Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Moving to Salt Lake City

815 views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  2step750 
#1 ·
Living in england now but moving to Salt Lake City Utah! How far are we from Reno Nevada? What are the Roads like, cops, ppl, traffic, ect.....? Where do ppl go usually to ride? Can we trk our bikes in the winter time and ride in Vegas? I cant wait to come back to the states I been riding here for 3 yrs and miss riding on the right side of the road!

See less See more
#7 ·
Welcome to Utah. First the good news: several great canyons for twisties in the summer, the roads are not too crowded, and a good radar detector should keep you free of tickets. Now the bad news: except for the occasional Indian summer day, the riding season is over until March (I hope you like to ski and snowmobile). You can trailer your bike down to Las Vegas or Pahrump for a good track day, but if the track is not open, the riding in southern Nevada is farily flat and straight. You could check with the locals as SinCitySportbikes.com. The sportbike culture in seriously underdeveloped in Utah; from my limited perspective, the Utah Sportbike Association hosts a few events and parking lot schools but is dominated by dealers who want to sell sportbikes but could care less if anybody has any fun riding them; there is no track in the state, with the nearest trackS being the new Fernly-Reno track that is about 8 hours away (THE POSTER WHO SAID ELEVEN (11) HOURS TO RENO HAS NO BUSINESS ON A GIXXER OR ANY OTHER MOTOR VEHICILE BECUASE HE OBVIOUSLY DRIVES WELL UNDER THE SPEED LIMIT) or the Las Vegas speedway track that is harder to get on but is only about 7 hours away; Denver has a track as well that are also about eight hours away. In short, I am very jelous of my friends in California who ride year round and have numerous track day options. Email me if you have any more specific questions and I will try to help. My friend (also military) and I make several out of state track day trips each year, and if you have any interest, I can keep you posted on trailer space.

#9 ·
Welcome to Utah. The roads aren't very crowded and cops don't hassle sportbikers like they do in other states. Piper's Down is good motorcycle hangout during the riding season. There are a number of good canyons close to the city. Get to them before 8 am or else you will have to constantly pass minivans packed full of kids. The sportbike scene is quite underdeveloped; however, that means you can get pretty good deals on new bikes because the dealers know there isn't a high demand. The down side to living in a state w/o a good sportbike influence is that there aren't many good mechanics and tuners for sportbikes. Some dealerships can race prep a bike but you'll have to go out of state to get good suspension/engine modification work done.

#10 ·
Anthony00 said:

Living in england now but moving to Salt Lake City Utah! How far are we from Reno Nevada? What are the Roads like, cops, ppl, traffic, ect.....? Where do ppl go usually to ride? Can we trk our bikes in the winter time and ride in Vegas? I cant wait to come back to the states I been riding here for 3 yrs and miss riding on the right side of the road!
I just hope you get some good pratice runs in before you come to the dirty south next summer and get yo ass handed to you by that lil chunky brotha you are so scared of.

#11 ·
Hi lil chunky brotha, I had to change my s/n b/c I forgot my password, but anyways I am here now in utah looking to ride with anyone soon as we get some warm temps to roll. anyways if you all wanna teach me how to snow board i am up for it right after the top of the year. I bought a house in clearfield so we can party over here and throw some cards soon as I get set up. If anyone is interested I am going to work in vegas for a few weeks in march so I am going to trk my bike down there and ride to phoenix on my weekends off in march.

To the chunky brotha I'll see you dec 18th to woop that a$$

TO BOSTON

#13 ·
what the hell did John t. flesh mean no partys? you hung out with the wrong people, yeah the beer is weak here and kegs aren't legal but that dont stop us from drivin up to wyoming to get kegs for partys. we do rock paper sissor's to see who drives the car and who gets to ride, you loose you drive.
anyways welcome to utah, both of you.

#14 ·
well i am here now so i expect to be invited, i ran into 12 guys and 1 girl on base already that ride so looks like this summer is going to be sweet except I have to go to the sand box june - Aug so that really sux but I will be in vegas in march for 2 weeks for work riding everyday. tony

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.