Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So mad. Bought my 16' 750 witg 5k miles a week ago and drained some of the oil because it was high when I got it, and the oil came out SLIGHTLY dark brown/creamy and unfortunately slight metal flakes.

I know this is not normal, but wanted a second opinion on the severity of the potential engine damage. I read it could be due to coolant mixing with the oil due to gasket issues and the metal flakes could be from normalish wear but also rods, bearings or axle issues?

There's no sludge under oil cap and from pics on Google, there are definitely worse cases.

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
Pull the filter and cut it open, see what you find. If nothing and If the engine runs fine put some fresh oil of the correct spec and amount and go ride.

A 16 with 5K on it who knows that could be the original oil fill from the factory with break in shavings and condensation build up from someone not riding it enough.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
10,534 Posts
I don't see creamy, just some oil that's fairly new and starting to darken. Opening up the filter makes sense but unless there's a lot more flakes in it, I'd be inclined to put things back together, ride for a tank of gas, and take another look.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Metal Shavings Contaminate The Oil

The more contaminated the oil is, the more starved your engine is of proper lubrication. This creates a snowball effect: the dirtier the oil, the more metal shavings end up in the oil. It's because contaminated oil creates even more friction between the moving metal parts.
True. I got a couple more professional second opinions today and I guess they weren't worried about them metal flakes. As far as the oil discoloration, they claimed it could be possible be condensation from it having sat, or yeah, possibly coolant. Ultimately still agreeing that it's odd for a 2016 bike with 5k miles that just got an inspection and service before listing it.. smh

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So mad. Bought my 16' 750 witg 5k miles a week ago and drained some of the oil because it was high when I got it, and the oil came out SLIGHTLY dark brown/creamy and unfortunately slight metal flakes.

I know this is not normal, but wanted a second opinion on the severity of the potential engine damage. I read it could be due to coolant mixing with the oil due to gasket issues and the metal flakes could be from normalish wear but also rods, bearings or axle issues?

There's no sludge under oil cap and from pics on Google, there are definitely worse cases.

Here are some updated pics! I decided to do a full oil/filter change and see what happens over a week. These pics look worse if I'm not mistaken!

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pull the filter and cut it open, see what you find. If nothing and If the engine runs fine put some fresh oil of the correct spec and amount and go ride.

A 16 with 5K on it who knows that could be the original oil fill from the factory with break in shavings and condensation build up from someone not riding it enough.
I like your insight and I hope it's as simple as that. I pulled the filter but I don't have anything to cut it open, but I didn't see large shavings- as a matter of fact I saw nothing. Bike seems to run fine although I'm sensing something is up with the idling.. otherwise seems okay. I'll see what my oil change results in later this week. Thanks man

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’m sorry that happen. Definitely got a blown head gasket.

What color is the exhaust tip?

Does the bike smoke when running/reving?

Thanks man. That's what in thinking too. Tip seems normal dark brown/blackish?

No smoke when starting up or when revving in place in the garage for some minutes. I'm not sure if there's smoke when I'm actually riding since I can't see behind me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't see creamy, just some oil that's fairly new and starting to darken. Opening up the filter makes sense but unless there's a lot more flakes in it, I'd be inclined to put things back together, ride for a tank of gas, and take another look.
Yeah I'm going to do exactly that. I did an oil and filter change today and will check back later this week. I just posted updated pictures from when I drained the oil and THAT looks creamier to me. A service manager said it looks like water is mixed in and made that coffee/creamer look..

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
It would definitely be smoking while reving. It may just have started to leak the coolant into the oil.

From my experience, that’s definitely not just oil starting to darken. Looks like coolant mixed.

Has your coolant level dropped at all?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It would definitely be smoking while reving. It may just has started to leak the coolant into the oil.

From my experience, that’s definitely not just oil starting to darken. Looks like coolant mixed.

Has your coolant level dropped at all?
Okay well definitely not smoking as of now. That's what I'm suspecting too, that the gasket has just started to go. I did take a look at the coolant reservoir yesterday and that was my only starting reference point since I just got the bike. I changed the oil and filter yesterday so I'm going to see how it looks after riding a tank worth of gas. I will check the coolant level as well to see if it's dropped since I last checked and after riding. I'm REALLY hoping it's just condensation after sitting for so long. Since I've spent more time with it, I've literally been finding spider webs on it.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
10,534 Posts
I couldn't see it in your first pics but the second batch show swirls that can only be coolant mixed in with the oil. Similarly that stream of chocolate milk draining into the pan is classic coolant in the oil. If it was in the winter I'd say a frost plug in the head may have popped. But that seems unlikely in mid-summer unless the bike had been in storage for a half year or more before you bought it. Things can also mix at a failed oil cooler but I think that puts oil into the coolant, not the other way.

How many miles have you driven the bike?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I couldn't see it in your first pics but the second batch show swirls that can only be coolant mixed in with the oil. Similarly that stream of chocolate milk draining into the pan is classic coolant in the oil. If it was in the winter I'd say a frost plug in the head may have popped. But that seems unlikely in mid-summer unless the bike had been in storage for a half year or more before you bought it. Things can also mix at a failed oil cooler but I think that puts oil into the coolant, not the other way.

Daaamn it man. This so messed up then. These assholes already decided to not give me a refund and will only buy the bike back at trade in value.

I've driven it maybe 60-70mi in the last 1.5 weeks. I was gonna check the oil again later this week ~Thursday (I changed the oil and filter) after riding it a bit more and seeing if it was just condensation from sitting a while. I've been finding spider webs on it so it must have been sitting a while

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Just took a pic of the coolant. I think it was a bit higher than the last time I saw it, but this is the first physical reference that I have and it's not even half way full. Signs are coming together unfortunately

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts