Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a k5 750 with about 7900 miles on it close to 8k, I've been using the regular suzuki oil and I also have a k7 750 with about 9800 miles that has been using synthetic blend, Now I'm considering switching both bikes to full synthetic using the Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40, they have it at autozone for about 9bucks a quart. Now my question is, I've read several forums about clutch slippage when switching to full synthetic, how many of you use this oil? what are your reviews of it? and does the full synthetic really cause the clutch to slip?

And no they don't sell amsoil anywhere near my house.. both bikes are mainly used as street bikes and both bikes do maybe one to two track days a year, but mainly street.

·
Nittany Lion
4,277 Posts
Anyone that says full synthetic oil makes your clutch slip is a retard. Especially a full synthetic designed for wet clutches. As 4T is. I've been using it for going on ten years, never had a clutch slip due to oil. Maybe one or two times due to my own error and just missing a shift. Review oil ? No one can review oil unless you do a scientific analysis on it. I've been using 4T for years, never had a bike blow up on me. Therefore, it's good oil to me.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
i ve used T4 in mine a few times when i couldnt get ahold of Amsoil, and i dont like the stuff. "it seems" that when i have the T4 my trans "clunks" into the gears harder, and when i go back to the Amsoil, that is completely gone.
i have over 18,000 miles on my K8 600 and started using full syn after 500 miles, no ploblems here.

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone that says full synthetic oil makes your clutch slip is a retard. Especially a full synthetic designed for wet clutches. As 4T is. I've been using it for going on ten years, never had a clutch slip due to oil. Maybe one or two times due to my own error and just missing a shift. Review oil ? No one can review oil unless you do a scientific analysis on it. I've been using 4T for years, never had a bike blow up on me. Therefore, it's good oil to me.
cool thank you, I would have to say is a poor choice of words in mybehalf, by review I mean if you ever had any problems using it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a k5 750 with about 7900 miles on it close to 8k, I've been using the regular suzuki oil and I also have a k7 750 with about 9800 miles that has been using synthetic blend, Now I'm considering switching both bikes to full synthetic using the Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40, they have it at autozone for about 9bucks a quart. Now my question is, I've read several forums about clutch slippage when switching to full synthetic, how many of you use this oil? what are your reviews of it? and does the full synthetic really cause the clutch to slip?

And no they don't sell amsoil anywhere near my house.. both bikes are mainly used as street bikes and both bikes do maybe one to two track days a year, but mainly street.
Mobil 1 will be fine, it is a good lubricant. Just so you know, although the label says so, it is not a "Synthetic" oil.

·
Wants Robert Pattinson to explore his Twilight Sta
3,415 Posts

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
motul 300v does :cheers
I'm also considering the Motul 5100 4T Synthetic Blend, 26bucks for a gallon, good price and heard nothing but great things about it.... motul 300v is just as much as amsoil, thats for rich people I can't afford that for two bikes every 3,000miles lol

·
Nittany Lion
4,277 Posts
cool thank you, I would have to say is a poor choice of words in mybehalf, by review I mean if you ever had any problems using it.
Your welcome. 4T is good oil. All modern oils are fine to use in our bikes these days as long as they are not energy conservative. If it's me, I'd prefer to use anything that is designed for wet clutches. Then again, a guy on here put 200,000 miles on his CBR 600 using only conventional car oil that is not designed for wet clutches. Only changed it every 5k miles or so. He never once had any problems with the clutch or anything else motor related. The only importance that I can see being of any irrelevance in relation to the oil you choose. Is to be sure to change it a significant time change interval. Oils are made now to be changed between further interval guide lines. For examaple the days of old, was be sure to change the oil between 3k miles. Now it's perfectly fine to change that oil with an additional couple to a few thousand more miles added to that. People still get the same results. Just don't stretch the oil life too drasitically and any oil you choose to afford will work just fine. I'd avoid taking taking feedback from biased opinions on what people think is best based on what's most popular. Or which oil companies spend the most money in advertising, therefore making their products most expensive. As a result people tend to think. " If it's the most expensive oil, it's gotta be the best." I don't believe this to be true with oil. Other products, sure. Oil is not one of them.

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
I've been using Mobil 1 for the last year or so. I started using it because Motul just became too expensive for the amount of oil I go through in a year. 93k miles and still on the stock clutch and no slipping whatsoever.:cheers

·
Nittany Lion
4,277 Posts
I've been using Mobil 1 for the last year or so. I started using it because Motul just became too expensive for the amount of oil I go through in a year. 93k miles and still on the stock clutch and no slipping whatsoever.:cheers
Here's a good guy to listen to. He racks up the miles. :cheers

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've been using the mobil1 4t in my 93 1100 and 98 1100 for a year now. Each with over 18k miles. It's great oil and I don't plan on changing to anything else.

K

·
0 Posts
i ve used T4 in mine a few times when i couldnt get ahold of Amsoil, and i dont like the stuff. "it seems" that when i have the T4 my trans "clunks" into the gears harder, and when i go back to the Amsoil, that is completely gone.
i have over 18,000 miles on my K8 600 and started using full syn after 500 miles, no ploblems here.
I noticed that too on my k8 750 and now my k7 1K

·
Biased Multi Level Marketing Dealer - take into co
382 Posts
And no they don't sell amsoil anywhere near my house..
I deliver it right to your front door at an unbeatable price.

Email us know when you need your next AMSOIL change.

motul 300v is just as much as amsoil, thats for rich people I can't afford that for two bikes every 3,000miles lol
If you are changing AMSOIL as often as you change other oils, you are wasting money. With the AMSOIL EA filter, 2X's the OEM interval.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

·
Jesus-On-Skates
5,281 Posts
I've been doing 5,000 miles, and will continue to do so. Using AMSOIL anyways - only thing I could recommend Bob, and I'm not sure if you're involved with R&D at all, but slap a wrench attachment onto the end of that oil filter, took me damn near 6 hours to dig out an old strap wrench :(

·
Biased Multi Level Marketing Dealer - take into co
382 Posts
LOL... I have an End Cap wrench for $1.90 that I should have recommended or a 2 Jaw wrench for $9.95.

Sorry about that.. :)

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

·
Banned
3,858 Posts
Amsoil in Australia is $20 - $26 quart + delivery interstate.

This makes Motul and Maxima oils very competively priced if one is looking for a premuim synthetic. Especially when these oils can be obtained from most good motorcycle outlets without paying additional shipping charges that are required to purchase Amsoil.

It is a no brainer for Australia (and dare I say any other country other than the US) to buy other premium synthetic brands from higher profile companies that supply through more traditionally established distributors and retailers.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts