Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I am about to join the ranks of the oil-cooled (again) I have a question. What would you consider high mileage for an 86 1100?

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
60,000 miles?

That's a hard question to answer. If the motor has been rebuilt, babied, abused, raced, neglected or properly maintained...you know?

Mine had 20,000m on the speedo when I bought it 3 years ago but who knows what kind of life it had.

The chassis and bodywork might give you clues about its life. but a steam cleaning might hide that.

It comes down to whether you want the bike or not.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a second owner bike that seems to have been well taken care of and mod'ed. I've already decided that I'm buying but thought that I might ask what possible engine work I would be looking at. The bike runs strong and it reminded me of why I fell for the bike the first time. Not going to let this one get away.

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Once you get it, get a base line dyno run. If it gives you a nice chart with good numbers...maybe leave it be. Otherwise, money will get you power.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The previous owner had it dyno'd recently and I have seen the results. Don't look too bad to me but I think that I will have to dump the current pipe and can (Kerker). Of course the question then becomes what do I replace it with. I've always run Yoshimura but recently acquired a 600 Kat with a D&D and it seems to be a good setup also. Any opinions?

·
Registered
23 Posts
i got my 86 from a 4th owner w/ 19,000 sum miles on it........And i BEAT the piss out-of-it for seven years, most of its life in Mn. but ran it down South for a year and it shoot the tranny w/ 44,820 i didnt think i got a bad deal.

as for the pipe i ran a short yosh w/o the baffle but from what ive know and dont know other wise is that the stock pipe produces more H.P.

"I LOVED THAT BIKE"

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
The miles never really matter. just check how the bike has been looked after and ask the guy how often he changed the oil. Also ask him what brand of oil he used and where the oil filter is etc. you can usually judge if a bike has been look after by the owners answers.
Mine has 33 on the clock, I've had it for 4 years and only cover 2-3k per year.
The old stuff lasts forever if you look after it.

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Simon Orttan:
I like my Hindle
<hr></blockquote>

How did that get there? I thought that was about a pipe question...

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by GloveSave:
...The only thing that I believe that I want to change at the moment is the pipe and can. D&D seems to have the full system available for a good price. Anyone used one? As I said, the little kat that I have been blasting about on has one and it seems to be well made but might be a tad too loud.<hr></blockquote>

If you check out Dennis Kirk online, you'll see the Kerker K45 for the old 1100's at $237.00 ...yeah, I know it's old system, but $237 for a complete 4-1 has me thinking about it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well the mileage is slightly north of 55k but the bike is immaculate. Looking in the nooks and crannies I can't find any unreasonable build up. The compression test looks good. The bike has had regular 2500 mile oil changes with Motul. The current owner has kept records religiously on everything that has been done to the bike. He even has two copies of the shop manual. One for the shop and one to keep in the house. And I thought that I was kind of retentive. But the deal is done and I'll be picking the bike up this week coming.

The only thing that I believe that I want to change at the moment is the pipe and can. D&D seems to have the full system available for a good price. Anyone used one? As I said, the little kat that I have been blasting about on has one and it seems to be well made but might be a tad too loud.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It has a Kerker system on it now. Of course the can just might need repacking and it will be fine. I might try that first or just find a new can that will work with the kerker header. For some reason I seem to remember reading somewhere that the kerker isn't the best power producer out there. I guess that I need to keep in mind that I have absolutely no intention of racing the beast, I just want to be able to ride it wherever I want, whenever I choose.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I look forward to the pictures. The short pipes were always a bit suspect. I'm not too keen on kerker or cora stuff myself and was warned away from it by my power addicted friends. But if you like it and rather than waste money repack and get with it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts