any

I was only going on what I've observed of '91/92's since I don't own one.

I think the offer of $50 plus shipping is a way I wish I'd gone...I hate the smell of gas...especially varnish.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow, thanks guys for all the advice!! I think I will be ok on this job, I was mostly worried about getting them off of the bike. I just talked to a guy that informed me about the carbs coming off as a unit!! That kicks ass!!!

Simon, the problem could be a little of each you mentioned. The bike has been sitting for a spell and also was running a little rough before it sat. The bike has a Yoshimira slip on and some kind of a jet kit in the carbs. They make not have been synched properly which is another thing on the list of to do items as soon as I finally get her home! I've got a couple of friends with the synch tools but I have heard these particular 750's are a bear to tune. I dunno about that, but I hope it turns out ok.

I've rebuilt small carbs before, they were just easier to get off or already off of whatever thy came from. A manual is one of the items on my list of "hope to find used" things as I am not sure how long I will want to keep this bike. I was thinking of getting a newer GSXR-600 or a ZX6R.

As far as Bold, I'm a newbie to bikes, but not an idiot!!! lol Just kiddin man....

·
Registered
763 Posts
Jason94Cobra,

If you decide to let it go, LET ME KNOW..

I would possibly be interested in it.

But, I will tell you this though, if you get a new one, you will regret it WHEN AN OIL-COOLED GSXR, like you have now GOES BY YOU LIKE YOU WERE SITTING STILL....

THINK ABOUT THAT BEFORE YOU GET RID OF IT....

About the carb clean, I did the same thing on mine this weekend, and if you are mechnically inclined at all you can do it without allot of trouble. THE MANUAL, HOWEVER, SHOULD DEFINITELY CLOSE BY.

I am still working on getting the bike tuned now, but I have 36's, which is was told are a little easier to tune that the 38's.

LATER,

JDB1371

·
Registered
553 Posts
Hey J.D.

Are you just cleaning and sync'ing your carbs, or are you installing a jet kit whilst you have them in bits..??

Dave....

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Originally posted by J.D.:
Jason94Cobra,

If you decide to let it go, LET ME KNOW..

I would possibly be interested in it.

But, I will tell you this though, if you get a new one, you will regret it WHEN AN OIL-COOLED GSXR, like you have now GOES BY YOU LIKE YOU WERE SITTING STILL....

THINK ABOUT THAT BEFORE YOU GET RID OF IT....

JDB1371
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
With out some major $$$ work I doubt a 92 750 would be passing a new 600 like it was standing still

[ 06-04-2002, 08:07 AM: Message edited by: Pod99966 ]

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
J.D.

Don't get me wrong, I love my 92 750, and I will shed a tear the day it goes bye bye.

But lets be real, a 92 750 is about 95rwhp stock. and 100lbs heavier than a new 600 which has about the same hp stock. Other than major engine work there is nothing you can do to the 92 to make it faster than the 600 that you can't do to the 600 cheaper. not to mention there are more atfermarket parts available for the new bikes.

Old school gixxers are my favorite, But that is because of the look, the history, the rarity, and that's what they looked like when I first saw one and knew I had to have one. And they are as fast and quick as a bike needs to be (unless your racing it).

But no, an old 750 would not hang with the new bikes. not with out an 1100 motor

1 - 20 of 27 Posts