Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am puting an 92 swingarm on my 86 750. I saw that you were trying to figure out what linkage to use. Did you use the stock linkage or cut the 92 linkage to fit? If you have pictures that would help.
Thanks

·
Banned
11,514 Posts
you have 3 options:

mod the existing linkage (you need to replace the center eccentric)

mod the 92 style linkage (you have to remove the two needle bearings, cut the housing down to half its width, cut the bearing sleeve to fit)

Buy a Fox SRS link (should cost about $90, you will need to use a 92 style shock and get the proper rate spring)

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Won't the SRS link still be too wide and not bolt up to the frame? I was thinking of cuting down the linkage (I have an extra one)but my only concern is how strong the piece would be after being cut down. How much strain is put on that piece during hard riding?
Thanks.

·
Banned
11,514 Posts
I am a little worried about strength after cutting, but if you look at your stock piece is is very thin and narrow where it bolts up to the frame

I believe the SRS link is narrow also

·
Registered
77 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by suzukiltd:
I am puting an 92 swingarm on my 86 750. I saw that you were trying to figure out what linkage to use. Did you use the stock linkage or cut the 92 linkage to fit? If you have pictures that would help.
Thanks
<hr></blockquote>

Hello,

I see lots of people are putting later year swingarms into first generation frames. I thought the first generation frames are notoriously weak and flexible. Anyboby out there try bracing and guesseting the frame and headstock? Maybe this will do more to improve the handling and stability than using a later year swingarm. I don't ride hard enough to notice the difference between stock and braced stuff, so I'm curious to know if the frame or the swingarm is the weak point.

Thanks,
Yancy

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
both......yoshimura used to literally double up the frames on their old superbikes. they would weld two frames together to stiffen them...

obviously there are less drastic ways to beefen up the frame a bit, but the question is how badly do you want/need that....

even welding a plate or cross member across the top two frame spars will increase rigidity (but will give you problems if you run the stock airbox).

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since I have the extra linkage I will try and cut it to fit. I will let you know how it turns out tommorrow.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Earlier this year I replaced my swingarm with the later style the 1986 750 swingarm is really poor. There is a huge improvement in handling by going to a later swingarm better shock and fixing the 3 point linkage with the rotating eccentric to the later 4 point style. Yes the frame does benefit from bracing but the swingarm stiffness is a bigger problem in my opinion than the frame and my 86 has 97 cartridge forks with goldvalves and goldvalves in the rear shock and 17" dunlops with a 180 back tire and at this point I think it is about as good as a middle 90's well sorted sport bike. The twimn cradle frame is probably never going to be as good as a beam frame so going to the trouble of bracing it I dont think is worth the bother, however if you are stuffing an 1100 engine in it then I think its time to beef the frame. If you search back you will find pics of my moded 86 with the newer swingarm.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here the pictures of the finished product.

Here are the pictures.
Now I just have to put it all together.
This is what it looked like before I cut it.

[ 12-09-2001: Message edited by: suzukiltd ]

[ 12-09-2001: Message edited by: suzukiltd ]</p>

·
Registered
48 Posts
Cringe.
Suzukiltd, looking at your pictures you have reduced the strength of that link by about 60%. Those webs take much of the stress, and it's just possible the link could collapse under heavy load. I would be very wary of using that setup. Don't wish to be a party pooper, but if you do use it don't carry a pillion and luggage!

·
Banned
11,514 Posts
he can't anyways, I believe he has no pass seat!

the stock one is quite wimpy looking also, so we will have a contest to see who busts their linkage first (unless Fox comes through with an SRS link)

·
Registered
434 Posts
Would strongly suggest before you put the new swingarm on the bike that you reinstall the old arm and linkage without the shock and spring and let the arm go to full extension, measure to a fixed point somewhere on the frame vertically and then when you put the new arm and linkage on that it goes to the same place, if not make new dogbones to correct it. This allong with the correct spring rate will allow you to get the frame rake in the ballpark. doug

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the input guys. I do have a concern about strength but there is still a chunck of aluminium on there. The stock piece is the same size so think I will be ok. I don't plan on doing any racing so I am thinking there won't be any extreme loads placed on that piece. I will keep everyone informed.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am just waiting on the bearings to come in. They should be here this week and I will put the frame together this weekend.
I will post some pictures when its done.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have the 92 750 shock. I did some rough measurments but I need the bearing to be more accurate.
I am just keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts