Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...i recently did a 750 swap on my 97 GSXR-600. The motor is a 1997 750 which appears to be very clean. I installed the motor and wiring harness. I also swapped in 97' 750 carbs and put in a manual cam chain tensioner.

Now here are some of my concerns. The carbs were apparently damaged slightly in shipping. One carb suffered a cracked cap and a slightly torn diaphragm, both replaced. The bowls of the carbs were also removed and the carbs appear MINT. Not a slight amount of residue present in any of the bowls.

My other concern is the 600 ECU is in the bike rather than the 750. The 750 ecu is being shipped and should arrive any day.

My problem is this. The bike idles fine, and starts fine. However, when the engine is revved, it wants to die and sounds like its running terrible. There is also a slight rattling noise present which could be my chain vibrating on the swingarm (i left it loose in case the wheel needed to be removed). The motor also has a full micron exhaust (from the 600, not much different then the 750 one though, fits the same) but the carbs are stock for now (just for testing sake). I am really baffled as to what might be wrong. I mean i don't know if the 600 ECU is the problem because i know of someone who has a 97 600 with a 750 motor with 600 carbs, harness, and computer. Could i have gotten a bad motor? I mean it looks to be in great condition, no carbon in the exhaust ports, extremely clean, valves look mint. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Do you have the air box on the bike. If not then thats probally your problem. Done the air box mod to my 96 750 and until I get bigger jets I'm in the same boat. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
wait for the ecu then you will know It does seem like it may as well be the airbox not on right too have you tried to ride it how does it run?

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
This is going to sound lame.... but are you running the motor with the airbox off?? If so that is your problem. The motor is getting way to much air

John

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
actually yeah, i am running it with the airbox off, but i think you are right, as lame as it may sound. I need to get new airbox boots though so i can fit my 600 airbox on.

It just seems really drastic to be the airbox, i mean it idles, but when i rev it, it just runs HORRIBLE. I mean it stalls if you give it too much gas and it backfires out the exhaust.

I will try the airbox though.

[ 02-10-2003, 10:25 AM: Message edited by: jay_9se7en3 ]

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
It is your airbox... If you cover like 75% of the carbs I bet it would run better.. MUCH better.. The motor is getting WAY to much air and making it run lean.. Thus it runs like crap!

John

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah you were definately right. I held the 600 airbox over the tops of the carbs and the motor revved, still didn't run ideal but alot better. I guess i underestimated how fragile the fuel/air delivery system is on these bikes. Granted i do come from the automotive backgrounds of running cars with the air cleaners off the holley or Q-jet to tune them.

One last question...if i am correct..the 97-00 600 airboxes should be the same as the 96-97 750 besides the boots on the bottom. Simply put, i should be able to use my 97 600 airbox and just swap in the 96-97 750 boots right?

·
Registered
39 Posts
one thing to check, spark plugs, and the ignition coil. one of my coils was not snaping on to the spark plug, which caused the bike to run on 3 cyl, and it had a v-twin sound to it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts