Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little less than a month ago I picked up a new Mossberg 500 Persuader/Cruiser PGO and ever since I fired it the first day, I've been having a problem with it. Around the third or fourth round, it becomes extremely hard to eject the spent shell, to the point that I have to switch to my right hand to pump it. From what I have researched online, people have been saying that the extractors and the springs are the problem and I would need to replace them. The problem I have with that is the gun is less than a month old and has only had 300 rounds or so through it, there is no way they would need to be replaced. On a Remington 870 forum that was in the search, they said that the problem was the aluminum on the spent shell that heats up and expands in the chamber, which sounds more like the problem. I shoot the Winchester Universal stuff from walmart, haven't tried anything else yet because I wanted to get some input from people here first.
I have called Mossberg and they want me to ship the gun to them so they can fix it, but they wouldn't tell me what the problem could possibly be, and shipping to them is not an option right now.
Sorry for the long post and thank you to anyone that can help or give me some ideas.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
That's surprising...I know a number of people that own 500's who have never had issues. As mentioned above....try with different ammo first.

·
Premium Member
18,076 Posts
different ammo first.

The cheap as hell stuff is all over the place. There is probably nothing wrong with the gun. IF there is you will see it using the other ammo. Then ship it back

Fn has guns shipped back all the time for "feed" problems. ya jackass buy the cheapest shit you can find and it fucks up. go figure :rolleyes

·
PM me for Brotection
57,513 Posts
You could also read up on chamber honing/polishing.

That's what seems to be the issue with cheap shells in my 870. I've had the same issue, even with high brass buckshot. The rough chamber seems to be the culprit, so I'm in the process of polishing it now.

·
The Dreaded Midnight Taint Slapper
17,898 Posts
mine goes bang every time, and the action is smooth as butter... :dunno

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
Never had an issue with mine but the suggestions so far seem on point

Have not tried to use it to break locks............. yet...... though :crazy

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You could also read up on chamber honing/polishing.

That's what seems to be the issue with cheap shells in my 870. I've had the same issue, even with high brass buckshot. The rough chamber seems to be the culprit, so I'm in the process of polishing it now.
I read up on that too and I'll probably do that next week. Are you using a flex hone or a dowel with steel wool?

Have not tried to use it to break locks............. yet...... though :crazy
haha

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
I had this happen to my 870 when I first bought it. It took me forever to figure out but strip it completely and give it a very through cleaning. That WILL fix it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts