Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after reading a few posts on here, it looks like a lot of you know what you're talking about... and since I have no idea besides basic principles, I figured I would ask some questions.

I'm 6'4" and around 185lbs. I know that seems skinny, but believe you me I do have some extra weight in the gut. I'm still the "skinny guy", but I am looking to lose this extra weight, and just simply get toned. I don't want to bulk up and get huge, but I'd like to just replace my fat weight with muscle weight.

I've been running about a mile 5 times a week for about two weeks now, but I don't have any plan as far as weight lifting goes. Low weight, high reps??

So... Diet... well my diet is horrible. I eat maybe two meals a day, which are high in carbs, low in protein.

That's about all I can say... if any of you guys have suggestions, and I know, my diet is a big issue, and I think I could balance my meals out, but please don't suggest I eat 6 meals a day, that's simply impossible given my current work/school schedule (but thanks for the thought ;P ).

Thanks in advance!

·
Banned
12,040 Posts
margolik said:
my diet is a big issue, and I think I could balance my meals out, but please don't suggest I eat 6 meals a day, that's simply impossible given my current work/school schedule (but thanks for the thought ;P ).

Thanks in advance!
EAT MORE!!! Trust me - you can find ways. Protein bars - protein shakes.... I used to have the same mentality, you can figure a way out to eat healthier...

I work go to class go back to work go to class and go back to work - YOU CAN EAT HEALTHY!!!

·
Registered
186 Posts
it isnt easy planning several meals a day but after a couple weeks of forcing yourself to take the time and prepare, it becomes second nature. at night before i go to bed i catch myself naturally thinking about what schedule i'm on the next day and what times im going to eat what, then in the morning its just habit that i throw it together. kind of cool because when i first started my thoughts were that this sucked or was a pain in the arse, but trust me, it becomes part of your life. I have a busy schedule too..full time student, work full time, workout every day at least an hour, study time, and attempting to have a life come the weekend.......set goals and force yourself. it can be done and when you start seeing results you will be so thrilled you made it and it gets easier from there. good luck!!!
also- do a search for dieting or weight loss on here, there is tons of threads in which different people have set examples of a good healthy diet for weight loss, muscle gain, etc.... you might find something that you can follow to start out with and adjust as needed to suit you personally.

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
Too busy to eat correctly,but want to lose fat???
I'll let my bitches handle this one.....

C'mon bitches,set this boy rite

Fiddy,that means you,as u are my Grasshopper

·
Registered
490 Posts
Hey MoviesCar, I am in the same boat with school and work. What do you recommend for quick things for on the go people...
Also as far as shakes go, I don't have a blender and water with the powder is pretty gross. Any other ideas??

Thanks!

·
Registered
489 Posts
sure, just go to mcdonalds and have a double cheesburger and fries and a coke. cause its easy and tastes good. hey if it wasnt work, everyone would be in shape and there wouldnt be an obesity problem in the united states.

however it takes discipline, planning, and work. thus, the reward is being healthy and looking good. sometimes being healthy can cause an investment in food and cooking tools and makes you try things you may not normally eat. My suggestion, do what these guys suggest, the suggest it for a reason, it works. eat 5-6 times a day, eat whole clean foods, drink plenty of water, fit some weight and cardio training in there, and be patient. it will work, and we are all here for support.

NOW DO IT.

·
Registered
186 Posts
sport404: it helps if you make a couple days worth of food at one time- or at least before you go to bed, have everything prepared and bagged for the next day. I turn to a slimfast shake for those short moments when you have hardly any time to eat. on my school days, i have 10 minutes between classes. i just have a mini insulated bag i keep a piece of chicken and a cup of cottage cheese in, throw her down on my way to the next class....obviously hard to enjoy but oh well. it just takes planning and creativity i guess... oh yeah lots of plastic forks and soons!!

·
Registered
186 Posts
sport404: it helps if you make a couple days worth of food at one time- or at least before you go to bed, have everything prepared and bagged for the next day. I turn to a slimfast shake for those short moments when you have hardly any time to eat. on my school days, i have 10 minutes between classes. i just have a mini insulated bag i keep a piece of chicken and a cup of cottage cheese in, throw her down on my way to the next class....obviously hard to enjoy but oh well. it just takes planning and creativity i guess... oh yeah lots of plastic forks and spoons!!

·
Cock Thumb, or Thumb Cock? You decide.
31,593 Posts
and I know, my diet is a big issue, and I think I could balance my meals out, but please don't suggest I eat 6 meals a day, that's simply impossible given my current work/school schedule (but thanks for the thought ;P ).

Thanks in advance!
you have the answer to your own problem right there. THere is no way to drop the body fat the right way with out eating at least 4-5 whole food meals a day. Im still trying to put on weight so i get a bit dirty every now and then. And i kinda figured out what i have to do if i start getting a bit chubby. But when i was trying to drop BF, eating helped alot! I mean, just in a few weeks i could see it melting off. combine that with some cardio and you can drop alot of fat and fast. IF you want it that bad you gotta sacrafice

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
and I know, my diet is a big issue, and I think I could balance my meals out, but please don't suggest I eat 6 meals a day, that's simply impossible given my current work/school schedule (but thanks for the thought ;P ).

Thanks in advance!
you have the answer to your own problem right there. THere is no way to drop the body fat the right way with out eating at least 4-5 whole food meals a day. Im still trying to put on weight so i get a bit dirty every now and then. And i kinda figured out what i have to do if i start getting a bit chubby. But when i was trying to drop BF, eating helped alot! I mean, just in a few weeks i could see it melting off. combine that with some cardio and you can drop alot of fat and fast. IF you want it that bad you gotta sacrafice
yeah but what about weight training? i've read from several sources that combining weight-training with cardio will bring faster results.

or are we just trying to keep it simple since he's a n00b?

·
31,593 Posts

Thanks in advance!
yeah but what about weight training? i've read from several sources that combining weight-training with cardio will bring faster results.

or are we just trying to keep it simple since he's a n00b?
i didnt mention it, but ive always lifted.. from what ive read, lean muscle is the most efficent fat burner. i combined the eating with lifting, and some light-moderate cardio as needed. Im not looking to get sub 10% bf so cardio is not much of a concern as using most of my energy for lifting.

·
Registered
640 Posts
This isn't rocket science. I don't know your age but for simplicity let's just say you're 30.

185 lbs
76"
30 y/o
BMR=1980 calories

You want to drop pounds, how about 20?
165 lbs
76"
30 y/o
BMR=1855 calories

We're talking about 125 calories per day difference between your weight (185) and a lighter weight (165).

That will give you a low body fat% and you'll look like a pencil neck geek. If you don't want to look like you're on a hunger strike you're going to have to build muscle. Once you go down that road you'll need to adjust your nutrients for optimum energy and muscle growth so you don't waste time at the gym building muscle that quickly gets depleted as an energy source. There's plenty of info on the web.

I don't want to bulk up and get huge, but I'd like to just replace my fat weight with muscle weight.
Umm ... yes you do want to bulk up and look like that fitness model and if there was a pill that would do it for you, you'd take it. You just don't have the discipline to do it right now and that's fine. It's not going to happen by mistake tho so don't insult those that have worked out for years trying to achieve it that you could do it with a couple hundred trips to the gym this year.

·
Registered
313 Posts
need to run MORE...RUN MORE.....running a mile 5 times a week doesnt do much, you need to have your heart rate up and keep up for a period of time, im able to run a mile in 5 min but i keep going , i usually try running up to 6 miles at one time, you want to keep your heart rate up, and for toning REP REP REP is your best bet, but i would recommend and occasional heavy lifting , eat healthy!!!!!! no need to follow diet fabs, just eat healthy, fruits, veggies, and cut out caffinie

·
31,593 Posts
need to run MORE...RUN MORE.....running a mile 5 times a week doesnt do much, you need to have your heart rate up and keep up for a period of time, im able to run a mile in 5 min but i keep going , i usually try running up to 6 miles at one time, you want to keep your heart rate up, and for toning REP REP REP is your best bet, but i would recommend and occasional heavy lifting , eat healthy!!!!!! no need to follow diet fabs, just eat healthy, fruits, veggies, and cut out caffinie
wow thats a lot of running.. i garuntee you wont see a top bb'er run 1 mile, let alone 5 miles . diet is where its at, yes they do take chemicals to speed it up, but over all moderate intensity cardio for 45mins -hr and eating clean is a helluva lot easier than running 5 miles at once. I still say lift on the heavy side, the cardio is going to eat away some muscle so you need to build some up. lift now put on some muscle with minor cardio. the lifting will spend calories, the extra muscle will also help to burn more calories.. Once you get the muscle mass diet down to the bf% youre looking for.

and for diet,, why cut caffeine? its a diuretic and energy boost. very common for use with weight loss..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts