Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
help a newb....
here is my plan...i am preety much sacrfificin my whole summer by pickin up a second job...so i can buy my bike by season end..then i intend to keep at the second job all winter to modify the bike the way i want to..paint scheme etc..now heres my question in you guys experience how much do mods cost...exhuast, jet(what is jet anyway) lol, etc...thanx

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Personally, I'd worry about getting good gear before you start modding the bike. Helmet, jacket, gloves, pants and boots are gonna run you at least $1000. Yes it can be done for cheaper, but depends on how much you want to protect yourself. Plus being a new rider I'd worry more about getting seat time and developing your riding skills before you start dumping money into mods. And since you're looking at older model bikes, it stands a good chance that many of the mods you would want to do will already be done.

For the year range that you're looking at, a slip on would cost $250-$400 depending on which brand. Jet kits are only needed on carb'ed bikes....which yours would be. The newer models are fuel injected so you can get away with just adding a bolt-on exhaust....though some like to get it remapped.

Not exactly sure on a custom paint job...but probably somewhere in the range of $800-$1000.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im thinkin of gettin a dirtbike..try to find 1 cheap as hell to beat on..that should help right.....and arent 98 and up 600's injected...im defenitley not goin below a 98.....oh and trust gear is defenetley on my mind...a good jacket and helmet are a defenite..but cant i wear say a pair of timberlands and be fine...also i wear baggy jeans is it possible to wear knee pads underneath and be fairly ok?please dont laugh...lmao

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Kneepads won't do you any good under jeans. The jeans will just rip away along with the kneepad. You can get a nice pair of pants for $100.

·
Registered
302 Posts
i dont think having a dirtbike will help you all that much on a streetbike. personally i would forget about the streetbike for now and get a cheap 500-800 bike to learn on so if you f*** it up, you wont be paying on something thats messed up. then after you think your good enough, progress from there. i wouldnt buy a newer bike until you have at least 10K mi under your belt.

i am not trying to be a jackazz, im just trying to help so you dont end up paying out the azz when you go down.

Just remember this....there are 2 kinds of riders, ones that have gone down and those that will go down.

·
Registered
302 Posts
everyone wants to just jump right in to riding from the top, but ill tell you this, go talk to some bikers and ask how long they have been riding. you will generally see that the ones on the newer, nicer bikes have been riding a while, where as the bikes that are messed up are ridden by newer riders (less than 2 years)

·
Registered
84 Posts
I say it depends on how you plan on riding. I'm a motorcop and have been ridin for about 5 years. Harley work, gixxer off. I just taught my best friend how to ride about 2 months ago now. He bought and learned on a 2005 GSXR 600. He's caught on very quickly. But then again, he rarely rides solo. We always rider together about every weekend. We dont do stunts (yet workin on it tho).
But we definitley haul a** on some curves. I think you would be fine with buying a 98 or up bike and learning on. Just keep it small.......a 600 is best. 600 is still plenty fast to kill you.......just be careful. If you have an experienced rider to teach you great and ride together for a while. You should be fine. If you dont have anyone to teach you or ride with......then yea, definitley start out a POS. My first was a 93 Katana 600. Talk about a POS kept 6 months then upgraded to 97 GSXR 600. Baby steps my friend. REMEMBER you are 80 times more likely to have a wreck in the first SIX MONTHS of riding. Get a Helmet and Jacket and BOOTS....not shoes. You need something to protect your ankles so if you go down you stand a better chance of KEEPING your feet attached. Sorry to get so long winded, just be safe and watch your back (and front and sides and above....)you get it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts