Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever mess with Muzzleloaders Much???????? I got a new Knight muzzle loader that uses 209 primers and it will not fire. Its like the firing pin will not go out far enough to strick the primer. Any thoughts??????:dunno
I have taken it apart dont see anything that would keep it from malfunctioning in the trigger assy. Any Help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I'm not familiar with that particular model, but I'll brain dump what I know about troubleshooting muzzle-loaders...which isn't a lot, but I do own one. If the primers are old (open for a long time), they could be bad. Moisture = bad. I assume the primers themselves are not firing off at all? If they are not, then pull the firing pin and spring, check for any grease or obstructions in the assembly, sometimes new fire arms are packed with grease or have a small piece of machined metal that ends up in there. Clean it up really well. If it is firing the primer but not igniting the powder, then it's just cleaning the hole to the chamber with a small wire or perhaps some bad powder(unlikely).

If it's a new to you gun (meaning used) and everything else checks out and you are using new primers, it's possible the spring is worn and needs to be replaced. I troubleshot a Mauser once and after many failed fixes, it ended up being the spring was too weak since it was so old. It was leaving a good dent in the primer, but it wasn't striking it with enough force. A new spring for $5 has got it working like new.

Sorry if it doesn't help.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts