Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I am going to take out my motor this winter and do complete rebuild, Anyone ever done this? i am going to take it to a 791, and have the head redone and also look into the trans for problems, can anyone give me a general cost of doing this? also were can i send my head to have it redone, i dont wanna mess with the thing, i want to ship it out, have all the valves & springs redone and sent back to me. Can anyone point me in the right direction here? also is it worh haveing the crank done? any help will be very apprechiated, I am going to start gather parts (pistons & Such). What would be really nice if there was a TRUSTWORTHY place i could just send the whole motor to and have it ALL done.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
It is big money but you can do it...

You are looking at like 2500 in parts and labor if you get it at a good price... To give you an idea... It cost me 800 to do my motor and I did all the labor.. This was stock bore and no head work... I did new rings and all new simple bearings... the basic work...

I can rebuild your motor for you and send the part to have what ever you want done to them done... APE is only about 20 min from my work so you would not need to pay shipping to them if I did it..

Also if you what to know if I am any good you can talk to Ratman. I did his motor.. Or Hammer 4 I am one of the few that works on his bike... Also, JohnnyRad has had work done by me. I am sure I could find you more people from other boards if you want more people to ask about me..
Just most people from this board are so far that it is hard to work on there bikes...

Anyhow... if you want more info let me know..

John

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
I am going to use this post to let other know... If you want your motor rebuilt, and labor that wont kill you... And you know it will be put together correct, let me know..

John

·
Banned
6,048 Posts
Originally posted by Jon T. Flesh:
Hey John when ya moving out to Colorado???

jontflesh
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">or vacationing in sunny southwest florida, jus 45 min outside of disneyworld, and less than two miles from infamous clearwater beach (best beachon the gulf of mexico 1997) and three miles from Tampa Bay!!!

seriusly, you guys/gals who live close to john are fortunate to have someone that good, and approachable.......

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Yeah, John gets my thumbs-up!

He did a great job rebuilding my motor! He was really helpful and went out of his way to help me out and he didn't hardly know me. He does excellent work, and will put the same amount of care and dedication that he would put into his own motor.

We just did a simple rebuild on mine because one of the rod bearings had fried. John disassembled the head and cleaned it up really well, even went as far as polishing the intake ports! Then he let me help him rebuild the whole thing, some I got to learn quite a lot about these motors.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Hey Alex.. It was the EX ports that I did.. not the intake.. You do not do that with intakes... It will run like crap if you do..

John

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
yah these motors like rough disturbed flow on the intake, I heard some guy one night at the strip (idjit) sayin that he was going to polish his intake ports and get 10 hp and I said "your motor might run like shit" - he gave me the crooked eye, I guess being an Aerospace Engineer I wouldnt know shit about FLOW

John - I am still looking for a motor but I think I'll have to wait until I sell the JoeyPsychos before I can get it. if I find a fried motor or otherwise, I'd love to fly out and get crackin with ya on it....seriously i'll hit ya up when i get my duckies sorted

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Originally posted by jp233:
yah these motors like rough disturbed flow on the intake, I heard some guy one night at the strip (idjit) sayin that he was going to polish his intake ports and get 10 hp and I said "your motor might run like shit" - he gave me the crooked eye, I guess being an Aerospace Engineer I wouldnt know shit about FLOW

John - I am still looking for a motor but I think I'll have to wait until I sell the JoeyPsychos before I can get it. if I find a fried motor or otherwise, I'd love to fly out and get crackin with ya on it....seriously i'll hit ya up when i get my duckies sorted
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well if you pollish the intake it would make MORE flow, but the problem is you need the roughness to make the air and fuel mix... If it doesnt then it was no good.. and you will LOOSE power from this...

John

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
thats why I said this

Originally posted by GSXR-Freak:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by jp233:
yah these motors like rough disturbed flow on the intake,
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Originally posted by jp233:
thats why I said this

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by GSXR-Freak:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by jp233:
yah these motors like rough disturbed flow on the intake,
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yea i know why you did... I just wanted to let everyone else know..

John

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Originally posted by GSXR-Freak:
Hey Alex.. It was the EX ports that I did.. not the intake.. You do not do that with intakes... It will run like crap if you do..

John
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Whoops, did I say intake?
Sorry, meant exhaust!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey Jon, where abouts are you in Denver?

I'm new to the site, and do the wrenching on my buddies gixxer600 MRA bike.

Let me know if you are going up to the MRA races up in Pueblo the weekend after next.

- Blitz

·
Registered
645 Posts
yeah... this is all too true about intake ports. You'd have to run the fuel from further in the intake process but there's no where but the air box for that, and that wouldn't be effective. So never, never polish those intakes!

Oh ,and for JP233... look up member "TooJayZee" and he may have a 98' Gixxer motor for you. Probably wouldn't ask you much for it. It's a former race motor. I'm taking the FI system setup from it, but you can ask him more about it if you email me later, I'll find out more for you. May need basic over haul, maybe not. The deal might be so good though, that it wouldn't matter. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Where is Santa Clarita? I'd like to have my motor re-done.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Originally posted by lefty:
Where is Santa Clarita? I'd like to have my motor re-done.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Know were Magic Mountain is??
Im about 15 min from there..

John

1 - 17 of 17 Posts