Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Who got da BUSA?
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a custom SRAD, it's a 98 frame and body work with what i believe is a 00 750 FI, i haven't really dug into it that deep yet and the guy I bought it from seemed a little "eccentric" if you will. the bike runs great with the exception that on occasion when it get hot, it refuses to start sometimes like the battery is dead. i have checked the battery, and the charging system, seems to be working just fine and the bike has sufficient voltage when it acts up. what are the other possible problems. I'm at a loss and i'm really getting tired of push starting it!

·
Who got da BUSA?
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh and I've searched the forums... So we can leave any of the unnecessary banter about searching first out.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
if you had searched you would know what the common problem is on our bikes.

1. worn starter
2. defective regulator
3. bad battery

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
Searching would also show that sometimes the answer to the Hot Start issue sometimes can't be found. It's kinda a mystery and sometimes people can't figure out what's wrong.

·
Who got da BUSA?
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
OK so i've spend a good amount of time searching the forums and so far what i've gathered is a bunch of speculation and bypasses(EX. i'm not putting headlight kill switch to save voltage, thats just poor maintenance... unless you have a need for a headlight kill switch like running from the cops or something like that) around problems but no real solutions. the way i learned was that if you have an issue there is a problem, typically these things carry from vehicle to vehicle... it's why they have factory recalls. I don't want to sound like a jerk but if this is a common problem like everyone say it is... why don't we have a definitive solution and make it a sticky? wouldn't that be easier than telling everyone that has this problem to search more? :dunno

Searching would also show that sometimes the answer to the Hot Start issue sometimes can't be found. It's kinda a mystery and sometimes people can't figure out what's wrong.
cause lets all admit that we get frustrated searching for 3-4 hours and be told to piss off, that it's in there and we just haven't found it.

·
Premium Member
10,466 Posts
let your bike idle a bit before shutting it off, especially after spirited riding. Letting it idle will allow it to "decompress" for lack of a better word. I do it and never have a problem. I let it idle for about 10 seconds or so....while I'm taking my helmet off and stuff.

·
Premium Member
6,364 Posts
no one has found the holy grail of a solution to the hot start issue thats prob why there is no sticky. but to me is seems like a heatsoaking of the starter issue.. hey get a can of cold spray and try cooling it off fast when it will not start. that will tell us if that is it. I am lucky enough to not have the hot start issue

·
Certifiable
23 Posts
Such a pain in the rear issue. Ride for a good hour or so and see that little gas light pop on, pull into the gas station to fill up and you end up getting stuck there for like 45 minutes.....

·
Who got da BUSA?
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm away from the bike for a few days but when i get it back i will try the heat soak idea. thats better than some of the other alternatives. electrically the bike is fine. does anyone with a 600 have the hot start issues or is it strictly a 750 problem?

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
It comes down to a few things.
1) Does the bike crank and just not fire up
2) does the bike not crank

It would help to know more about the problem. People that get on here and give a half ass description of the problem, doesnt want to search to see what is a better match to the problem they have, then get upset when someone says to search.

More detail to your problem will prompt for a better reaction from the users.

John

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Also, taking the time to figure out for sure if you have a 00 750 motor of not would change a LOT of things as the 00 motor is a lot different then the 96-99.

It again comes to more detail on this. We need to know what you have and how the bike acts before we can help.

John

·
Premium Member
10,466 Posts
no one has found the holy grail of a solution to the hot start issue thats prob why there is no sticky. but to me is seems like a heatsoaking of the starter issue.. hey get a can of cold spray and try cooling it off fast when it will not start. that will tell us if that is it. I am lucky enough to not have the hot start issue
^

Such a pain in the rear issue. Ride for a good hour or so and see that little gas light pop on, pull into the gas station to fill up and you end up getting stuck there for like 45 minutes.....
:lol uh you have a different problem.

I'm away from the bike for a few days but when i get it back i will try the heat soak idea. thats better than some of the other alternatives. electrically the bike is fine. does anyone with a 600 have the hot start issues or is it strictly a 750 problem?
^^ that's not what TT750 meant. :lol and I also wouldn't blast anything that hot with cold air...ever take a hot glass out of the dishwasher and run cold water on it? Dang thing might blow up or at least crack.

I thought that I read something about the sig gen causing this. :dunno
could very well be.

the only "fix" I've seen/heard of for the hot start issue is or letting the engine idle for a bit before shutting it down and yes, I even let it idle at the gas station while I get my wallet out. I have it idling all the way up until I'm ready to actually squeeze the pump and get gas. Then I cut it off, open the gas tank, get gas, start it up fine.

I have no idea what it does, but it works everytime. I've been doing that and have never had an issue with my starter motors. Only reason I have one for sale is because I'm parting out a motor.

·
Premium Member
6,364 Posts
i would hit my starter with cold spray but thats just me.. the other alternative is to take a heat gun to the starter and heat it up see if it cranks slow..

·
Registered
253 Posts
im at the same point, however i have tested and replaced the know culprits except the starter. ohmed and voltage checked the coil, thats good. replaced the r/r with a used one, then a new one. replaced the battery twice. it charges great, it just wont start hot. i can let it idle up to 180, shut it off, its ok. i let it idle up to 210, shut it off, and it wont start for 40 minutes. once the temps are down, it acts like nothing happened. ive tried letting it idle before shutting it off any amount between 5 seconds and minute and nothing helps. im at the point now that if i stop for fuel, i use my spare key to open the tank and leave it running

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
im at the point now that if i stop for fuel, i use my spare key to open the tank and leave it running
Why do I have this feeling that's a bad thing to do lol Nonethe less though that's a pretty smart idea I guess. Just doesnt sound safe though..

·
Registered
253 Posts
yea, thats why im buying a used starter from a member here that says it doesnt have that issue. ive cleaned out the inside of my starter. it was a bit crusty, but it didnt help. usually i play it smart and ride it cold from work to the gas station. it doesnt get hot enough to cause an issue restarting, but it is markedly slower to turn

·
Premium Member
6,364 Posts
why buy a starter, take yours off and clean it out. also give the bolts a good clean and the ears where it bolts to the engine and the pads on the engine. i did notice that my bolts where covered in with corrosion all the way down the treads when i had the starter off my bike. throwing parts at the dam thing is foolish.

·
RAWR!!!
381 Posts
Finally had the dreaded no hot start issue tonight.

Went out for a little spirited run, nothing major bike didn't climb past 200, stopped at a friends house for an hour, bike started fine, then went home and went to leave and It would barely turn. I figured because it was a really short drive from my friends house to mine and it was hot and humid this might be the culprit, bump started it and drove away, took off for about two hours, highway driving, in the city, got home bike was probably just around was around 210ish went I got home, turned it off and then tried to start it up immediately and noticed it would barely turn over once.

Sounds just like a weak battery, which has never given me problems yet. Put a charge on the battery (still going now) and let the bike cool, took almost an hour to get the bike from just over 200 to 150, humid no breeze. Once the bike was at 140 I turned on the key and gave it a little shot to see how it turned, started sounding alot more healthy.

So, I'm assuming, and that's probably a bad thing is that Its looking like a new battery for me? Or would the hot starting issues with these bikes it so hard for the bike to turn over that the battery would be too taxed to do it?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
About this Discussion
33 Replies
14 Participants
dannyj
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing