Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been doing a crapload of reading on HID retrofits, but I haven't found much at all on any done on 04/05 models.

I want to retrofit a Morimoto H1 BiXenon projector in my OEM headlight housing.

Has anyone done this? I'm curious to know how well the projector fits....and if any serious hacking will need to be done to the stock reflector to make it work.

One thread I read mentioned that any/all Morimoto shrouds will NOT fit in the reflector without modding the reflector....but never mentioned what actually needed to be done.

Secondly...is it safe to assume that going with a 55w HID setup(vs a 35w) is the way to go since the stock output is 55w for the OEM halogens?

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Been doing a crapload of reading on HID retrofits, but I haven't found much at all on any done on 04/05 models.

I want to retrofit a Morimoto H1 BiXenon projector in my OEM headlight housing.

Has anyone done this? I'm curious to know how well the projector fits....and if any serious hacking will need to be done to the stock reflector to make it work.

One thread I read mentioned that any/all Morimoto shrouds will NOT fit in the reflector without modding the reflector....but never mentioned what actually needed to be done.

Secondly...is it safe to assume that going with a 55w HID setup(vs a 35w) is the way to go since the stock output is 55w for the OEM halogens?
well I'm definitely not the best person to be answering any of these questions as I've doing some reading over HIDs and am somewhat confused..

I have heard that 55w's run noticeably hotter and could possibly melt your headlight plastic. The 55w's will produce more lumens, but the life expectancy of your bulb will also reduce. I've also read that there will be more strain on your electrical when starting the bike with the 55w's compared to the 35w's. From what I've gathered, 35w's are more than enough and that's what I plan on getting when money allows. Just my 2 cents!

I want to throw an HID (h4 in lower and h7 in higher, I believe) and have the upper light (light in the reflector, above the projector) only on when my high beams are on. This way I can avoid doing a retrofit for the upper lamp as i've heard they can cost 200-300$..

I wish I knew more about retrofits :dunno

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
If my info is correct, the H1 mini is a perfect fit for an H4 bulb opening. Problem is that the H4 bulb on the '04 is the upper bulb. That area is partially obscured by the V-shaped point on the front of the fairing....or at least it sure looks like it is. Maybe the projector would sit forward enough in the headlight assembly that it wouldn't be affected by the bodywork, but that's only a guess.

And if I mount the Morimoto in the upper hole...I'll end up with 2 projectors in the headlight housing(the lower projector wouldn't be used and/or operable).

The OEM low beam projector housing hole is approx 2.5" so I'm guessing that the Morimoto mini H1 lens would fit in there...but I don't know if it's possible to make it fit the H7 opening. I'd like to be able to aim the projector with the existing adjustment knobs if at all possible.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone know what other model years used the same size halogen projector as the one in my '04?

I've seen a decent amount of threads on '06 and newer retrofits....if Ican confirm that the projectors in those bikes are the same size as mine, it would be a big help.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm actually in the middle of a retrofit on my 05. I ended up using a mini ds2 bi-xenon from TRS. Specifically made for motorcycles. I did quite a bit of work on the housing and tons of tinkering. I had HIDS in the top and bottom and wasnt really happy with the output. Bought a donor headlight off a wrecked bike and started to experiment. First off the bottom projector had weird squares and lines when the hid bulb was lit. So from the donor headlight i decided to look at what was causing the squares and etc.
[/URL][/IMG]. So i went to the local hardware store to get a high speed rotary file and started file the little shroud on the headlight.
[/URL][/IMG]. After i filed the shroud on the bottom and the square flange on the top. I put the projector lense and light housing back together and inserted the hid to give a test run. The light output was terrible. If you look at the oem lense compared to the TRS lense the oem has swirls and is foggy. So then i decided to order a lense set from TRS in 2.5'' that will fit in the existing oem projector place. As of now here is the progress. Waiting for parts still.
[/URL][/IMG] Only difference between pics is i decided to paint the lense retainer ring.
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
TRS suggested the D2S setup, but I'm guessing that the H1 6.0 mini is going to be the ticket.
I DON'T want to have to hack up my oem housing to make the HID setup work. I'm hoping that the 6.0 projector will slide into the oem halogen opening.

I don't want(and don't think I need) a dual HID setup. The bi-xenon projector will provide low and high beams...and I'll just cap off(if possible) the oem upper bulb hole and paint the interior of the reflector black.

I'm waiting to hear back from Andrew at TRS...to see what he has to say about my setup.(I sent him pics of my oem housing).

Blackxds: did u try to use the existing oem halogen projector with an HID bulb? If so, that was the problem.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I can tell you your gonna have problems with the 6.0 projector. The length of the 6.0 is approx. 1/2" to 5/8" longer then the mini ds2 that I have. My current projector is gonna be real tight to the front lense part of the headlight. (Might even have to cut the little bump that goes inside towards the headlight). Yeah I have tried the hid's in the stock reflector. It just really scattered the light no main focus. Same concept when people put hids in their cars without projectors. It just blinds everybody and throws the light all over.

·
Registered
24 Posts
TRS suggested the D2S setup, but I'm guessing that the H1 6.0 mini is going to be the ticket.
I DON'T want to have to hack up my oem housing to make the HID setup work. I'm hoping that the 6.0 projector will slide into the oem halogen opening.

I don't want(and don't think I need) a dual HID setup. The bi-xenon projector will provide low and high beams...and I'll just cap off(if possible) the oem upper bulb hole and paint the interior of the reflector black.

I'm waiting to hear back from Andrew at TRS...to see what he has to say about my setup.(I sent him pics of my oem housing).

Blackxds: did u try to use the existing oem halogen projector with an HID bulb? If so, that was the problem.
I didn't have to hack up my housing with the mini ds2. It just slides into the existing bulb hole and locks in with a nut. The rest of the harness for the ds2 is plug and play.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't have to hack up my housing with the mini ds2. It just slides into the existing bulb hole and locks in with a nut. The rest of the harness for the ds2 is plug and play.
The D2S slid into the UPPER high beam hole? Or did it slide into the lower hole where the halogen projector lens was located?

I'm also curious to know if a projector in the upper hole(H4) would be obstructed by the v-shaped point of the front fairing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The mini ds2 went into the top hole. (H4) bulb hole. As for the lower I bought TRS lenses to replace the oem (H7) lower. The V on the plastic looks like it may interfere, but the cut off on the projector is so crisp it's gonna be just below the V. The biggest concern is high beam functionally.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had to sand down the flange where the H4 bulb use to seat, now the projector is nice and tight.

This is the front part of the headlight. Any larger of a projector and it would hit the bump.

Here's a mock up of finished look.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You bought just a lens for the lower H7 housing? Or did you buy a compete projector to slide right into the OEM projector assembly?
I bought just the lense set for the lower H7, tsx-r 2.5'' set. That's where the filing came into play. Most projectors have no restrictions within their housing. So when the lenses arrive (tomorrow) i will test with the new clear lens. If it works out, I will have a extra lens to sell (had to buy a set).

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I bought just the lense set for the lower H7, tsx-r 2.5'' set. That's where the filing came into play. Most projectors have no restrictions within their housing. So when the lenses arrive (tomorrow) i will test with the new clear lens.
I guess I'm not understanding.

I thought you bought 2 complete HID projectors(one for the upper and one for the lower)...and pulled out the OEM halogen projector and simply were going to slid the new HID projector into the housing where the halogen unit was.

From what I've read...the rear threaded mount of the D2S projector will be too large to fit in an H7 hole(the bottom OEM hole), but the H1 6.0 is smaller and comes with adapter plates so it will bolt right into the H7.

The info I'm trying to ascertain is IF the 6.0 will slide into the OEM Halogen bottom shroud opening. Shown in ur pic below

·
Registered
24 Posts

This is the whole assembly for the lower H7 part. There is no way to fit a projector into the H7 projector housing. To your question the 6.0 will not fit into the lower part. That's why I bought lens for the bottom H7. Make sense?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Ok...that helps me visualize what's inside my headlight assembly.

With your setup will the lower projector just be an HID light bulb inside the OEM H7 bracketed mount....with a new HID lens? I'm not sure I understand how this will work without a cutoff shield inside the hollowed out OEM halogen housing.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
OMG. You've shaved off the cut off shield. You will not only be blinding the oncoming traffic, but also airplanes and UFO's! :lmao

On a serious note, that housing is ruined and you should really consider retrofitting another proper projector in place of the stock one.

And regarding the V-shaped covering, the projector naturally reverses the light output upside down to only cast light through the lower half of the lens. (I hope that made sense.) So you don't have to be concerned.

What you should be concerned is mating of unmatched TSX projector lens to OEM bowl/housing. Since they're not engineered to work with each other, light spread/pattern will be off. To maximize the use of TSX projector lens, you should pair it with an appropriate housing.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Btw, I'm running 55w on both of my projectors and have not encountered melting or any other trouble. The key is to use quality bulbs and ballasts. Retrofitsource.com has awesome budget set ups like Morimoto.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ok...that helps me visualize what's inside my headlight assembly.

With your setup will the lower projector just be an HID light bulb inside the OEM H7 bracketed mount....with a new HID lens? I'm not sure I understand how this will work without a cutoff shield inside the hollowed out OEM halogen housing. If I'm not happy with the oem cutoff , I'll do a custom shield mod.
Yes, it will be a hid light bulb in the stock mount. With a new clear lens. I'll take pics tonight once the new lens arrive with and without the cutoff shield. I know the oem cutoff shield is horrible with the squares it projects. Might have to build a custom shield.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
And regarding the V-shaped covering, the projector naturally reverses the light output upside down to only cast light through the lower half of the lens. (I hope that made sense.) So you don't have to be concerned.
That's good news. Do you think that the V-shape covering will affect the high beam light output of the Bi-Xenon projector?

I'm guessing that the only way to retrofit an HID into the lower hole...would be to hack the halogen bracket and bolt and/or JB weld the new projector onto the bracket assembly.

I wish I had a donor headlight assembly to tinker with. It would make it easier to experiment with diff configurations. I def don't want to hack up my OEM housing unnecessarily/permanently....and have my bike unusable for days on end while I sort it all out.

Although, as long as the V-shaped piece truly isn't going to inferere with light output....I may just simply install the projector(H1 6.0 w/adapter plate... or D2S) in the upper hole(with no hacking at all), and call it a day. And leave the bottom halogen projector in the housing "just for looks".

1 - 20 of 75 Posts