Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
funkyvibes788 said:
DOES ANY ONE KNOW WHY MOTO GP IS ONLY ALLOWING UP TO 800CC RATHER THAN 990CC IN 2007?:scratch
Yes power output merely and the associatedsafety issues. Why do you think the F1 has also restrictions on power output.

These machines make an incredible amount of power ...

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,133 Posts
TWISTED METAL said:
and the rubbber doesn't keep up with the power put to the ground....
...and they are getting too fast for the tracks - or rather the run-off areas. Very few tracks apart from the ones used in ths season are actually approved for MotoGP because of that.

·
Registered
539 Posts
SUZUKI-GS500 said:
Safety bro. Them 990 is getting too fast
Yes and the strange thing is the Ducati 800 has already lapped almost as fast as the current 990 in early testing and people in the paddock are predicting lap times will be even quicker, because of the possibility of higher corner speeds.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
SVS said:
...and they are getting too fast for the tracks - or rather the run-off areas. Very few tracks apart from the ones used in ths season are actually approved for MotoGP because of that.
+1 The track owners can't afford to keep upgrading the tracks every couple years to keep up with the machines.

·
Registered
650 Posts
graeme said:
Yes and the strange thing is the Ducati 800 has already lapped almost as fast as the current 990 in early testing and people in the paddock are predicting lap times will be even quicker, because of the possibility of higher corner speeds.
that doesn't suprise me. Honda engineers have said they could have made the RC211V faster, but there wasn't any point. I know the ducati engineers made the desmo as fast as they could have, and then tried to neuter it with "electronics." I think the lap times with the 800's will be just as fast (if not faster) than the 990's, but that'll be all they'll be able to get out of those motors. Whereas if they stayed 990, the bikes could have gone DANGEROUSLY faster.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
graeme said:

I was wondering that myself. I think the only thing that is going to happen with the decrease in CC's is that the engineers are just going to find a way to get 230-240hp from an 800cc motor instead of a 990 one.

lol

·
Registered
539 Posts
SPL170db said:
I was wondering that myself. I think the only thing that is going to happen with the decrease in CC's is that the engineers are just going to find a way to get 230-240hp from an 800cc motor instead of a 990 one.

lol
Exactly How mant times has that happened in motorsport,bikes or cars.They banned Group B World rally cars in 86 because of one or two serious accidents it wasnt too long before the cars were beating the previous stage times.

Rule books in racing are a red rag to an engineers bull.

·
Registered
184 Posts
SPL170db said:
Yeah, RPM's will be through the roof.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.