Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mixing Different Tires On \'05 GSXR-1000???

My rear tire is toast after 3000 miles of hard riding (two up, canyons, highways) and I need a new one. My front tire is still good so I dont want to waste it. I want to run Pilot Powers next, anyone think its that big of a deal to run a Pilot Power on the back and keep the BT-014 Battleaxe on the front?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Mixing Different Tires On \'05 GSXR-1000???

Anyone? I would like to avoid buying another battleaxe.

·
Registered
467 Posts

Mixing tires will give you inconsistant handling. I've done it and you may get reasonable handling or it may totally suck. You will never realize great performance with different tires. If you are just looking for straight line grip or tire longetivity, then it would be fine. Its in the turns and in the rain that you will notice the difference in flex rate, profile, grip and slide rate. Look at your front wheel, if its scuffed right to the edge, then buy a new front too . If there is a half inch of unused tire on the edges, then you might be fine. Only you can decide if your life, your passengers life and your bike is worth the extra money to purchase a new tire for the front to complete the set. A perfect set of tires is a magical thing that dramatically increases the experience. But, if it means the kid will go without diapers and formula, then the choice is clear.

·
Registered
915 Posts

well, im running a mix now, shitstone on the front and pilot power on the back, the powr will actually push the front end of my bike around from the difference in traction, though im quite used to it and dont mind.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks guys, anymore opinions?

·
Registered
553 Posts

i have an 03 got a nail in the rear, i'm planing on selling it at the end of the season, so i wanted to keep the tire the same. i get 20% over cost discount at a local shop, even so for another 50-70 dollars i could have got a set of better tires ,pilots or corsas. my point is oem's are expensive i'd get a set of pilots right from a member on this site.

·
Registered
120 Posts

I hope I am not talking out my ExhaustBut, The BTO14 is an ss tire and will perform well with any ss rear. I just put a corsa on the rear of my K5 and have the stock BTO14 on front and it is fine .Pocono trackday 7/1 and I am confident the combo will perform OK. You can use up another rear before needing a set. Unless 1000 of those miles were on the track!!!

·
Premium Member
4,068 Posts

I got a Diablo up front and a Pilot Power out back. It seems to work fine for me.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts

I think I'd put another BT014 on the rear. Im not crazy about the Idea of mixing tire's. When they both wear out in 3000miles ill get a new set F and R.

·
Registered
623 Posts

My rear tire is toast after 3000 miles of hard riding (two up, canyons, highways) and I need a new one. My front tire is still good so I dont want to waste it. I want to run Pilot Powers next, anyone think its that big of a deal to run a Pilot Power on the back and keep the BT-014 Battleaxe on the front?
Couldn't you get a set of Pilots and sell the old front?

·
Registered
296 Posts

I have a pilot power on the front and a pilot road on the back. I ride a K2. i went with the pilot power on the front because fronts last longer and I wanted to have good traction at the front. i went with the pilot road on the rear because i want my rear tire to last longer. I realize I am giving up some rear grip with this tire. for street riding it seems to work OK. if you ride aggressively consistently (i.e., exploring the limits of your tires) then I would recommend riding matched sets of sticky tires and taking your bike to the track.

I have also run bridgestone fronts with a michelin pilot sport or dunlop 208 rear in the past on the street. no problems to report. but I would recommend running the same brand of tire front and back when you are replacing both.

in most street situations the pilot power and pilot road seem to get along pretty well. there are certain situations, such as on secondary (poorer quality) asphalt, where the pilot road starts to move around some, which is a good indication to slow down. it might be that the difference between the designs of the tires reveals itself these situations. I could try a pilot road on the front to see if that changes handling on poor pavement. but, for now, I will keep the pilot power front because of the grip it offers.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Couldn't you get a set of Pilots and sell the old front?
Its got plenty of tread left, but I need a tire quick and I dont know anyone that wants to buy it for a decent price.

·
Registered
125 Posts

I have run mismatched tires several times in the past but as my skills have increased i am able to notice the difference in running mismatched brands, compounds etc. Neither of my bikes have ever run better than when i put sets of pilot powers on them. Handling is completely effortless compared to when i had mismatched tires. Ive never noticed much difference in a straight line, only cornering.

·
Squid
3,566 Posts

Yeah, mixed tires will work great if you know how to ride. Really.

But eventually it restrains you and fights handling.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Thanks for all the responses guys.....

·
Banned
5,032 Posts

I mix tires as a rule. The Michelin 1246 front slick rocks my world but their rear slicks in 17" suck ass on a 6" rim. I run Metzeler or Pirelli on the back because they stick like glue and are ultra stable. Best of both worlds, since the Metzeler and Pirelli fronts suck butt. I also mix it up on the street running the 208GP at times. Those are two cases where the mix is clearly superior to the match.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Well I went with the side of caution, ordered my new rear battleaxe, even saved $25 too. Next set will be F&R Pilot Powers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts