Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my 20th aniversary and I refilled the tank when the light came up. I put 2.3 gal and had traveled 135 miles from the time I had the tank full to the refil, which gives about 59 miles per gallon. Are you guys having more or less the same numbers?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Geez. The highest I've gotten was 2.8 gallons but a 120miles. That works out to about 42mpg and that's on my 600. Were you going downhill for a long time with the clutch in?

·
Registered
66 Posts
You have to take into consideration that there is still gas in the tank when the light comes on. You most likely had about 3 gallons of gas which would put you around 45 mpg.

·
Registered
423 Posts
This weekend I checked my gas milage and it came out to 45 mpg. At 172 miles it took 3.8 gallons to refill. = 45mpg. Average speed and in the mountains around Sonora Ca.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No,sonicsc1 I took that into account. I filled her up, then rode until the light came up, and refilled her. That was 2.3 gallons. For 135 miles.

·
Cock Thumb, or Thumb Cock? You decide.
31,593 Posts
Yeah, fiddy, but I am still breaking her in. Got only 200 miles on her.
fuck that run that bitch in hard.. wind that shit up... its a long argued topic, but from what ive seen (personal experiences) running in hard is the way to go..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't know about that, fiddy, I am more conservative, I rather go with the manual than the opinion of riders who may or may not be engineers specialized in this particular brand/model/engine type. I figure that if word comes out that suzuki gives the wrong instructions about breaking in on purpose then they are liable millions and I don't think a company of its size and resources would want this scandal for the meager profit it makes from selling a few more engine parts. Think honda or toyota, they are market leaders with cars that never break. Any commonsensical company would try to follow their example.

·
Cock Thumb, or Thumb Cock? You decide.
31,593 Posts
I don't know about that, fiddy, I am more conservative, I rather go with the manual than the opinion of riders who may or may not be engineers specialized in this particular brand/model/engine type. I figure that if word comes out that suzuki gives the wrong instructions about breaking in on purpose then they are liable millions and I don't think a company of its size and resources would want this scandal for the meager profit it makes from selling a few more engine parts. Think honda or toyota, they are market leaders with cars that never break. Any commonsensical company would try to follow their example.
well of course, they want you to take upmost safest manner about break in.. they dont want shit failing to uphold reputation. like i said its a heavily argued topic, but ultimately its your decision. im not saying bounce it off the limiter, but let it stretch its legs,, wind that fucker up to 13-14 k,, with a good roll on in like 2nd 3rd gear,, ill stick by a hard break in, anything with a motor that ive broken in, from rc cars, pocket bikes to my old gix, was ran hard. and theyve always pulled just a bit harder with absolutely no problems. i ran the piss outta my 6. hard break in and a ton of miles above 10k on the tach, had everything checked around 12k miles and not one probelm with engine, valves even totally in spec. my $.02

1 - 16 of 16 Posts