Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to have a 1998 GSXR750 but regretfully sold it.. I just picked up a 99 model with only 13k's on it perfect condition. It has a yoshi rs3 can on it and a K&N air filter.. I am not very good with mechanics and would like to know the first and best way to pick up good power.. are these power commander systems worth a look? the rest of the yoshi system? .... secondly, if done right in a straight line or on paper can I get my 99 750 to go a R1?

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
It took a lot of work, but once I hit my power band, te stock R1 will not pull away from me. I have done better times then some R1s at the drags... But it takes A LOT of work... Unless you know how to work on the bike yourself, I wouldnt put that kinda money into the motor.

John

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
A power Commander will allow you to setup your bike a lot better than stock, and whilst it may not give you any extra power, it will make the power you have more useable, it fills the holes in the power curve rather well.

A Full system, and appropriate map will help too.

Changing the gearing will allow you to accelerate faster, at the expense of top speed (who needs 150+mph)

lighter weight chain and sprockets will help too, and "HH" pads will help you stop better.

This will mean you can accelerate faster, and stop better than an average R1.

As far as handling - getting the suspension setup to your weight and style, maybe getting the rear swapped or re-vavled, and replacing those tires with some nice sticky buns and you are all set.

If you do all of that, there are very few R1's that are going to even stay with you, let alone disappear into the distance

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hey Guys, i have a 99 750, full Yosh exhaust, just got the K&N filter put in yesterday, Gixxerfever actually helped me remapp the bike..and it rides like a different bike...we went with the 5,10,5, remapp which is what was suggested in the Yosh box, are there any other setting that you guys would recommend using for more low end power?..i am thinking about getting the chain and sprocket kit as well..i mean let's be honest it's not like im really gonna miss the 4 or 5 miles per hour on the top end..... i would have rather have the acceleration.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Did you pull out the PAIR valve? Put a crank case breather on the vent tube and plug the hole left in the air box.

Go +3 on the rear sprocket. Use Synth oils.

If you do that you should like what happens...

John

·
Registered
76 Posts
no i didn't do that yet but will definitely give it a try...Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.
You really know your SH!T

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey GSXR-Freak.... Going +3 on the rear .. Better off that or down one on the front...Do you know how much it will affect the speedo (Australia KLMS) and is it worth while I am fitting new chain and sprokets next week so I need to decide what to do??.... Pic is my old 98... now I am 20kg lighter with short hair LOL

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
U got the same bike as Nolz

I went 3+ on the rear when i renewed my chain + sprocket setup. It's better to go + on the rear because going down on the front makes the chain closer to the slider on the swingarm, and apparently, it increases wear, due the fact that it's going around a smaller circumference.

U can also do a 520 conversion if u're changing the whole setup.

Gearing down wil make your speedo more optimistic than it already is. But i dont have exact numbers.

KaTz

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Originally posted by KaTz:
U got the same bike as Nolz

I went 3+ on the rear when i renewed my chain + sprocket setup. It's better to go + on the rear because going down on the front makes the chain closer to the slider on the swingarm, and apparently, it increases wear, due the fact that it's going around a smaller circumference.

U can also do a 520 conversion if u're changing the whole setup.

Gearing down wil make your speedo more optimistic than it already is. But i dont have exact numbers.

KaTz
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I agree 100%

John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts