Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can motor oil level affect the function?
For example :

My gsxr k7 clutch is slippin a lot! Can it be because oil level? I know I have a little oil lore than I need on it cause I have a leak so I think last time I over filled it.

Can someone help me I'm about to put the bike on fire!

If I do I'll post some pictures!

Thanks!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Possibly infected with Ebola
3,216 Posts
Fix the oil leak:idea. I don't believe the oil level will affect the clutch like you are stating. If it did you would notice fluctuations when oil is low or high, some one will correct me if I'm wrong(which is very possible:lol)

I would start by adjusting the clutch at the lever and clutch cover. Very simple to do. It's in your service manual.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Yes, it can affect the clutch if you overfill the oil. But I don't know how much you overfilled. 1/2 qt. 1 qt. 2 qts over?

Ditto on fixing the leak.

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
Don't overfill the crankcase to compensate for a leak;thats ghetto shit. Fix the leak.
Too much oil is not a good thing. Put too much in and you can start pumping oil out the breather at high rpms

·
3,216 Posts
Yes, it can affect the clutch if you overfill the oil. But I don't know how much you overfilled. 1/2 qt. 1 qt. 2 qts over?

Ditto on fixing the leak.
For my knowledge and learning here, the oil being excessively filled can cause the clutch to slip a lot? I never thought of that because I always keep my oil level where it is supposed to be. I was assuming when he said overfilled that he was just slightly over not the crankcase full:lol

How much extra oil would it need for the clutch to slip a lot?

Learned something new today. Glad I put my disclaimer that I was probably wrong:lol

OP fix the leak.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
My guess is that an extra quart would start to submerge the clutch basket and cause problems. I would think you would start getting crankshaft churning before that.

There was a guy a while back with clutch problems and his oil window was totally full even when the bike was on the side stand. So how overfilled? Who knows.

And of course he never posted up how overfilled it was or if the clutch problem was fixed.

·
3,216 Posts
My guess is that an extra quart would start to submerge the clutch basket and cause problems. I would think you would start getting crankshaft churning before that.

There was a guy a while back with clutch problems and his oil window was totally full even when the bike was on the side stand. So how overfilled? Who knows.

And of course he never posted up how overfilled it was or if the clutch problem was fixed.
Thanks for that! Now I know!:cheers

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry guys, I haven't been able to fix the leak or get the levels right on the bike but yes I know I have to fix the leak but with no time it's hard!

Ok the level is above 1/2 quart.

Hopefully I'll be able to correct the levels and fix the leak this week and I'll let you know how I came out!

Thanks to everyone!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts