Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK..so I finally found out who did the motor work on my racebike. I called Hanshew in Michigan to see if I could get the low down on what work was done prior to my ownership.

I guess the motor is built to "SS" rules. However, due to the increase in compression...the motor should be refreshed every season.....and I should be running race fuel.
These are two expenses that I had not been planning for. The motor runs great now on pump gas
....should switch to race fuel.

It is going to cost me 1500 to have the motor freshened....now being that I am not familiar with motor work and the maintenance....here are my options as I see fit: (remember, I am slow and can't use this motor to its potential)

1) have the motor refreshed and run race fuel
2) run the motor, cross my fingers and replace when it blows
3) buy a used stock motor and sell this one
4) run the motor and if I start to lose performance, have it rebuilt then (and hope I don't blow it)

What do you guys think?

How much can I get a stock motor for?
Anyone want a built 600 motor?

·
Premium Member
4,038 Posts
$1500 to rehone the cylinders, install new rings, and maybe some new bearings?

yikes! There's a speed shop here in Denver that does a lot of work on the racebikes out here that'll probably come in way under that.

FWIW you can get a used motor for $500.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
see fucker!! you shoulda bought my bike!!! just ask that farting dog!!!
Now that's a hobsian choice if ever I heard one: Which would you rather own, a bike that spits you off at least once each track even or one that need a motor rebuilt every season. Hmmm . . . check please.

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
motors are pretty easy to come by, if you dont want to deal with or don't need a kick ass motor, sell it and get a stocker.

either that, or run it on pump gas and just see where it gets you. then make a decision later if it starts to struggle.

or, just run a cheaper race fuel then the U4 or MR series (VP C-12, or something) and deal with it later if it starts to struggle.

have you done a compression check to see where its at???

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
see fucker!! you shoulda bought my bike!!! just ask that farting dog!!!
LOL...all because I wanted a title!
From the sounds, Im still better off.....this one hasn't thrown me off yet.

What do you think a SS motor would sell for on the WERA board?

·
Here is your "R"
6,926 Posts
OK..so I finally found out who did the motor work on my racebike. I called Hanshew in Michigan to see if I could get the low down on what work was done prior to my ownership.

I guess the motor is built to "SS" rules. However, due to the increase in compression...the motor should be refreshed every season....

I call bullshit hes trying to milk more money.:laugh: Why does a motor with higher compression need to be rebuilt? How high is the comp?

I say take it to a dyno have it remapped for regular fuel. Run it till she blows

If he built that motor right with the good ring gaps and proper pistons or if they just milled the head. The motor will last just aslong as stock.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
motors are pretty easy to come by, if you dont want to deal with or don't need a kick ass motor, sell it and get a stocker.

either that, or run it on pump gas and just see where it gets you. then make a decision later if it starts to struggle.

or, just run a cheaper race fuel then the U4 or MR series (VP C-12, or something) and deal with it later if it starts to struggle.

have you done a compression check to see where its at???
No i haven't....I will buy a gage this weekend and check it. I do know that it is supposed to be 14:1.

What type of fuel does that need? Pump gas is bad....unfortunately that is what I have been running.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I guess the motor is built to "SS" rules. However, due to the increase in compression...the motor should be refreshed every season....

I call bullshit hes trying to milk more money.:laugh: Why does a motor with higher compression need to be rebuilt? How high is the comp?

I say take it to a dyno have it remapped for regular fuel. Run it till she blows

If he built that motor right with the good ring gaps and proper pistons or if they just milled the head. The motor will last just aslong as stock.
The bearings are what need replaced and since th valve's have been radiused, they they redone for the valves to seat. I guess the bearings all need plastiguaged (sp) and replaced due to the increased compression.

·
Premium Member
4,038 Posts
Probably, that's a common SS trick to get a little more power. It also dramatically increases wear. We have a guy in the MRA who runs his loose enough that he refreshes the motor halfway through the season. Of course he's also in front, so I can't knock that. I'd probably do the same, if it wasn't such a pain in the ass and I knew I had all of the right tools and shit. When I rebuilt my 600 motor, I used TK Motorsports' shop so it wasn't a big deal.

·
Premium Member
4,723 Posts
I've got a stock 600 motor I'll sell real cheap. And I'm driving distance..

R

·
Premium Member
13,304 Posts

i would just remap it for pump gas and run the damn thing., you will not get much for it., so between shipping it and paying for a used one you will be lucky to break even.. so just run this one., it will be fine ...

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

i would just remap it for pump gas and run the damn thing., you will not get much for it., so between shipping it and paying for a used one you will be lucky to break even.. so just run this one., it will be fine ...
I think I am going to be the first person to pay and have a motor detuned
The motor runs very strong, but does need race fuel and refreshed (just like lean angle said for the blueprinted bearings).

I am going to have a thicker head gasket put on to lower the compression down to near 13:1, so pump gas will be fine, I am also going to have the bearings put back to stock (color coded, not plastigauged), the rings replaced and I will have the valves lapped cylinders honed.

This way i will still have the degreed cams., slightly higher compression, valve job and no need for a future rebuild. The motor will be better than stock, mainenance free and most of all, I know exactly where the motor is at.

I can have all this done for just about the price of a used motor.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts