Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm not willing to hack up my housing just yet. Although I do have a donor headlight, all I would have to do is order another projector and hid kit. I'm gonna give the lens a try tonight and tinker with constructing a shield that will work better. If it doesn't work out I'll just make do with what I have for now.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
I'm not willing to hack up my housing just yet. Although I do have a donor headlight, all I would have to do is order another projector and hid kit. I'm gonna give the lens a try tonight and tinker with constructing a shield that will work better. If it doesn't work out I'll just make do with what I have for now.
Make sure to take a bunch of pics throughout the rest of your process....please.

I've been scouring the web for '04-05 retrofit projects...and have not found many, but some of the ones I have found have given me some decent ideas.

In one of them, the guy left the lower OEM halogen alone(but put a better quality "white" halogen bulb in it).....and a xenon projector(not BiXenon) in the top hole. With that setup, when the bike is started...the low beam halogen comes on as it always does...then the high switch is hit to activate the upper HID projector.

Problem with that setup is that the guy has no high beams or ability to use the "flash-to-pass" feature. Personally I don't care if I lose that feature, but I think I won't lose it with the biXenon projector.

That retrofit did make me lean even farther toward the notion of...retrofitting the Morimoto BiXenon projector in the upper(H4) and leaving the halogen projector stock(and functioning) though.

If that ends up being the case, I'll have to figure out which projector(6.0 or D2S) will fit/work better. I going to assume that the projector that protrudes farther out toward the front of the OEM clear acrylic headlight cover will work better when using the "high beams"....because it would be less likely to be obstructed by the V-shaped front fairing. But maybe I'll be lucky and find out that neither of the projector choices will have any issues with the high beam.

Whether I would actually run the halogen(at the same time the HIDs were on) would all depend on how the lights look running at the same time. Going to reserve judgement on that subject until I see what Blackxds's setup looks like when he gets it lit up.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Just came across this thread.
http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134318&highlight=hid+retro

It shows exactly what I was expecting to do when I started planning my retrofit. Looks like the guy simply modded the existing cutoff shield within the halogen projector.

Stock unit "before modding" (pic is from retrofit thread mentioned above). I have no idea what function that OEM "tab" within the housing does. Anyone?

Stock housing after he modded it: I can't figure out what that small rectangle area is...it looks "see thru".

Back view of the cutoff line mod. I can't tell what he did/used here.

I'm not sure what he used, but essentially he blocked off the 2 little square openings and made the horizontal cutoff surface into the typically HID cutoff shape.

I did this same mod years ago when I retro fit HIDs into my Mitsubishi Eclipse. I just opened up the OEM headlight housing cleaned up the existing halogen cutoff line. I didn't however replace the OEM halogen lens. Upgrading to a better lens(as Blackxds is doing) is probably a much better option than using the stock lens.

Using the above retrofit method....I have 2 options:

Buy a simple plug-n-play HID kit(bulb and ballast)and a lens. I'd end up with a HID(only low beam) in the bottom hole and OEM halogen bulb in top hole for high beam and "flash to pass".

OR

Dual HID projector setup

In which, I'd use a plug-n-play system(and lens) for the bottom...AND mount a BiXenon projector in the top hole. If I'm not mistaken, the only thing I'd lose is the "flash to pass" feature.

I'm thinking that the Dual HID would def look better(aesthetically and there will be no "yellow tint" that halogens tend to have) and certainly put out a shit-ton of light!

·
Registered
433 Posts
(Very old pic) All I did was slap in 2 55 watt hid ballast in mine. A D2S bulb in the bottom factory projector and retrofitted a projector off of an Audi A6 on the top part running the second D2S bulb both at 8000K temp. Needless to say I have thee most light output out of all my friends bikes (and some cars on the road as well) :punk

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Kingfabian: I def saw ur thread during my research(i may have PMd you).

Too bad that the OP of the thread I mentioned above isn't active here....would love to know what he did/used to mod the OEM halogen housing.

·
Registered
433 Posts
You can just cut the square part off with a dremel and cover the 2 squares with a piece of soda can and epoxy or high temp silicone. Personally I wouldn't bother too much "modifying" the stock projector on our bikes. They were never meant for HID bulbs. It be easier to just swap that projector for one that actually was meant for HID. Im not sure if Acura TSX or Honda S2000 projector would be a direct fit but I think its close and those are both very good HID projectors.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
You can just cut the square part off with a dremel and cover the 2 squares with a piece of soda can and epoxy or high temp silicone. Personally I wouldn't bother too much "modifying" the stock projector on our bikes. They were never meant for HID bulbs. It be easier to just swap that projector for one that actually was meant for HID. Im not sure if Acura TSX or Honda S2000 projector would be a direct fit but I think its close and those are both very good HID projectors.
My Eclipse lights came out great using the modded halogen housing. The cutoff line was sharp/clean. But if def agree that HID bulbs in a proper HID projector is the best choice.

I haven't seen personally seen an '04 apart...so I don't know exactly what's going on in there(other than the pics I've seen). If there was a way to simply bolt on a new projector to the lower hole...I'd be all over it.

As it stands now, it looks like the upper hole will be easy(simply bolt in new HID projector). The lower hole is another story.

In the Dual HID setup that I'm contemplating...the lower HID(in halogen projector) output won't be that important. I can always adjust its output so it's a tad below the cutoff line of the upper HID projector cutoff line.

The lower hole will def brighten the road, but it'll be lit more for aesthetics than functionality. The upper Morimoto projector should/will be doing the heavy lifting.

·
Registered
24 Posts
After reading numerous car forums about projectors and cutoff shield mods and etc. i decided to try something. I built this little shield as a mock up to see what happens.(Still waiting for lens from TRS, USPS lost them). I'm not saying this is gonna work until i get the clear lens but you can def see a cut off line when added to the lower projector with a hid bulb. Here's what i did.

Here you wanna find the center of the projector vertical and horizontal.

You end up with something like this, Keep the screw hole slotted so you can adjust up or down to match the top projector.

This is what it should look like so far.

This is looking through the back where your bulb will be.

This is just for mock-up and testing. i will most likely use thicker steel or aluminum.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
I don't meant to self promote, but here's what I did on my retro:

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263082&highlight=fx+r

The high beam on top projector is unaffected by the V-shape cover. The bi-xenon will be functional regardless of which position it's placed in our headlight housing.

The cut off shield affects the output by means of optical focus/positioning in reference to light source/HID bulb. The thickness of shield is rather irrelevant, but placement is.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I don't meant to self promote, but here's what I did on my retro:

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263082&highlight=fx+r

The high beam on top projector is unaffected by the V-shape cover. The bi-xenon will be functional regardless of which position it's placed in our headlight housing.

The cut off shield affects the output by means of optical focus/positioning in reference to light source/HID bulb. The thickness of shield is rather irrelevant, but placement is.
I seen your thread, love the output and looks of the set-up. I'm just not willing to chop up my housing and structure just yet. Gonna continue on the path i'm on. You did a badass retro, just not to that point yet. Wish i seen your thread earlier before i ordered the stuff i did.

·
Registered
24 Posts
[/QUOTE]The cut off shield affects the output by means of optical focus/positioning in reference to light source/HID bulb. The thickness of shield is rather irrelevant, but placement is.[/QUOTE]

Where should the cutoff shield be placed in the OEM H7 housing? Where the OEM one was with the squares or closer to the bulb like the real projectors? Hard to tell until i receive the clear lenses, Whether it needs to be closer or further away from the hid bulb.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Blackxds:
Are you going to put a "squirrel finder' slot in your cutoff plate? The 2 square holes that were inside your housing were examples of "squirrel finders". They allowed some stray light to escape upward in the light output.

It allows just a bit of light to leak over the cutoff line to illuminate road signs...and of course, squirrels(animals in general) on the side of the roadway.

From what I've read....people's obsession over having a super crisp cutoff line, is an OCD thing rather than a functionality issue.

A bit of light is SUPPOSED to leak over the cutoff line to increase overall visibility while driving.

Just food for thought....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Blackxds:
Are you going to put a "squirrel finder' slot in your cutoff plate? The 2 square holes that were inside your housing were examples of "squirrel finders". They allowed some stray light to escape upward in the light output.

It allows just a bit of light to leak over the cutoff line to illuminate road signs...and of course, squirrels(animals in general) on the side of the roadway.

From what I've read....people's obsession over having a super crisp cutoff line, is an OCD thing rather than a functionality issue.

A bit of light is SUPPOSED to leak over the cutoff line to increase overall visibility while driving.

Just food for thought....
Most likely not gonna put the "squirrel finder" back. Those squares with a hid bulb make the output look like crap. I'm gonna continue the way I'm going and try a few things before I put the housing back together.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
I had to sand down the flange where the H4 bulb use to seat, now the projector is nice and tight.
In one of your posts you mentioned that the D2S simply bolted right in....but here you mentioned having to sand it. What part of the projector wasn't fitting well?

What lens set did you buy to replace the lower OEM lens?
What HID ballast/bulb kit are you using in the lower hole?

·
Registered
24 Posts
In one of your posts you mentioned that the D2S simply bolted right in....but here you mentioned having to sand it. What part of the projector wasn't fitting well?

What lens set did you buy to replace the lower OEM lens?
What HID ballast/bulb kit are you using in the lower hole?
I had to sand the back of the oem reflector, I couldn't get that big nut to sit flush to the reflector. Another problem I ran into there wasn't enough threads on the projector to get the circle nut tight to hold the bulb in. So I just sanded it all down until it was completely flat, problem solved.

I bought the 2.5" FX-R lens set, I have a DDM tuning 6000K for the lower as of now. But I want to eventually go to a ds2 5000k just like the top projector.

Not sure if they make a adapter that goes H7 to ds2?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
I'm now considering going with a slightly different setup now.

Since a single BiXenon projector will put out plenty of light....I'm now thinking about doing the D2S BiXenon in the top hole. And simply pluggin an H7 LED bulb into the existing halogen projector.

The LED will light up the bottom projector to "look good"....and the top BiXenon will take care of lighting up the road. This kind of setup will also save me a fair amount of money/trouble.

Blackxds: what did you use to sand down the back of the reflector? I don't have a belt sander....and would worry that I wouldn't sand it down evenly.

Btw: there are H7 to D2S adapter plates available on eBay.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Here's a few pics of the retrofit so far. Still have to tinker with placement of shield in the H7 projector to get nice crisp line. Cant't do anymore testing until i get a new kit. (Cheap DDM hid kit decided to stop working, Now i gotta order H7 HID from TRS).

This is the lower H7 ddm tuning 6000k with aftermarket lens

This is the mini Ds2 with 5000k

Here's both of them lit up, still have to position the shield to correct orientation.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm now considering going with a slightly different setup now.

Since a single BiXenon projector will put out plenty of light....I'm now thinking about doing the D2S BiXenon in the top hole. And simply pluggin an H7 LED bulb into the existing halogen projector.

The LED will light up the bottom projector to "look good"....and the top BiXenon will take care of lighting up the road. This kind of setup will also save me a fair amount of money/trouble.

Blackxds: what did you use to sand down the back of the reflector? I don't have a belt sander....and would worry that I wouldn't sand it down evenly.

Btw: there are H7 to D2S adapter plates available on eBay.
I used a 4.5'' flap sanding disc that goes on a 4.5'' grinder.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ok, I messed around some more with the shield location, Found the best place that matches the top mini ds2 projector.

This is stock OEM projector housing with aftermarket FX-R lens. With the proper bulb spacing,shield location and lens spacing, I think it looks pretty good. Cutoff is nice and crisp.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts