Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was looking for something to replace my 2004 Kawasaki Ninja 500R that lasted 109k miles, I was initially looking for a 2008+ Yamaha R6. While I was looking, I noticed that the R1s were coming in at around $1000-$1200 less than the R6s. I initially wanted a 2004-2006 R1, but a decent deal popped up on a 2007 R1 with 14k miles and so I pulled the trigger (2007-2008s went from 5 valves per cylinder to 4, went to ride by wire, shortened the intake runners past 10k rpm, and were the last of the flat plane cranks). At first I bought into the hype of the R1 being a lightweight literbike, but was disappointed when the actual weight fully fueled was 460+ pounds.

The closest track to me is Jennings off of I-75 near the FL-GA state line. It is a tight track and although the R1 was incredibly stable, I was never “one” with it as I felt I had to wrestle it into the turns. When I was sitting on various bikes, even the current generation R1 felt top heavy.

Other issues with the R1 were as follows. The main source of dissatisfaction stemmed from the fact that the engine did not wake-up until the engine climbed north of 10k rpm. Then, redline hit quickly at 13.75k rpm. By then you are exceeding any speed limit in the US in 1st gear. I just couldn’t use it without the fear of getting arrested. Plus, Jennings is such a tight track, I rarely made it past 3rd gear. I never did make it to Daytona before the R1 grenaded its engine at 53k miles, which was another disappointment. The second issue was that 1st gear was so tall that it struggled to come off the line unless you were feeding it a lot of revs, which was annoying on a daily basis. This necessitated re-gearing, which also for me meant a SpeedoHealer. The next issue was that the ergos were designed for a taller rider than me at 5’5”. This led to me purchasing some Vortex rearsets that were great, but the shift rod wouldn’t fit through the frame, which necessitated switching to a GP shift pattern (this led to another issue—the leverage generated from the shift rod being so far from the bike caused it not to stay attached to the shift rail, which left me stranded once and limping around until I could get home several times until I bought a shift knuckle manufactured by Woodcraft). The next issue was the cat collapsing and nearly melting everything above the exhaust and the exup valve motor dying. This necessitated grinding off the valve and buying an attachment in place of the motor to get rid of the check engine light and getting an aftermarket midpipe to eliminate the cat (I couldn’t afford a full exhaust at the time), which was a good time to get a tune (I’m fuzzy, but I think that pushed wheel HP past 160). A few years ago, I lowsided at Jennings and tweaked my left bar. A new bar was like $100+ and so I went with clip-ons. I didn’t realize that this meant that I could no longer use the stock steering stabilizer. This eventually led to be buying a Scott unit approximately 2 weeks before the R1 died.

So when I looked for a replacement, my priorities were a race influenced bike with low weight and a bike that I could use on the street without necessarily getting arrested. I also wanted a bike with a longer production run than two years. I narrowed the choices to the GSX-R600 and CBR600RR. I came across a decent price on the 2015 GSX-R600 with 6k miles and pulled the trigger.

I absolutely love this bike! I love the mid-range. I love how it comes alive lower in the rev range and doesn’t just light up at the top end. I love how flickable it is. I love how the ergos are right for me. I love how I don’t have to sprinkle it with aftermarket parts to make it work for me. I can’t wait to take to Jennings.

I know that for many, the 750 is the better bike, but for me, the 600 is perfect. I probably wouldn’t have thought this had I not come from a literbike, but this is where I am now. Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't wait. Where have you tracked your 600? How did you feel about gearing, etc.? Thanks, TK

·
Registered
160 Posts
I love my K7 600, I came from a few previous bikes myself. However I thoroughly love this bike... As for the 07 YZF-R1, I believe they initially had clip ons, I know my 02 YZF-R6 did, but it also had a GPR dampner on it. Loved that thing, which I had one on my Gixxer, but for now I'll stick with the stock one that it has.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, they had one-piece clip-ons. The left one had the mount for the stock steering stabilizer. Once I went to the Vortex 2-piece clip-ons, I lost my mount. I tried using an aftermarket mount, but they snapped several stock mounting bolts. I finally gave up on it and went with the Scotts.

·
Registered
232 Posts
The reason why many of us are in love with the 750 is that you wouldn't be able to tell it is the 750 if it were not for the decals on it, and if you're familiar with them, the lower redline. On the street I couldn't tell much of a difference between my L1 600 with -1 front sprocket and my stock L3 750. On the track it was a different story; there I noticed it, the 600 did feel lighter and more flickable.

I also had a '07 CBR 600RR; I'd take the GSXR any day over the CBR.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Ahhh... Ok, I didn’t realize that. I had been involved in an accident in 2010 on my 02 R6 as well. Right clip on was tweaked, but I was lucky and found one new for $100 locally from someone that was selling their bike. They had bought a set because they were going to repair their bike, instead they parted it out and sold me quite a few new parts they had for it.

Ride safe out there, remember, rubber side down! :)

Yes, they had one-piece clip-ons. The left one had the mount for the stock steering stabilizer. Once I went to the Vortex 2-piece clip-ons, I lost my mount. I tried using an aftermarket mount, but they snapped several stock mounting bolts. I finally gave up on it and went with the Scotts.

·
Hand-Eye Coordinator
6,529 Posts
At first I bought into the hype of the R1 being a lightweight literbike
Where the hell did you hear that? They've been boats for years...

That being said, fuck the 750. The "perfect balance" that the magazines pushed for years is a lie. You will love the 600.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Meeps, Thanks. You too.

Süsser Tod, I know with the R1, it was me and my lack of talent as there are plenty of people that haul tail on it. That being said, I found it a split moment slower into a turn that I expected without wrestling with it, but then there was a lot of momentum to overcome to get it to turn in the other direction. I never felt comfortable in it. I'm looking forward to the lightness of the 600. I'm glad I pulled the trigger on the gixxer vs the cbr I was initially going to buy 🙂

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
MacBayne, I think it was a great example of me projecting my expectations onto what I thought was the best looking, attainable bike at the time. Also, there was a certain mystique of getting a literbike. Live and learn.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
More things to love... Spark plug changes are so much easier. Removing the velocity stacks, so much easier. Being able to adjust the foot pegs and reverse the shift pattern for free, priceless 🙂

1 - 11 of 11 Posts