Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a GSXR 1000 K4 that’s pretty much stock outside of a race tech spring on my rear shock. I was at Carolina Motorsports park last weekend and noticed a mild vibration in my handle bars after about 110...at first I thought I was gripping the handle bars to tight but when I eased up in the grip it was still there. I was running q3+ and had the instructors help me with some suspension set up. I currently have about 50k+ miles on the bike. Could my steering damper be on its way out or do I need to start looking at replacing front end components..I am thinking about converting this into a full track bike in the future.

·
Registered
38 Posts
yes check your steering damper, and the str/head brgs, jack bike under the mtr, set it on stands that support the eng cradle, if you use a steering head type stand it will interfere with accurately checking the bearing condition and tension.
the dampened shouldn't have any slack spots during lock to lock movements.
the STR bearings require accurate tension to work without causing weaving or shakes.
if your not sure you can check or set it take it to a competent mechanic, a badly set steering head can give you a scare you won't forget

1 - 3 of 3 Posts