Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
05 gsxr 1000
Wanting to do a 3mil over bore with 01-04 pistons (76) mm only wanting 01-04 because they have bigger wrist pins (16mm), 01/04 Carrillo h beams, when I look up the rods it says for use with +4mm stroke crank
Do I have to stroke the crank +4mm to be able to do the +3mm over bore?
Any info will help thanks in advance

·
Likes to race old junk.
2,805 Posts
No..."stroke" is completely separate from "bore"
The issue is that the rods that you want to use, are a different length, compared to what you have right now.
So you can send your crank away, get it stroked 4mm and use the big wrist pin rods...or get a set of stock length Carrillo's to use with your 05 crank.
It's a recipe, lots of variables.
I've had Marine Crankshafts stroke a few cranks for me. FYI it's a great way to save a damaged crank, the process for repairing a damaged journal, is not far removed from the welding and machine work required to stroke it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No..."stroke" is completely separate from "bore"
The issue is that the rods that you want to use, are a different length, compared to what you have right now.
So you can send your crank away, get it stroked 4mm and use the big wrist pin rods...or get a set of stock length Carrillo's to use with your 05 crank.
It's a recipe, lots of variables.
I've had Marine Crankshafts stroke a few cranks for me. FYI it's a great way to save a damaged crank, the process for repairing a damaged journal, is not far removed from the welding and machine work required to stroke it.
Okay thanks the rods I had picked out were 76mm and 111mm stock length but I’m leaning towards doing the 3mil bore and 4mil stroke should I look at a different length rod since I’m wanting to stroke the crank 4 mil, also wanting to go thin head gasket what thickness should I use

·
Likes to race old junk.
2,805 Posts
If you go down this path...the correct way is to do a "dry build" and measure piston to valve clearances, that will determine your gasket thicknesses. Cometic can make whatever you need.
You have to run shorter rods, when you stroke a crank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.