Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy.

Ive been lurking this board and a few others for a couple months. I really enjoy reading this stuff.

I recently got divorced, and though it may be a cliche, Ive decided to get a motorcycle now.

Ive read through most of the forums, and Im hoping to get a used Kawasaki EX500 once this years tax return comes in.

Anyway, a couple questions. First, Ive been looking at the motorcycle licenseing website hear in washington.

http://www.dol.wa.gov/ds/wmsp.htm

Im a bit confused about where it says that you can skip the written and skills test if you complete the safety course. My question is - do you have to have the intruction permit first? Do you have to have the instruction permit to take the course?

Or could you take the course, get the certificate, and walk in and get the motorcycle endorsement?

I would like to take the course in the next few weeks, and then just walk into the licensing department and get the endorsement if that is something that is possible. Even tho I wont be buying a bike for another couple months.

Or would it be better to wait till I have my own bike, get the Intruction permit, and get some time on my own on the bike before trying the course?

I have some experience riding dirt bikes when I was a teenager, but Im quite willing to admit to being inexperienced.

Thanks.

P.S. this may be old news around here, but this is a fun little motorcycle java game if you havent tried it yet.

http://www.dnainternet.fi/java/trials/en_index.html

·
Registered
153 Posts
I live in Washington myself and will be taking a refresher MSF course myself.

To take the class you don't need a motorcycle anything. That goes for Permit or endorsement.

Once you take the MSF class and pass with a certificate that immediately allows you to go to the DMV and obtain a Motorcycle endorsement + fees.

As for what's best for you I'll leave that up to you.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Originally posted by Athemon:
I live in Washington myself and will be taking a refresher MSF course myself.

To take the class you don't need a motorcycle anything. That goes for Permit or endorsement.

Once you take the MSF class and pass with a certificate that immediately allows you to go to the DMV and obtain a Motorcycle endorsement + fees.

As for what's best for you I'll leave that up to you.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">By the way....

With spring coming up and the sun just around the corner, good luck getting into one of those classes you may need to find out as soon as you can when they'll be taking registrations in your area.

When I registered at 7am in the morning I was an hour early at 6am. Some people were there since 3am.

·
Rookie
1,401 Posts
I took the MSF course in the parking lot at Boeing (the MRC/SS) In kent. The course is great, great instructors and they actually had newer bikes.

But you are correct, you don't need a permit and when you have completed the course, you go to the DOL and get the motorcyclew endorsement on your license. Sign up now, cause The longer you wait the more likely you are to have to take it next year...

And good luck to you

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
yeah, the classes here in MO sure filled up fast. My suggestion would be to take ASAP, even if you dont have a bike. Like myself, you might not get around to taking the course. After riding last summer without it, I told myself I would take it this year and I am all signed up, and excited to learn actualy. It is highley recomended around here, in case you havent heard. good luck!

·
Registered
622 Posts
Originally posted by seattlegreg:
Howdy.
Im a bit confused about where it says that you can skip the written and skills test if you complete the safety course. My question is - do you have to have the intruction permit first? Do you have to have the instruction permit to take the course?

l[/URL]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I took the course a few years ago. Although you passing the course gets you out of taking the driving test at the local licensing department, you still must take the written test.

it's a good course, although they probably should spend more time dealing with emergency situations. But it's a great place to start.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts