Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will changing my sprocket set up ad more HP? Or will it only ad more Toruqe/Speed with the set-up you go with? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Just changes your power band. I've got a 1000 so I just added 2 to the rear sprocket . I've got better take off without over doing it.

·
Registered
606 Posts
hp won't change. torque/speed is what will change

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is there a combo that will give you both? I don't want to be to torque happy, but yet I would like more top end.

·
Registered
152 Posts
If you add a couple to the back or -1 on the front , you will notice more torque in the lower rpm , but you shouldn't notice that much loss off top end.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Just changes your power band. I've got a 1000 so I just added 2 to the rear sprocket . I've got better take off without over doing it.
Changes powerband?? umm.. hate to be the one to tell ya, but streetbikes dont have powerbands, those are for refering to 2 stroke motors... changing sprocets on a bike is like changing rearend gears in a car... no difference

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
This is quoted from the wheelie 101 section in the stunt forum/

"Now, start tooling down the road, in 1st gear, up until you reach the powerband, which will be anywhere from 4-8K, depending on your bike. I don't look at the tach when pulling up, and you shouldn't either. It's just one more thing to detract your attention that could better be spent elsewhere."

Hence the use of the word powerband. As a matter of fact, street bikes do indeed have a powerband. Have you ever noticed in first gear, when you take off, it goes from real sluggish, to instant acceleration? That would be the point at which you entered the powerband.

All the word powerband means, is the range of RPM, in which the majority of the power is created. So yes a streetbike does have a powerband, so does a car, and a 2 stroke powered machine.

Scott

·
Registered
830 Posts
lol, i guess if i typed that the sky was blue you would believe me... AS A MATTER of fact the reason first is so strong is because of the gearing in the tranny.. on a gsxr 750 your first gear ration is 2.785:1 ratio versus 6th gear is 1.181:1 so in frist gear you get about 1.5 more rotations PER... hence the performance feel in first, PowerBand in theory are where you get the most horsepower, IN THEORY, hever on a 2 stroke it is very noticable because its quick and almost instant, a 4 stroke is wider and smooth, you wont notice the peak horsepower on a 4stroke.. so to be honest, 4 strokes Dont have a "POWERBAND" as a 2 stroke does... with a 4 stroke the more rpms the more hp until it loose effencies and starts to drop...lol

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Thats weird, every person I ever talked to about this, professional or not, has always said 4 stokes do have a powerband. Even professional motor builders say this. But who knows... My instructors at MMI told me this also.

Scott

·
Registered
830 Posts
your instructors at MMI? o wow now your in school for motorcycle mechanics and your quoting things from the STUNT forum LMAO.... the sudden burst of power in a 2 stroke is what people refer to a powerband, in 4stroke the powerband(if you wish to call it that) is almost the full rpm range, HP is LINEAR on a 4 stroke to the RPMS up to a certain point in which it peaks..UNLESS you are using a poweradder. so telling me about your 4stroke powerband is rather ... welll nevermind..

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
See, now this is going too far. So I go to school for this? There is something wrong with that? I forgot you must be Mr. I can do everything, without learning anything from anybody. I ddint know it was stupid to go to school. I have already finished the MMI program about 2 years ago. Thought maybe I might learn some stuff I didnt know, and what a revalation, I did. But obviously, I must be dumb because I went to MMI

As for the quote, that was a simple piece of writing in that forum that I grabbed, because he used it, and not one person on all those pages of replys, said anything about not having a powerband on a bike.

But all the professionals I have talked to agree with what I have said. Serach anywhere on the internet, everyeone talks about it. But they must all be wrong too.

2 Strokes have a short/sweet powerband
4 Strokes have a long/broad powerband. But they do have a powerband!

Scott

·
Registered
2,885 Posts

·
Registered
2,885 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
the WORD power band is the wrong word to use when talking about 4k to 8k in RPMS.. PERIOD... 4 stroke motors as long as they are accelerating they are in your SO CALLED powerband.. MAKE SENSE? a 600 does not have a powerband from 4-8grand... unless its cammed stupid funky..

·
Registered
830 Posts
See, now this is going too far. So I go to school for this? There is something wrong with that? I forgot you must be Mr. I can do everything, without learning anything from anybody. I ddint know it was stupid to go to school. I have already finished the MMI program about 2 years ago. Thought maybe I might learn some stuff I didnt know, and what a revalation, I did. But obviously, I must be dumb because I went to MMI

As for the quote, that was a simple piece of writing in that forum that I grabbed, because he used it, and not one person on all those pages of replys, said anything about not having a powerband on a bike.

But all the professionals I have talked to agree with what I have said. Serach anywhere on the internet, everyeone talks about it. But they must all be wrong too.

2 Strokes have a short/sweet powerband
4 Strokes have a long/broad powerband. But they do have a powerband!

Scott
I didnt say anything about being stupid. ... what i was refering to is the fact that if your an MMI student you should have enough personal knowledge that you wont have to refer to at quote, SORRY!!.. you should just be able to state the facts..

a 4-8grand Powerband is crazy.. its more like linear hp gain from 4-14grand or so.... whatever a dyno proves...

Examples bike a is a 4 stroke and bike b is a 2 stroke:

Bike A: You have a very high horsepower (100hp) engine with very little torque (10ft/lbs) and you will eventually go very fast, you just have to wait some time...

Bike B: You have a very high (70ft/lbs) torque engine with very little (10hp) horsepower, you will accelerate very fast off the line, but then you won't be going very fast in speed.

your going to feel a Quick burst of power on the 2 stroke because it revs quick but ends quick...

check this out...
http://www.madmanengineering.com/dyno.htm
this site shows a 2stroke dyno sheet and a 4 stroke dyno sheet.. the 2 stroke dyno sheet shows that it make no power really before 7700, about 5 grand more to reach max hp (hence huge fast powerband) ..the 4 stroke takes longer.. the 4 stroke is more linear increasing with RPMS.. you wont find a powerband feel in that 4 stroke motor ... ITS LINEAR, not straight up like a 2 stroke (powerband)!!!!!!!! i guess this just isnt making any sense to you..

the reason i say you dont have a powerband.. its so linear that you dont really have one...

for those that would like to know here is the definition of Powerband..
The subjectively defined rpm range over which an engine delivers a substantial fraction of its peak power. The power band usually extends from slightly below the engine's torque peak to slightly above its power peak.

4-8K does not deliver a substantial fraction of the Peak power for 99% of 4 stroke bikes .. End of story

·
Registered
152 Posts
Changes powerband?? umm.. hate to be the one to tell ya, but streetbikes dont have powerbands, those are for refering to 2 stroke motors... changing sprocets on a bike is like changing rearend gears in a car... no difference
Ok, if thats not the word for it , then tell all of us dumb fuks what the proper word for it is, so the next time people like you will understand.

·
Registered
830 Posts
changing the powerband and changing the sprockets should never be in the same sentence PERIOD, the dyno doesnt give a crap what sprocket you have its not really goin to change anything, actually ive seen it read less hp on a dyno with just 1 sprocket down.....

regardless, dont think to hard, Just reread the definition of POWER BAND and figure it out dude.. its not brain surgery..
here.. for your convience ill repost it

POWER BAND-The subjectively defined rpm range over which an engine delivers a substantial fraction of its peak power. The power band usually extends from slightly below the engine's torque peak to slightly above its power peak.

NOW.. if the dyno show a smooth linear hp line line 99% of the 4 stroke motors, then there can be no "defined rpm range over which an engine delivers a substantial fraction of its peak power" its hard to find any RPM range that delivers more substantial fraction of peak power because most hp runs at what.. at 45 degree angle??? give or take??

·
Registered
830 Posts
to add.. a true powerband on a 4 stroke that say has a peak hp of 100 at 10,000rpms.... say from 5grand to 8 grand it jumps from 45hp(at 5grand) to 98hp(at 8grand) well thats a substantial fraction of the peak horsepower.. therefore thats your powerband.. but like on my gsxr from an old dyno sheet.. its smooth all the way up with no extreme rises.. so just say like the 4000 to 7,000 range.. at 4000 im producing 45hp and at 7000 im producing 69hp so in 4 grand i gain right at 24 hp but my dyno runs to 137.2hp... 24hp is NOT a substantial amount of the peak hp.. so there is NO POWER BAND there... its only 17% of the peak versus the previous was closer to 50%... im not trying to argue, just trying to explain why i say what i say... i really hope this makes sense

·
Registered
54 Posts
i will have to agree motorcycles do indeed have a powerband... i can send dyno graphs if anyone would like to view them..and in fact doing pulls in all 6 gears the POWERBAND on a particular motorcycle the majority of the power is created between the same rpm range

1 - 20 of 27 Posts