Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
The cutoff line looks really good.

Aside from the fact that both lights are HIDs now....do the 2 lights function the same as stock? In other words, both lights come on when bike starts, bixenon high beam functions using same high-beam switch, flash-to-pass functions the same?

I've heard of some people that install a delay(or toggle switch) so that the HID lights only ignite AFTER the bike is running. Something to do with the HIDs being a bit taxing on the R/R if igniting at same time bike is starting up.

When you get a chance....take her outside and take some night pics. Would love to see the light output on the street etc.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The cutoff line looks really good.

Aside from the fact that both lights are HIDs now....do the 2 lights function the same as stock? In other words, both lights come on when bike starts, bixenon high beam functions using same high-beam switch, flash-to-pass functions the same?

I've heard of some people that install a delay(or toggle switch) so that the HID lights only ignite AFTER the bike is running. Something to do with the HIDs being a bit taxing on the R/R if igniting at same time bike is starting up.
Everything works like it should, they both fire up when bike is started. High beam and flash to pass work as it should.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Everything works like it should, they both fire up when bike is started. High beam and flash to pass work as it should.

That's great to hear. The harnesses were all "plug and play", correct? You didn't have to do any additional wiring?

Going to order the single D2S BiXenon kit on thursday...and a pair of the Morimoto X8 angel eyes. I saw a TRS video of them being install INSIDE the shroud, but I believe they can be installed on the outside of the shroud. I'll have to confirm that before I order them though.

Going to give the H7 LED bulb a try on the lower housing. If that looks like crap...I'll be ordering an HID PnP ballast/bulb.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Ok, I messed around some more with the shield location, Found the best place that matches the top mini ds2 projector.

This is stock OEM projector housing with aftermarket FX-R lens. With the proper bulb spacing,shield location and lens spacing, I think it looks pretty good. Cutoff is nice and crisp.

If I read correctly, did you say the mini ds2 projector was a direct fit in the upper part (where the h7 is originally I believe) of the headlight? And did you make a custom shield for just the lower OEM projector with FX-r lens or was it necessary to make one for the D2S as well?

I'd really like to get HIDs in mine sooner or later and am willing to take on a retrofit when winter and money comes around..

Thx! And everything looks sweet btw

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
24 Posts
If I read correctly, did you say the mini ds2 projector was a direct fit in the upper part (where the h7 is originally I believe) of the headlight? And did you make a custom shield for just the lower OEM projector with FX-r lens or was it necessary to make one for the D2S as well?

I'd really like to get HIDs in mine sooner or later and am willing to take on a retrofit when winter and money comes around..

Thx! And everything looks sweet btw

The mini ds2 is a direct fit into the upper H4 hole. I made a custom shield just for the lower part (H4) and added a FX-R lens. I didn't have to do anything to.the mini ds2 other then install it.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Have you tested the D2S hgh beam out out yet? Just want to make sure it's not affected by the V-shaped point on the fairing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Have you tested the D2S hgh beam out out yet? Just want to make sure it's not affected by the V-shaped point on the fairing.
Haven't sealed the housing back together yet. So I have no ideal. But from what one of the other members said it should be unaffected. Waiting to receive ds2 bulb, harness and h7 adapter before sealing it back up.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Ordered the Sportbike Stage I kit this morning from TRS.

I chose the "Iris" shroud because it seems less bulky and should be easier to fit within the reflector.

·
Dick/Vagina Embracer
2,945 Posts
Not a GSX-R, but I did the Apollo 2.0 shroud in my FZ-09

·
Dick/Vagina Embracer
2,945 Posts
Mini D2S 2.0 Projector, 5000K bulb, Apollo 2.0 shroud.

I love the setup. Great lines, and much better than the stock FZ-09 bulb.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I'm not looking forward to the hassle of pulling my front headlight housing...and doing the retrofit......but I'm def pumped to see the end result.

Just have to figure out what bulb(probably LED) to out in the lower H7 projector. I just want the lower bulb lit "for looks" at the very least. I'm dont want to spend the money on retrofitting the lower hole.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
I'm not looking forward to the hassle of pulling my front headlight housing...and doing the retrofit......but I'm def pumped to see the end result.

Just have to figure out what bulb(probably LED) to out in the lower H7 projector. I just want the lower bulb lit "for looks" at the very least. I'm dont want to spend the money on retrofitting the lower hole.

Like this idea, make a journal ! The more pics the merrier :)

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Going to paint the inside of the reflector housing BLACK.

Aside from cleaning the reflector with alcohol.....is there any other prep needed?

Safe to assume that I should use some sort of heat resistant paint(i.e. barbecue grill paint)?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Going to paint the inside of the reflector housing BLACK.

Aside from cleaning the reflector with alcohol.....is there any other prep needed?

Safe to assume that I should use some sort of heat resistant paint(i.e. barbecue grill paint)?
I just used engine paint out of a rattle can, good to 500 degrees. Clean surface and paint, light even coats.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Got the rest of my parts in the past day or two. So i got everything back together. Here are a few pics, Pictures dont do it justice. The light output is incredible.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
HID kit arrived earlier than expected...so I got started right away.

Pulled headlight assembly off the bike and disassembled it.

Trimmed down this piece.

Reflector painted black(now drying)

Ghetto-fabulous mod on the lower halogen projector. (covered the squirrel finder holes with soda can aluminum)

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #60 (Edited)
A quick mock-up:

I hooked up a 9v battery(i.e. smoke detector battery) to test the high beam solenoid. TRS posted a YouTube video and mentioned that the solenoid should be actuated 30-40 times(using the 9v battery) to make sure that it's functioning properly BEFORE sealing the headlight back up.

One big side note:
The H4 alignment ring recesses

are NOT oriented perfectly vertical. They are located at around the "12:30" position. So when you put the projector in the housing and slide the metal alignment ring on from the back...the projector cutoff line isn't perfectly horizontal. I have no idea why this is designed this way.

I ground off the small tab(on the inside of the metal ring)...so I can rotate the projector to the 12 o'clock position.

Next step: Mount the headlight assembly on the bike and run the light. Going to make sure cutoff line is level. Then I'll mark the alignment...so when I do a final tightening of the rear nuts/collars I can be sure that the projector orientation didn't change.

Once all of that is done....I'll be making sure that all dust etc has been cleaned from the housing, projector lenses/bodies, etc.

When I'm sure that all is correct.....I'll re-bake the headlight housing halves(to soften up the rubber gasket goo) and reassemble.

The process so far hasn't been rocket science, but it does involve a bit of patience. One big mistake I made was grinding the back mounting boss in the same room as the projector. Plastic dust got everywhere, so I spent a bit of time removing it from the projector and lenses.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts