Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
While I have been on the track with the GSXR-1000 my goal is to turn it into a more competent sports tourer. I know all of you are saying well get a Sport Tourer. Well yes, I already have a FJR1300, perfect for two up. For the FJR I have a Givi V46 tail trunk, which could be mounted if Givi made the hardware to attach the required mounting plate. But of course they don't.

I spent a lot of time thinking about how I would do this. I bought some aluminum for fabrication, but never got off my ass on the design of a bracket to mount the plate. Then my buddy said why don't you 3D print it? This got me thinking, so I went to the hobby store and purchased some balsa wood for a mock up.

Below is a picture of underneath the seat.

On the GSXR-1000, there are two convenient mounting points at the rear, the two attachment points that mount the bodywork and provide rubber cushions for the passenger seat. Up front there are no threaded holes. Riv nuts to the rescue. There are two small holes on the forward bracket which after a small amount of drilling, M6 riv nuts were installed. These are the goldish items at each end of the cross plate.
The end goal is to mount this Givi mounting plate shown below, which has 6 potential mounting holes, 4 of which will be used.

The nice thing about this mounting plate is that it looks ok without anything on top. Plus it is a convenient mount for my Nelson Riggs tail trunk as the Givi V46 is Ginormous and only for extended trips.

Next was to make a balsa wood mock up of said bracket. Here a couple of pictures of the model, which becomes the basis for a CAD design. The finished look of the model is not important, only the bolt locations and standoff distances from bodywork are important.

The last 4 days I have spent learning "SketchUp", a CAD modeling program. Thankfully there are lots of good YouTube videos on the software. I spent many hours getting the model right. Here is what I have so far. It is upside down as this is how it will need to be printed.

Helicoils will be inserted into the 4 mounting locations where the Givi plate attaches.

I know nothing about 3D printing, so have yet to pick a vendor or material type. I will probably print a cheaper mock up first to make sure everything lines up. Then after any adjustments I can print the final bracket in a higher quality material.

Are you a 3D printer, or do you know of a good 3D printer that you recommend? I am in Los Angeles / Orange County, however that is less important as a file can be sent via email to print.

Thanks for reading! - John

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Well I just finished up the project. Recap.... 1) Balsa wood mock up..... 2) Cad design and 3D print 1st draft..... 3) Adjust and make changes and do final 3D print.

The final print was done today. Done in a PLA Plus plastic at full density. The total cost was around $80 plus $50 for the first draft. Everything lined up perfectly. I just had to drill out the four mounting holes in the plastic 3D bracket and tap and insert heli coils so the Givi plate could be bolted on to the 3D plastic bracket.

Below is the final 3D printed bracket to replace the passenger seat.

Below is the 3D bracket with Givi mounting plate on top.

Below would be with a Medium size Nelson Rigg tail pack. This tail pack did mount on top of the seat, however it was not as secure as one would like, as the seat was much smaller than the base of the bag.

And now for the Behemoth.... The Givi V47 tail trunk.

I am very happy with the overall results. Yes the Givi is huge and looks hideous on the GSXR. But you aren't supposed to sport tour a GSXR either. The mount seems rock solid and the placement of the tail trunk is ideal for weight distribution. Yes something a little more streamlined would look better, but this will be the domain of the Nelson Riggs tail trunk. Plus you could mount any tail trunk in the Givi Monokey line. Givi Monokey cases.
I just happened to already own a V47 from my FJR1300.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Well done.. I have a similar setup on my Tuono (also not a sport tourer) but I think the Gixxer could be comfortable enough for some travel time.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
I would def buy one . Perfect for a trip to the GP in Barcelona this Covid allowing of course. Pref the soft bag option for me.

·
That’s Mister Moderator To You ....
8,184 Posts
I'm very impressed with the job overall - nice. So this 'PLA Plus plastic at full density' is robust enough that those two 'hooks' will sustain a loaded topcase with the occasional 4-5G jolt after hitting a good pothole?

·
8,184 Posts
Well done.. I have a similar setup on my Tuono (also not a sport tourer) but I think the Gixxer could be comfortable enough for some travel time.
I apologize to OP for starting a tangent but could you post-up your Tuono's setup? I still haven't even figured out how to put the passenger seat on my 2018 Factory's tail, never mind a case.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm very impressed with the job overall - nice. So this 'PLA Plus plastic at full density' is robust enough that those two 'hooks' will sustain a loaded topcase with the occasional 4-5G jolt after hitting a good pothole?
Thanks! The system is very solid. I have little concern about the plastic holding up under aggressive use.

Two Hooks? The 3D bracket bolts to the motorcycle subframe in 4 locations. See the white 3D model above. This view shows the bracket upside down. The bracket bolts to the mounting location at the rear on top of the two rubber grommets that support the rear of the seat. In addition it bolts to the crossbar that houses the seat lock. There are two holes already drilled in this cross bar. These holes were drill out slightly and M6 riv nuts were installed. So the plastic platform to which the Givi mounting plate attached is very firmly bolted to the bike in 4 locations. It is not going anywhere.

The Givi plate attaches with 4 M6 screws onto the top of the plastic bracket. To ensure that the plastic bracket would not fail at these 4 threaded locations, I installed heli coils. On the plastic bracket you will notice two tabs at the side rear and two slight bosses protruding on the 45 degree leading edge of the bracket. This is where the 4 heli coil inserts were installed.

The Givi Bracket is VERY ridged by itself, which adds rigidity, so no one screw hole is stressed. The Givi plate load is therefore evenly distributed across all 4 points since it is a solid plate of aluminum. I don't think there are any weak points to the overall design, even if the top box was loaded down and I was riding on rough roads for hours. But time will tell. If there were to be a failure, I think it will be visible before becoming catastrophic.

With the 3D design, I could make changes to any weak areas or have it re-printed in a more durable material, like a fiber impregnated nylon or something along those lines. But that would cost about $300. The current process and material only cost $80.

·
Registered
249 Posts
That's not a bad job at all John,, I'm impressed. Yes the idea or concept of a sports bike dressed up as a tourer can seem a little bit bit - "huh, why'd you do that",, but then again I can't really talk as I have the same bike and I only use mine to ride around the country side (that's if I ever mange to actually get out in between the outbreaks of COVID lately). I use a small Givi tank bag on mine at times, only to hold cellphone, wallet, keys and maybe a snack or two etc, but it does come in handy. It's mounted around the gas filler lid and is easily taken off with the pull of a small lever and simply clips back on, so topping up with gas is no problem either. Having a larger storage compartment like yours can have real advantages. Does it affect the handling at all. I can remember in the past, having pack racks on several large bike I owned, and some of them had slight handling issues at moderate to higher speeds at times...
Nice one,,

Al

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Does it affect the handling at all. I can remember in the past, having pack racks on several large bike I owned, and some of them had slight handling issues at moderate to higher speeds at times..
I don't know yet, haven't taken it out. However, I think it should be fine. The trunk is right behind me. I weigh 170lbs. It probably isn't any different than just a heavier rider or wearing a back pack.

These two hook-shaped things.

View attachment 575388
Ahh yes. If the Givi plate was supported by the above balsa wood mock up, then yes, it would be a disaster.

These two "hooks" are just flat pieces of balsa wood glued together to help me locate the forward mounting holes relative to the rear mounting holes and relative to the top deck. The purpose of the balsa wood mock up is to help me calculate the dimensions that will go into the CAD program and aid in visualizing the design.

The two balsa wood hooks give me an X, Y, Z location for the bolt holes. Once I know the location of the bolt holes I can design the support / attachment method in a manner that seems most appropriate. In the photo below, you can see that these two forward bolt holes, formerly the balsa wood hooks" were replaced with cylindrical towers. Adjacent to the cylindrical towers are the holes which will be drilled and heli coils inserted for the givi plate. These holes are a very small 1/8" because I wanted to be able to drill them out to the correct size required by the heli coils. The four Givi mounting plate locations are pretty close to the attachment points to the bike (the four cylinders), enhancing strength.

The above photo is of the First revision in ABS with 20% fill. It was sturdy but light. I made some small changes to the first rev before final printing. Those cylindrical towers are 1.25" diameter with 5//8" counter sunk access holes from the top to bolt the bracket down to the riv nuts in the front cross bar. The final revision of the plastic bracket is solid PLA plastic. The part is really quite substantial. However if it isn't strong enough, I could add some gussets, webbing, make it thicker, or choose a different material. The potentially weakest point are the M6 Heli Coils I inserted into the top plate of the plastic to attach the Givi plate. Individually these could fail, but since there are 4 attachment points and the Givi plate is extremely solid plate aluminum, the whole upper plate will unify the 4 separate heli coil attachment points.

I am pretty confident of the strength and durability of the final product. Of course time will tell. I do have a pretty good mechanical sense as well as a BS in Mechanical Engineering. A true test would be to hook up the Givi plate either at the front or rear of the plate to a ceiling hoist and try to lift up the bike via the plate and see what might fail, but I don't have a ceiling hoist. If the ceiling hoist could pick up the bike, maybe a static, 200lbs at the rear, it would probably be good for a dynamic 30-40lbs. Fortunately the PLA plastic has some flex to it, it isn't brittle. So if there is a failure, I am likely to see stress fractures before there is catastrophic failure.

·
8,184 Posts
Ahh, I see now. That was just the mockup part of the process. So back to saying 'great job!'

·
Registered
L7 Gixxer 1k
91 Posts
Thanks! The system is very solid. I have little concern about the plastic holding up under aggressive use.
Great job!
Awesome project! (y)

Any updates?

I'm doing long trips on weekends as well, and am looking for ideas.
Been riding Gixxer 1ks for 20 years, and this is the first season I want to make some changes like helibars, dirt bike bars, hard luggate, etc.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Great job!
Awesome project! (y)

Any updates?

I'm doing long trips on weekends as well, and am looking for ideas.
Been riding Gixxer 1ks for 20 years, and this is the first season I want to make some changes like helibars, dirt bike bars, hard luggate, etc.
No updates as the project is done. I keep the mounting plate on the bike as I never take a passenger. For now I always keep the smaller Nelson Riggs bag mounted. I haven't gone for an extended ride with the Givi V47 hard case, but I have little doubts about the systems durability. The big Givi V47 on the GSXR certainly isn't pretty, but touring isn't about pretty.

I did do a longer term write up about all of my touring friendly mods. Here is a link to that article.

The next change I am making is to add a Zero Gravity touring windscreen which is on order. All of the mods I have made have been for the purpose of long distance comfort. Fortunately most of the mods also make the bike better overall.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts