Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry I've looked and looked and cant find a thread bout milling the triple out to help raise the front end while keeping the forks flush.

Looks like Toejam did it but I can't find anything from him.

Anyone have any guidance on how to do this?

·
Chubby Chaser
57,804 Posts
Are you trying to avoid purchasing extender caps? How far are you planning to raise the bike up? I assume you are using the bike for the racetrack as I wouldn't bother doing this for just a street-going bike.

I would start with simply adding about 5mm of shim to the rear shock and running the forks fork (you can even get away with them sunked another 3-5mm below flush) which is about all you are going to get with milling the bottom of the steering stem hole on the top triple.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I mean if there was a cheaper way to raise the front than buying $250 caps then I'd be all for it.

Track only bike. I still need to raise the rear, too. Wish I was more knowledgeable about suspension related stuff.

Cheapest I've seen for fork extender caps are $200 for Traxxion caps. Any other options?

·
Chubby Chaser
57,804 Posts
I would start small and work your way up. I've seen plenty of fast guys on 600's/750's that are only running the caps flush and a 5mm shim at the rear going way faster than I am, and I have the whole chassis front and back raised up a fairly decent amount with my Ohlins setup.

Before you start trying to carve up your triple clamp do like I said and start small. Do the basics, make sure the spring rate is proper for your weight, get sag/reb/comp properly sorted out. Then try flushing the fork caps, and adding a 5mm shim to the rear. Do these in stages, make one change...test. Make another change...test. Don't do 6 things all at once.

.......then reassess at that point. Don't get into your head that you have to do everything that everyone else is doing if you don't know what it is your end game is trying to accomplish here. All you will end up doing is complicating things more than they need to be.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
2 Participants
SPL170db
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing