Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If any newbies are having troubles with missed upshifts, try switching to a race pattern. I used to miss them on my old bike, and I thought that it was just cuz' it was old. When I did it on my new bike, I knew it must be me. It took under five minutes and makes a huge difference. Does anyone else do this for the street?

------------------
'01 giggy 750, red-silver

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
I switched over to the race pattern for a while on the street last summer, but I didn't really like it enough to keep it. I used it for a couple weeks and adjusted to it, but I didn't like dealing with stoplights and shifting down, so I went back.

I found that repositioning the shift lever made a big difference in my ability to give the lever a stronger/quicker push.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I found it easier to adjust the lever downward slightly. Changing to Attack Performance rear sets also helped. The throw is shorter now, and can be made even shorter due to the 3 mounting holes for the shift arm.

Race patterns are okay if you never let someone else ride your bike (unless they're real familiar with that shift pattern).

------------------

·
Registered
86 Posts
I switched to GP shifting a few weeks ago, and I love it. I used to have missed shifts, but I rarely, if ever, do that anymore. It seems to be a bit more intuitive, and plus it is easier to keep pushing the lever down while you're upshifting.

-Mike

------------------
Don't sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Call me a idiot, but I don't really understand the "Race pattern for shifting" But I do understand moving the lever I can do that quite simply

·
Farm OG
2,801 Posts
race pattern: push down on lever to shift to higher gear. used because when you are at an extreme angle of lean and are starting your drive off of the corner, there isn't a whole hell of a lotta room for your foot between the shifter and the pavement (ouch).

------------------
Hotrod

"i'm gonna git you, sucka!"

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
I used to race and found the GP pattern just seemed to make sense. I've been using it on the street for years.

------------------

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a 93 GSXR 600, how do you set the shifter up to use the Race pattern, or GP pattern... When I said I understand moving the lever I meant the throw of the lever where the linkage connects to the shifting rod that comes out of the engine/transmission

------------------

·
Registered
292 Posts
Yeah, I like GP a lot better too... I switched it right when I got my bike so I haven't had the chance to learn the other way. I prefer it GP though.

I wouldn't let anyone that rides the other way ride my bike. They would definitly fuck it up...

steve

------------------

1 - 9 of 9 Posts