Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got some race body work (God Father), was wondering about when you mount with the bolt wholes on the side front upper fairing if you use the rubber grommets off you old fairings or do you just use a bolt straight through the fiber glass? Or is there a better way? Also what type of paint should I use? And where can I get it? I'm NOT looking for beautiful just decent and cheap (because I'll just end up dropping it anyways). How do I by-pass the kick stand switch?

thanks in advance,
Max

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
If you are talking about the upper where it attaches to the fairing stay, I didn't use any rubber and used DZUS fasterners to attach it. Some people use zip ties.

For the Kickstand switch, just short the two wires that go to the kick stand switch together.

If you are careful, you can get real nice results with auto spray paint I used Duplicolor Truck and Van paint.

If you are not careful, you can get results like Adam's bike with spray paint

·
Registered
237 Posts
WOT,
Listen to the TAZman . . . . . all of his answers are correct.

He did a kickass paint job on his bike . . . it looks good tn the pics (post the link Taz) . . .and GREAT in person.

AS he said, be careful and take your time . . do a little fine sanding and it will look good.
Remember that 90% of the job is in the prep, and make sure its clean. Get that right and the rest will work out.

You can use $200.00 a pint paint, clear coat, and other agents like a pro shop and if you don't take your time and do it right it will look like SHIT !

When your all done with the paint job sticker it up, run some pinstripes (if two colors) and you will be very happy with the job.

Good Luck and post pics during and after the job is finished . .

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice!! Exactly what I was looking for.

what is involved in the prep work (Prep solv and 400 grit I guess)?
I guess I can get the paint at pep boys?
Do I use primer? And what about a clear coat?
How many cans cover the body work?
Where can i get the pin stripe stuff?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The mounting point I was talking about is the one on the side of the bike that attaches to the frame. The factory fairing has rubber there.

·
Registered
16,168 Posts
Nice!! Exactly what I was looking for.

what is involved in the prep work (Prep solv and 400 grit I guess)?
I guess I can get the paint at pep boys?
Do I use primer? And what about a clear coat?
How many cans cover the body work?
Where can i get the pin stripe stuff?

I sanded the body work with 320, then primered, sanded with 400, then paint..no clear coat, apply about 3 thins coats, then 1 sorta heavy coat to get some gloss...

You can get the pinstrip stuff at pep boys auto parts..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts