Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since I am giving up running for my cardio, I am taking up riding a bicycle...I have rode a bicycle plenty but never been serious about times or distances, and am still in decent shape from running 4 miles 3 or 4 times a week

I took it over 6.2 miles of steep and rough terrain across water, etc.. just a few minutes ago and averaged only 9.8 mph. This is on a $50 bicycle (as bad as a roadmaster) with absolutely no suspension, steel frame, crap brakes. ..and I gave it all I had on this ride.

So my first question is.. what is a good average speed for steep terrain on a mountain bike? I intend to buy another mountain bike (a decent one, not a walmart one), as this one I purchased to put a 2 stroke motor on because it has a steel frame that will work great for motorizing. :biggrin

Was actually thinking of pulling the motor back off of my 29er and just swapping it to the steel framed cheap bike.

My second question. I am already saddle sore, but that is to be expected..
What are some good padded biking shorts for a good price? Right now all I have is my underarmor.

Third: I am fairly confident that everything as far as seat height is adjusted properly after reading several bicycle forums about seat height, foot position, etc.. but after this ride my lower back was already hurting quite a bit after the long uphill portions of my ride. I was thinking that maybe I don't have the seat angled properly? Or something else could be at play. Hints, tips that I may have missed?

Finally, I found myself changing gears constantly to stay in what I felt was a considerable constant effort... Should I be changing gears this much or just pedal harder when the going gets tough even though it may wear me down fasster? :dunno

·
Nothing but Adrenaline-Fueled Business Ends
25,701 Posts
Since I am giving up running for my cardio, I am taking up riding a bicycle...I have rode a bicycle plenty but never been serious about times or distances, and am still in decent shape from running 4 miles 3 or 4 times a week

I took it over 6.2 miles of steep and rough terrain across water, etc.. just a few minutes ago and averaged only 9.8 mph. This is on a $50 bicycle (as bad as a roadmaster) with absolutely no suspension, steel frame, crap brakes. ..and I gave it all I had on this ride.

So my first question is.. what is a good average speed for steep terrain on a mountain bike? I intend to buy another mountain bike (a decent one, not a walmart one), as this one I purchased to put a 2 stroke motor on because it has a steel frame that will work great for motorizing. :biggrin
depends on how your lungs and legs feel. there are some trails we go on with an average of 11-13mph, and others where we're lucky to get 6. also depends on the terrain / technicality. right now i'd say we're on the low end of moderate endurance (just getting back into it).

Was actually thinking of pulling the motor back off of my 29er and just swapping it to the steel framed cheap bike.

My second question. I am already saddle sore, but that is to be expected..
What are some good padded biking shorts for a good price? Right now all I have is my underarmor.
entry level biking shorts are around $25-30. special note - don't wear underwear with them :cheers you can put shorts OVER if you're not ok with the full on spandex look, but never anything under.

Third: I am fairly confident that everything as far as seat height is adjusted properly after reading several bicycle forums about seat height, foot position, etc.. but after this ride my lower back was already hurting quite a bit after the long uphill portions of my ride. I was thinking that maybe I don't have the seat angled properly? Or something else could be at play. Hints, tips that I may have missed?
initial guess based on text only, i'd say its your positioning, not necessarily the bike. when climbing, you should come forward a bit on the seat, to put the center of gravity as evenly between the wheels as you can. could also be that you don't use those muscles. :dunno if it persists, try to get to a bike shop for a fitting.

Finally, I found myself changing gears constantly to stay in what I felt was a considerable constant effort... Should I be changing gears this much or just pedal harder when the going gets tough even though it may wear me down fasster? :dunno
if your goal is cardio, then you need to maintain a consistent cadence, meaning you should adjust gears to accommodate changes in terrain so you are pedaling at roughly the same tempo all the time. roadies are huge on cadence. mtb'ers aren't AS big on it, but it is still important.

·
Premium Member
17,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
depends on how your lungs and legs feel. there are some trails we go on with an average of 11-13mph, and others where we're lucky to get 6. also depends on the terrain / technicality. right now i'd say we're on the low end of moderate endurance (just getting back into it).

entry level biking shorts are around $25-30. special note - don't wear underwear with them :cheers you can put shorts OVER if you're not ok with the full on spandex look, but never anything under.

initial guess based on text only, i'd say its your positioning, not necessarily the bike. when climbing, you should come forward a bit on the seat, to put the center of gravity as evenly between the wheels as you can. could also be that you don't use those muscles. :dunno if it persists, try to get to a bike shop for a fitting.

if your goal is cardio, then you need to maintain a consistent cadence, meaning you should adjust gears to accommodate changes in terrain so you are pedaling at roughly the same tempo all the time. roadies are huge on cadence. mtb'ers aren't AS big on it, but it is still important.
:cheers

Thought about getting a road bike.... But it just doesn't seem to be my thing.. I like the challenge and fun of going over some rocks, across a stream, or over a log every now and again. Problem is.. there is only one place close enough to be reasonable for me to ride every day and there aren't a whole heck of a lot of trails there.. so it may get old.

·
Premium Member
17,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Full suspension? Cross country style bike? I used to be all over that shit a few years back.
The 29er has only front suspension. Disc brakes, 29 inch wheels, and is pretty light for being such a large bike. Aluminum frame.

If I don't use that, I will be looking at buying another one.. maybe I can pick up a nice one that has been taken care of for a good price. Full suspension seems like it would be nice with the junk I ride over. I don't think I have ever really rode a full suspension bike other than in a store.

·
No talent eh-hole squid, who stunts in traffic wea
2,574 Posts
The 29er has only front suspension. Disc brakes, 29 inch wheels, and is pretty light for being such a large bike. Aluminum frame.

If I don't use that, I will be looking at buying another one.. maybe I can pick up a nice one that has been taken care of for a good price. Full suspension seems like it would be nice with the junk I ride over. I don't think I have ever really rode a full suspension bike other than in a store.
An entry level, used, full suspension bike would probably run you around 600-750. Check out pinkbike.com if you haven't yet. Always good stuff on there.

A full suspension is better for really rough terrain obviously, as it keeps the tire on the ground. And if you wanna ride it on the road, just slow the rebound so you don't lose a shit ton of momentum as you pedal.

·
25,701 Posts
entry level full squish for 750? not that I've seen.

my entry level hard tail was just over 400.

my bangin ass big girl bike was 1800. hardtail. but she's sooooo purdy.

and a full squish is NOT required for rough terrain. Me and my HT do just fine over rocks, roots, ledges, creek crossings, single track, granite, limestone ... etc.

·
Premium Member
17,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My new bike might be a road bike afterall.

An army friend of mine who competes in triathalons and stuff all the time..recently ran a 26 mile marathon, constantly pushing himself, is taking a little over week to ride his newly acquired road bike from here to Florida to the tone of 60-70 miles per day on back roads. Packing only a couple sets of clothes, C02, a bike pump, patches, and water. I am thinking of getting in shape for this. I want to ride a century first without dying the next day before I even think about joining him though.

Will be flying home.

I have a little over 3 months to prepare. Reachable goal or not?

·
25,701 Posts
Tip for the day - the padded cycling shorts are designed to be worn next to your skin

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
About this Discussion
83 Replies
22 Participants
K5cpt
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing