Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys was just womdering if you could help??
I have a gsxr 600 k2. I noticed the other day the oil viewing window was looking cloudy/milky so i did a engine flush, oil change and oil filter change. 3 days later and i the viewing window still looks milky and plus the filler cap has a white residue on it. I use the bike everyday for work and work nights so the bike is outside all night at work and in the day in a garage at home. I am looking at the head casket about to go on me? I have read that a good run out should clear it because its condensation??
Can anybody point me in the wright direction of what it could be please..

Cheers guys

·
IM THE BRONZE
1,336 Posts
Yea, condensation can build up. If you changed the oil, give it a little time.
Also look at your coolant level and watch it when the bike is cold it should remain around the same level.

·
I know things... A lot of things.
3,133 Posts
Was the oil milky when you flushed it? When the bike is used for small trips only and the engine doesn't have a chance to heat up the oil and remove dissolved water, the crankcase tends to be rich in water vapor, which condenses on the engine covers. There, the condensed water mixes with the oil film and makes it milky white. As this happens on the sight glass as well, it looks like the bulk of the oil is white, although that is only the case for a thin film, as explained.

I don't think condensation can saturate the oil with enough water to turn all the oil white (at least that was not the case with me this past winter, where the engine was subjected to small, daily trips to work, that barely got it up to temp). If that is the case, you probably have a leak somewhere allowing water to get into the oil. Besides the head gasket, I think that can also happen at the water pump, so some tests would be in order before arriving to any conclusions.

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
Do a compression test... That looks like a blown head gasket.

·
I know things... A lot of things.
3,133 Posts
Although I agree that a compression test would be the proper way to go, if the oil looked dark and not milky, it might well be just condesation. Do you use the bike for short trips most of the time, not giving it enough time to warm up? Mine looked worse than that through most of the winter, after having changed my job last summer, so that my new office was barely 5-6km from home. I was alarmed at first, but noticed that only the casing of the engine seemed to be covered in white oil, while the rest seemed fine. After a short trip, the sight glass would clear up, only to turn white again by the next morning. Then, after taking a proper 350km trip (and back), it was clean as a whistle and has been since.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts