Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After riding here in fog this morning....

Fog sucks
Avoid riding in it, unless you wife has taken your car becuase her son wanted to borrow her jeep......

OK - if you find yourself in fog.

1) Slow down
2) use the BACK of you glove to wipe your shield every so often - unlike rain the moisture does not build up and run away.
3) Slow down (did I mention this)
4) High beam sucks in the fog, keep it dipped.
5) Slow down even more.

thats about it - use the back of your glove to wipe your visor because then your palms are not wet, and slippy....

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
This kind of information is also important when riding in rain. I had to ride up to Pocono last year in the rain. It was my first real experience with rain on my bike. We just had to remember to keep it slow, take turns slow, and every so often wipe visor with back of glove or turn head side to side to let rain slide off visor.

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
fog

its even worse when its patchy. going along in this shit they call fog, then you get a glimpse of whats ahead cuz you hit a clear spot and then bamm you cant fuggin see again

for an experiment get a patch or something in your hand and constantly put it over an eye and take it away. repeat over and over. sucks dont it?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
You forgot to mention to keep an eye out for the moron running you over from behind ... I always flash my breaklight by tapping the brake a little.

Fog SUCKS

·
Registered
177 Posts
Bikes do not have fog lights for wieght reasons, besides, have you ever used the "fog lights " on the cars now a days. They do next to nothing to help! I try to keep the low beam only on... Then, if I see that a car is coming fomr the rear I will turn my signal fomr left to right and tap the brake. They get the picture. Also, wear refelctive gear!

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
yes, many factory 'fog lights' on production cars are mostly useless - more for show than anything else. the department of transportation, if i remember correctly, does not have beam pattern guidelines for fog lights as it does for low and high beams. so often manufacturers tend to usually just use whatever looks good. aftermarket 'fog lights' tend to be even worse.

this is fairly common knowledge, but don't use your high beams in fog.

also, just slow the f*ck down in fog. some studies have shown that fog distorts your perception of speed - i.e. you think you're going slower than you really are. then what happens is that you subconsciously speed up, because you think you're going too slow. higher speeds + less visibility = potentially more trouble for you.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Agreed with the slow down part, but my bike does have fog lights for that very reason, and they actually work pretty good too.

--Ryan--

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
CSUgixxer said:
Agreed with the slow down part, but my bike does have fog lights for that very reason, and they actually work pretty good too.
properly mounted fog lights are mounted low so that they shine underneath the fog. putting fog lights up high means more of the beam is shining into the fog, not underneath it. (not bashing, just clarifying.)

of course, putting fog lights down low leaves them very susceptible to debris kicked up by other vehicles in front of you, but that's the tradeoff you make.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Also cover the brake and clutch levers, you never know when a cager will appear in front of you. Also watch for wet spots in the road, that much moisture in the air had to be landing somewhere....namely the road, your tires and your brakes.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have pulled over and waited for fog to lift .. Once I waited 4 hours and would have waited another 10 hours. It was thick One of my friends lost his life because he wouldnt get out of it . 18 wheeler got him from behind ..

·
Registered
399 Posts
Fog sucks and then your wet,and cold and going slow getting wetter and colder it sucks.. Then you have to crack your visor open cause thats foging too.... FOG SUCKS!!

·
Registered
921 Posts
Now has any of you bikers tried Rain-x or Fog-x?

I am curious if this could possibly help. stay safe.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Fog definitely sucks!

I left for work one day and weather in my town was amazing. Sunny, warm, not a cloud in the sky. But 3 minutes down the highway, and past any off-ramps and I hit a wall of fog that lasted all the way to work.

I was wet, cold, couldn't see shit and was late to work.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I got side swiped by a mini truck 4 weeks ago on a perfectly sunny SoCal day on the freeway. I'm fine, thank goodness to full gear and frame sliders. The cagers behind me stopped just in time. I can't imagine how that idiot girl drives on a foggy day.. sheesh..

1 - 20 of 38 Posts