Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Im just getting into this and holy damn is it fun. Just got a GT Karakarma (sp?) 4.0 and took it for a few rides on the trails around here.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Old thread, but it caught my attention as I'm an avid mountain biker.
I've been riding for about 16 years, and the last few years I've got back into some xc/enduro racing. It's a truly fun and healthy sport to get into, at any level or age (I'm 40).
I have a well used but maintained '09 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite, a '06 Santacruz VP Free, and a Rocky Mountain Turbo road bike.
I don't have kids, have an understanding wife, and live in the Canadian Rockies, which adds up to me having tons of riding time each season! Through the winter months, I spend a lot of time xc skate skiing at the Nordic Center to keep in shape for the bike, which is hard work, but also lots of fun!

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Glad you revamped this thread! I recently just got into mountain bikes, i use the term "got into" lightly, and its great cardio. I bought a GT Karakoram Elite and love it, my SO bought the GT Zaskar and he loves his also. Have only been on a few local trails and it definitely kicks my butt.

Wish there was a trail area around here that was a little less rocky though, all the rocks (large and small) make this hobby a little daunting. Will keep looking for better trails :punk

·
Nothing but Adrenaline-Fueled Business Ends
25,701 Posts
The 29er wheels should help a ton over rocks! It's just a matter of reading where you want your wheels to track, and guiding them there while not getting bucked off :lol good luck!!

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Nice bikes you guy's have, and yes the 29er's should help. The more riding you do, the less the rocks will bother you. Just stay relaxed, keep your eyes up and looking where you want to go, not staring at the rock you don't want to hit! It gets easier to pick your lines as your experience and fitness grows, and those trails you once found hard will become easy!

It's a challenging sport to get into, and a lot of people are dejected early by the cardio butt kicking, and then the crash or two you inevitably have.....but it's all of this that makes it something I can't live without!!!!:wacko:cheers

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
13,374 Posts
Long story short, I was a competitive downhiller for a few years until a horrific crash about 13 years ago. Broke my femur in 4 places (see the two bulges in the bone). This x-ray was taken a few weeks ago for pre-procedure.

Attachments

·
13,374 Posts
Yesterday (I was too nauseated to get online), that screw in my hip came out. The head of it has been causing me increasing discomfort over the years. 4 weeks of recovery and some damn good pain killers for now. Everything else, the rod and two additional screws in my knee stay forever.

Attachments

·
16,989 Posts
Yesterday (I was too nauseated to get online), that screw in my hip came out. The head of it has been causing me increasing discomfort over the years. 4 weeks of recovery and some damn good pain killers for now. Everything else, the rod and two additional screws in my knee stay forever.
Ouch...:crying
I feel your pain Geek.
I have 6 screws in my knee that I need to have out.
I've been putting it off for the last 2-3 years..

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I know this is a mtn bike thread but I was hoping to get pointed in the right direction for a road bike. Just looking to start exercising on one as the weather is getting warmer around here. I can't spend a whole lot of money (saving that green stuff for track days), so my options are limited already.
Other than getting the right size frame for my height (5'8") what else do I need to look for?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I know this is a mtn bike thread but I was hoping to get pointed in the right direction for a road bike. Just looking to start exercising on one as the weather is getting warmer around here. I can't spend a whole lot of money (saving that green stuff for track days), so my options are limited already.
Other than getting the right size frame for my height (5'8") what else do I need to look for?
A few things to consider.

What kind of terrain will you be riding on mostly? Off-Road? Sidewalks? Construction zones? Etc? This will determine what kind of suspension (if any) you will want for a comfortable ride.

How long will you be riding each time? You may want to invest in either a pair of padded shorts or a more comfortable seat or both. I bought the seat and it made my rides so much more comfortable when you get past the hour mark.

Fatness of tire. The skinnier the tire, the easier it is to pedal but the less able to handle soft terrain.

Pedals. Will you be wearing regular shoes or riding shoes? Will you want foot straps?

I'd also get a good pair of gloves. The added padding helps.

A camelpak/water bottle holder, small tool kit, and small tire pump. You never know when you will need it.

Happy riding.

·
13,374 Posts
If you're not going to race and are just looking for fitness, look at some of the commuter bikes. Still have higher pressure road tires, but not as narrow. Seating position will be more comfortable and the bike will be a bit heavier. It will serve you better and require less maintenance. Cannondale has one called the BadBoy. Easily in for under $1000.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
If you're not going to race and are just looking for fitness, look at some of the commuter bikes. Still have higher pressure road tires, but not as narrow. Seating position will be more comfortable and the bike will be a bit heavier. It will serve you better and require less maintenance. Cannondale has one called the BadBoy. Easily in for under $1000.
That's pretty much what Im after. Don't care for lightweight and I like the idea of a more comfortable seating position. I'll keep checking Craigslist and eBay for bikes like that cannondale.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Long story short, I was a competitive downhiller for a few years until a horrific crash about 13 years ago. Broke my femur in 4 places (see the two bulges in the bone). This x-ray was taken a few weeks ago for pre-procedure.

That's a nasty injury you have there!
I've been lucky over the years, and only have the standard broken collarbone and a few ribs from attempting to use an XC race bike down a 4X track years ago :lmao. Downhilling is awesome when you have the flow and everything is going good, but when you get out of shape you suddenly realise how quick you were going!!!
The modern DH bikes are pretty amazing, not that the older bikes weren't! :punk

·
Nothing but Adrenaline-Fueled Business Ends
25,701 Posts
I haven't heard much bad about bikes direct, I just prefer to find a local shop that I like and support them. Ymmv

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I had a fairly good experience with bikesdirect.com. Went with the dawes lightning DT xiii
I did end up taking the bike to the LBS for a tune up. The rims needed truing and some of the cables ended up having to be trimmed. They lubed up bearings and I picked up a pump and foot straps. got the bike for $300 shipped.

went to nashbar.com for some basic gear. Also a really good experience with that site.
got a helmet, bottle holder, jersey, and some padded shorts shipped for $80.

Already, I have a few routes mapped out. All of them start from my neighborhood, which is convenient. 1 is about 30 minutes, another is about an hour, and I have the option to add 15 mins to both of those if I'm feeling up for a more hills.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been mountain biking for like 3 months and already lost 12kgs. It's a very good exercise. Now I can go up the stairs running without catching my breath.

·
Premium Member
1,085 Posts
Nice I was looking at the new Specialized Allez E5 sport it won bike of the year for under a G for 2015. I know this has been a dead forum but I am going to start riding again I've been running a lot lately and just looking to branch out. Anyone good at Road Bikes?

·
That’s Mister Chalet To You ....
7,742 Posts
Nice to see this thread come back.

This past week, the weather in Mtl was finally nice enough to dust-off my Specialized Hardrock with road tires and start commuting to the office every day. It's only 26kms each way but even at just 1000ish kms of commuting per mth, it's enough to make me morph from my winter fat-ass down to slim, usually by mid-june. It's a frustrating annual cycle for me (MUCH too much beer).

When I'm back in shape, I'll do weekend rides 2-3 times a month. Nothing serious. A 100 mile day is a pretty good for me. My average pace is under 30kph... just amateur stuff but not too bad for an almost 50 yr old beer-guzzling smoker on a mountain bike.

My ex has the Allez. Very nice bike - very light with good mid-range HW. I do her tune-ups on it and have to say it's a LOT of bike for the price.

61 - 80 of 84 Posts
About this Discussion
83 Replies
22 Participants
K5cpt
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing